Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
OK the JLSounds setup is installed and working.

The voltage adjust via meter test points is working.

But an extra Toroidy turned out to be necessary. Just waiting for that.

Really looking forward to trying these changes.

Reactions: iain and Tim F

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Pushed by few friends who are rolling tubes like no tmr in their TRPs (both output ones and rectifiers) i decided to try few NOS rectifiers and all three recommended by those guys are 5R4GY. I've got Telefunken, Brimar double mica and as a very nice gift Marconi one.
Using ACME as my rectifier of choice for over a year (OK i have better NOS expensive ones but not worth using them on a day to day basis) i have to say that all three of them perform absolutely exceptional by any means. Tried them with different output tubes RD27, 242 & 12/112A and they consistently deliver or bring the beauty out of them. I'm starting to think there is something special in this tube type. Highly recommended from my side.

Reactions: Zero000 and findog

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have an RCA 5R4GY but it's nothing special.

However I didn't realise Telefunken made any rectifiers we could use. That's interesting information Goran. Might get one.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
RCA is nothing special i had it - but seems like European ones have something in them and i really don’t know why is that so. All three of them are great great. And seems like Fivre is the king of them all but i don’t want to pay for it as the prices are kind of crazy (or I’m cheap)... 10D29D84-56D2-40E3-B3AC-FE7B8EFF67AB.jpeg 45BD0833-5DE2-4C3E-A70B-FA49089CC2F6.jpeg A975E720-07A3-4FBA-BE99-F163DCC13B7B.jpeg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a pair of Philips 5R4GYS but I have never tried them in my Pacific.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Kick them in David - might be a surprise...;)

Reactions: dminches

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Telefunken and Marconi don’t seem to come cheap either. I have a handful of 5R4GY’s, including a Brimar single Mica version, an RCA and a Fivre, though apparently not the “right” version. The PrimaLuna pre I had for a short while came with a Philips, but I didn’t find it particularly warm or inviting as advertised. All have done better in a Supratek preamp than Lampi TRP, though none have the magic of a 596. One thing I’ve read is that 5AR rectis last longer than 5U4 versions because they are designed handle the initial turn-on surge better, but I’m not sue where the 5R4 fits in there. I also don’t know if there’s an SQ effect in the difference, at least theoretically (https://tubemaze.info/sound-of-rectifier/).

I’ve read that Fivre tubes after awhile were either made by RCA or with their design.

Last edited:

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
@Golum, you've had before so many rectis to try, that it is very nice for me to read you like those old ones too.

5R4GY from Fivre is still one of my favorite and I use it most of the time in my Lampi. However, it is also good to know Fivre made different 5R4GY versions. I have four types and among them there is, for me, this special one. It has grey anode, double D getter and dark brown base. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-valve-tube-rolling-review-thread.26478/post-560706

5R4GY from RCA I find nothing special too, but some RCA rectis can be interesting. It reflects to the oldest, first batch 5U4G, those produced until 1944. They have bottom foil getter, smooth-plate anodes with two supporting rods in the middle and black base. Their strong side is linearity combined with incredibly natural highs, best I’ve heard in my system so far.
What I mean by foil getter is marked in the photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Golum, you've had before so many rectis to try, that it is very nice for me to read you like those old ones too.

5R4GY from Fivre is still one of my favorite and I use it most of the time in my Lampi. However, it is also good to know Fivre made different 5R4GY versions. I have four types and among them there is, for me, this special one. It has grey anode, double D getter and dark brown base. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-valve-tube-rolling-review-thread.26478/post-560706

5R4GY from RCA I find nothing special too, but some RCA rectis can be interesting. It reflects to the oldest, first batch 5U4G (or 5Z3 and 5X4g used with adapter), those produced until 1944. They have bottom foil getter, smooth-plate anodes with two supporting rods in the middle and black base. Their strong side is linearity combined with incredibly natural highs, best I’ve heard in my system so far.
What I mean by foil getter is marked in the photo below.
Hello!

Yes I have them quite a few now and I moved a bit towards NOS ones to see the flavor of them and so far they don't let down honestly (quite contrary).
Issue I have is that there is sooooo many of them that it is difficult to make any distinction among them unless you're really well informed and know which one to chase. Actually I remembered you've been saying good things about that Fivre recti and the Zurich guys are in love with those (they I believe have several diff versions of it - I would say for sure also the one you've posted picture of).
Marconi I'm listening just now and Brimar double mica are indeed really great ones so in general there are fantastic options for Lampi owners in terms of NOS rectifiers paired with fantastic NOS output tubes and the entire set can cost cca 150$ so you don't need to sell one of the kidneys to have stellar performance.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Hello!

Yes I have them quite a few now and I moved a bit towards NOS ones to see the flavor of them and so far they don't let down honestly (quite contrary).
Issue I have is that there is sooooo many of them that it is difficult to make any distinction among them unless you're really well informed and know which one to chase. Actually I remembered you've been saying good things about that Fivre recti and the Zurich guys are in love with those (they I believe have several diff versions of it - I would say for sure also the one you've posted picture of).
Marconi I'm listening just now and Brimar double mica are indeed really great ones so in general there are fantastic options for Lampi owners in terms of NOS rectifiers paired with fantastic NOS output tubes and the entire set can cost cca 150$ so you don't need to sell one of the kidneys to have stellar performance.
Thanks very much for this. The last few days I have been using a Brimar in my TRP. The result is fantastic. I think that I prefer this set-up to the EL 51s with a KR 5U4G. This is surprising to me because I did not like the Brimar in the original Atlantic or Golden Atlantic. The Brimar might be the inexpensive rectifier of choice for the EL51s.

In the mean time I await delivery of a GZ480 ordered from Ali Express in October. It has been 58 days and the item has yet to reach the USA.

Sfox7076

Jul 8, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
For those of you using 12 tubes, do any of you have actual 12 tubes and not 12As? 12s are hens teeth rare and vary from the 12A in regard to filament current only. I have always preferred the 01A to the 12A in all applications... To be clear, there are tradeoffs. The 01A has higher plate resistence and is lower current. But it just has this amazing sound. I use it in my preamp instead of my lampizator. I stick with a 46 in the Lampizator for casual listening.

Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
All of mine are 12As.

Shawn, when are you going to sell some of your WE 300Bs????

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I stick with a 46 in the Lampizator for casual listening.
Can the 46 tube be used in Lampi DACs without adapters?
Just like the 45 and the other DHTs?
What heater setting would a 46 tube require? the lowest 45 setting?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have always preferred the 01A to the 12A in all applications... To be clear, there are tradeoffs. The 01A has higher plate resistence and is lower current.
Can the 01A and the 12A be used without adapters in the Lampi DACs?
And again, if yes, with which heater setting for each?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
- Yes
- 300b

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Both 5V, 0.25A

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have been listening with the WE 275A / 422A combination. Mighty fine.

I am curious how the 300Bs compare. Very hard to find a reliable pair.

Reactions: adamaley

Sfox7076

Jul 8, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
The 46 needs a 5 to 4 pin adapter. Takes about 15 minutes to make. Parts are about $10-15. I use Western Electric/Bell Telephone wire because I am a lunatic. Do not do this if you don’t know how to do it. You won’t damage your lampi unless you tie the signal grid to the plate, but best to leave it to someone who knows how to make it. I always test each one I make by testing a 46 in it and testing it as a 45.

Dave, you have my email. We can talk as I am funding a speaker project. I looked to sell my quad of 1967, but the premium on a quad is too dear for most. I wanted more than what two single pairs cost because you won’t find another real quad anywhere. I did offer to throw in a 274B, if my ask was met, it wasn’t. Only ones I am not keen to sell are my 1947 US Army ones. The tube dealers are asking $20k a pair for the USN ones. Army are rarer, but I am not looking for that out of them if I ever sell them.

Attachments

• 9742B745-4A21-4BD0-B7C1-B3BD8800E6CC.jpeg
    9742B745-4A21-4BD0-B7C1-B3BD8800E6CC.jpeg
    768.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing