Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well his reply is never - on this setting DAC provides xV and yA but rather - yes you can use it on this and this setting after seeing the tube spec sheet.
Now what You are experiencing i find really strange...as all those tubes work perfectly normal in my DAC and its a normal production model (meaning no tweaks requested/done on it)...
Did you try out RD?

Goran it is a marginal problem.

This is what the observable facts appear to be.

My high/low switch on my pre-revised DAC was PX4 and 300B.

AD1n worked most of the time on PX4. But NOT all the time. The output would drop to very quiet on one tube sometimes. Unsurprising.

It was better and worked ALL the time on 300B.

I would guess the 101D switch supplies 4.5V, even though the original was a 4V tube I think the Psvane one is 4.5V. So that's probably the difference between PX4 and 101D settings.

The facts in practice suggest that the circuit doesn't know what it has in it. So I think the Pac is supplying 4.5V at 1 amp to 101D and KR PX25. It just about gets away with working with the KR PX25 on this setting but it doesn't with RD or AD1n. But it is marginal and slight variations in the tubes will make or break it.

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure I am not.

So my recommendation is to use 300B for RD and AD1n. Do so at your own risk, though. But 101D is NOT good for sure.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Send that post to Lucasz Goran and see what he says and why I am wrong.

I'd love to see an answer.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Goran it is a marginal problem.

This is what the observable facts appear to be.

My high/low switch on my pre-revised DAC was PX4 and 300B.

AD1n worked most of the time on PX4. But NOT all the time. The output would drop to very quiet on one tube sometimes. Unsurprising.

It was better and worked ALL the time on 300B.

I would guess the 101D switch supplies 4.5V, even though the original was a 4V tube I think the Psvane one is 4.5V. So that's probably the difference between PX4 and 101D settings.

The facts in practice suggest that the circuit doesn't know what it has in it. So I think the Pac is supplying 4.5V at 1 amp to 101D and KR PX25. It just about gets away with working with the KR PX25 on this setting but it doesn't with RD or AD1n. But it is marginal and slight variations in the tubes will make or break it.

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure I am not.

So my recommendation is to use 300B for RD and AD1n. Do so at your own risk, though. But 101D is NOT good for sure.
Will try to get his response.
Secondly I’m using PX25 setting for the last several months as I’m not rolling anymore since hearing RD and it works perfectly from the get go.
I understand fully what you’re saying but as he is the one who cooked the dac and knows by heart circuits and if gives me green light to use particular tube at particular setting for me that’s it. I don’t try to question his reccomendation nor i have a knowledge to do so.
So far - no issues...
But as a matter of fact would be great if a circuit with custom settings for V&A would be feasible..

Reactions: Zero000

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have been experimenting with different heater settings for the AD1 tubes, one of which tests very bad, and the results are somewhat confusing. @adamaley is experiencing this same result.

On the recommended PX25 setting there is a large channel imbalance caused by one of the AD1s not being in very good shape. However, if I switch to the 300B setting the channel imbalance goes away and the pair sounds great. My speakers image “perfectly” so I can tell based on the centering of the vocals. Also, I played a couple mono albums and there was no shift in the soundstage when I hit my pre-amp’s mono button.

Anyone care to explain why the AD1 seems fine on the 300B setting but not the PX25?
Measure voltage at two larger pins
slightly lift up tubes. set dvm to dc and note
Tubes should be at correct voltage or very close
Then comment on what sounds are

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Cool Goran I am not blaming you or anyone BTW.

Anyway it keeps us all occupied and wondering what the f is going on LOL.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Cool Goran I am not blaming you or anyone BTW.

Anyway it keeps us all occupied and wondering what the f is going on LOL.
I don’t see it as “blaming” mate at all - you should know me by now;).
I’m just chasing same stuff as you/all of us are...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The clicking sound was in the DAC and I could see the meter reading flipping around between 2A and maybe 0.

The rest of the system is off.
Please take note to this. when the dac is cold no power and power SW is off is where you start
There is a needed time delay with an additional res load at cold start up in a given tube setting
So in this order
Ice cold no power
Select tube heater
insert tubes
Leave a small place to use a dvm to measure voltage
Then turn on dAc. In about 5 seconds a tiny click will be heard now tubes are at voltage of selected settings.
Now all tubes are fed at 5 volts dc
A resistor network using relays and hi wattage resisters are used to give tubes the correct voltage.
Note this the heater voltage is a combination of tube resistance and series resistance of heater circuit voltage.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Please take note to this. when the dac is cold no power and power SW is off is where you start
There is a needed time delay with an additional res load at cold start up in a given tube setting
So in this order
Ice cold no power
Select tube heater
insert tubes
Leave a small place to use a dvm to measure voltage
Then turn on dAc. In about 5 seconds a tiny click will be heard now tubes are at voltage of selected settings.
Now all tubes are fed at 5 volts dc
A resistor network using relays and hi wattage resisters are used to give tubes the correct voltage.
Note this the heater voltage is a combination of tube resistance and series resistance of heater circuit voltage.

This is exactly what I did but I was hearing a clicking sound when the probes were touching the pins.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Alrainbow bro am I wrong if i say that on each setting V&A are constant whichever tube you plug in? If so and as you also have the Pac can you do this measurements as i assume all Pacs should have the same values for the same setting...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No possible. maybe it’s just a coincidence

Not possible? I know what I did and what I heard.

What are your measurements for these tubes?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
@Alrainbow bro am I wrong if i say that on each setting V&A are constant whichever tube you plug in? If so and as you also have the Pac can you do this measurements as i assume all Pacs should have the same values for the same setting...
Call me I’ll explain and yes your wrong
The settings do not change voltage only series resistance

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Not possible? I know what I did and what I heard.

What are your measurements for these tubes?
I’m not saying your wrong
I’m only saying it makes no sense
The relays do click but use there own voltage supply so even if you short the pins no sound should be heard
The internal resistance may burn up due to over current. Only 300 b settings are straight from psu to tubes
Only when ice cold is there a resistance in series for 5 seconds

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Guys if I come across as rude or short in comments I’m sorry I’m just very busy and doing many things fast so I’m saying I’m no way do want anyone to feel I’m smarter or disrespectful to all.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Secondly I’m using PX25 setting for the last several months as I’m not rolling anymore since hearing RD and it works perfectly from the get go.

You prefer the RD to the AD1?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I am conducting some tests on my end. I have had issues with the tubes but out of respect to both Lukas and Lukasz, I haven't wanted to jump to conclusions an chose not to bring the issue to the forum.

I spoke to @dminches yesterday and agreed that it is worth broaching with the group. Things are not as straight forward on my end so, I'll reserve commentary for now.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: dminches

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't.

I think Loewe AD1, Osram PX25, Tung Sol 6A3, KR PX4, Sylvania VT-52 etc etc and quite a few more are all better.

I am also sure it is being decently driven in my DAC.

It's quite low in my overall rankings and I have really tried to like it.

However another Pac user likes it.

I maintain it must sound good in Pacs.

It does have an interesting sound however and I do use them. It's the best valve I know to make music sound 'live' and it does that to studio recordings. That's why I think it's odd and quite coloured.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Justin is like this tortoise when it comes to valve fights, periodically head butting. I will step aside like this cool cat

Reactions: iain and Zero000

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing