Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin get a heater circuit like LAMPI does now it’s not complex really and it makes the heater for 5 tubes perfect as in .2 volts correct and never above. It even has a delay voltage at turn on to keep all tubes even lower for a 5 seconds. This allows the filaments to get hot and no cold shot at startup. By the way most all tube circuits have such a delay

I always thought the two position switch was suboptimal and even posted before Pacifics etc came around that a multi-position switch would be better. It's pretty obvious really.

The rework will sort that out. It will also high handle high heater valves like Tesla RD27AS at 9.2 Watts properly.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It’s not that it was subpar as he did make other adjustments internally as the SW was toggled. But the new multi position SW allows for a more optimal sound of each tube type. So each tube used is closer

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Just having the DAC on should do it. TBH I doubt the Psvane will change much.

Burn in for older valves is more of an issue and more necessary if unused for many decades.

Don't know your experience with Psvanes, but I'll have to disagree with you. Already just five days in, roughly 100 hrs + down time, the WE274B's clarity and width and depth of soundstage have significantly improved, while the midrange has had its ups and downs, as is typical with burn in. I'm not alone in this. See the article at https://www.hifiwigwam.com/psvane-t-series-mk-ii-300b-and-6sn7-tubes-reviews/, specifically starting twelve paragraphs down: "Initial listening impressions were very misleading. AA Acoustics had warned me that the Psvanes need a burn-in period of some 300 hours..." He reports that the WE300B went through lots of ups and downs, not stabilizing and sounding like it should until around 300 hours.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
highstream I had a friend say the same about Psvane We 211s.

The only Psvane I own are 2A3. In the very first two box level 7 Lampizator they worked pretty well i.e. before the Big 7 existed. I think that two box level 7 was the best Lampizator I have heard TBH. At least in this house.

Anyway, I have never really noticed them change.

If you have noticed a change then hey - they have changed. Tis your reality, not mine:);)

I have been using valves for more than three decades. Maybe nearly four. I never really notice new valves change. But older valves yes. And I even see their measurements change on my valve tester. I have even documented it in this thread.

I had some NOS Raytheon rectifiers that were really noisy until they had a couple of hours on them. They improved for about 2 days. That's about the worst I have come across.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Eat your heart out Justin! LOL

Attachments

• extenders1.jpeg
    extenders1.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 6
  • extenders2.jpeg
    extenders2.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 9
  • extenders3.jpeg
    extenders3.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Alrainbow

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Norm you are kidding me...;):)

No matter. Bodges aside, have you managed to hear Tesla AD1 yet?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Not yet. waiting on China. May be here this week!

The extenders are REAL and they fit perfectly! Fine guage copper wire wrap and solder...magic!

Reactions: Zero000 and Golum

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
AL, I had my own which came from China. The issue was that they had 4 skinny legs and need 2 legs to be fat to fit the UX4 (300b style) socket in the Lampi. The DIY fix was to make 2 legs fat so we get a snug and secure fit for using big base tubes like T100, or tubes that need fat base adaptors like AD1.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
AL, I had my own which came from China. The issue was that they had 4 skinny legs and need 2 legs to be fat to fit the UX4 (300b style) socket in the Lampi. The DIY fix was to make 2 legs fat so we get a snug and secure fit for using big base tubes like T100, or tubes that need fat base adaptors like AD1.
I have a set of nos 101d like that. New socket adaptors are tight. It worked fine for me. In fact it’s attached to the tubes in boxes

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Not yet. waiting on China. May be here this week!

The extenders are REAL and they fit perfectly! Fine guage copper wire wrap and solder...magic!

I hope they hold out. Anyway really missing my Lampi and dying to try RD27AS which I suspect might, just might, trump AD1.

Only Golum has the required magic. Sans adaptors of course!:D

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I hope they hold out. Anyway really missing my Lampi and dying to try RD27AS which I suspect might, just might, trump AD1.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Do not mention....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Nothing to do with Lampi, rather bloody virus and deliveries from China...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

he is local to me. heheh.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
An observation on the TRP
as with all LAMPI dacs the recti rules to certain sound changes now this may seem complex or confusing to some who plan to but a tube set based on reviews of them. don’t be , the output tubes we use set the pace of the race per say.
The speed , stage , tone and lastly weight all come from the output tubes.
But this varies based on the recti.
But this post is Aimed directly at the TRP being used now and is as all TRP,s are. I’m fairly new to the trp.
But an old hand at LAMPI dacs
Owning a pac and GG2 now. The trp is just a few months and was not used at length due to just not getting to play much music.
The TRP seems to be much more sensitive to the recti being used and does not seem to follow all of the past top level recti, s either.
I’ll be posting on this topic over the next few days as revisit my stash.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Ed_K

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Need impressions as soon as things settle down. It's a pleasant surprise to have a new set of options for this wonderful instrument.

You might like to try the Russian YO-186 for us all and report back.;)

There are still more options. Seek and ye shall find.

Reactions: Golum

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
My GG2 isn't performing at top notch levels by any means. I've played with a few cheaper valves and I'm not getting the best from it. Having read a lot of stuff on here I'm wondering if anyone knows where it's best to source decent used valves for sale in the UK? I couldn't see much on Ebay and want to buy used to have a play.

Cheers, Tim

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
My GG2 isn't performing at top notch levels by any means. I've played with a few cheaper valves and I'm not getting the best from it. Having read a lot of stuff on here I'm wondering if anyone knows where it's best to source decent used valves for sale in the UK? I couldn't see much on Ebay and want to buy used to have a play.

Cheers, Tim
Lets start with which ones you tried?
Secondly, as you could read here best ones in gg2 were 242 and PX25 while some liked also ACME 300b. Talking about “normal” options...
Recti wise RK 5u4g, ACME 274b could be the top contenders...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing