Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Those treated walls looks very nice :cool:
Do you have specs about the damping over frequency of those panels?
What are the room dimensions?

What was the issue with the old Accus? Just recapping?
Do you still have your gorgeous 211 amps?
What is your preferred amp these days? You still have the big Luxman?
35ft by 14 ft variable ceiling height due to three large and 5ft high recesses above the ceiling height for three large Velux windows. Completely detached from the main residence. Lucky to have that luxury, I guess.

Accuphase M-60s. Both failed over time because both had been repaired by an idiot who failed to mount one of the transistors on the heat sink properly in both monos. So they overeated and died approximately 1 year apart.

I have added some cooling fans as the M-60s have removable panels for some with power jacks too. They do get very hot dumping high Watts into the Duettas. No longer but still an issue to sort with fan speed as it is too high at the moment.

The Luxman is visible in the darker picture above if you look. I still have the 211s. Can't get myself to sell them. I have a vague plan to put them in the main residence with some AN/Es because I rate them better than anything Audio Note makes at any price on AN/Es despite the price tags on AN amps. You have to hear through price in this hobby or you're simply wasting your money. Potentially a large amount of it.

No specs I know of on the Acupanel. Google it. I don't think it is aimed at Audiophiles. It is working brilliantly in here. I think quite a lot of it is to do with the shear surface area it covers. Recommended in this room with dipoles is all I can say really.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW I e-mailed Accuphase Japan about fans yesterday. If I get a reply on a pair of 48 year old amps I will regard that as amazing.

At the time, Accuphase used Elna caps and Toshiba output transistors, FWIW. The caps still measure fine in mine. NOS Toshiba transistors for this are still available, but so are equivalents/copies.

I know this is way off topic, but it is my thread so I reserve the right;)

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Not necessarily - - the 120 hz hum could be from your electrical feed interacting with the GG3's transformer. I had a GG that had a mechanical transformer hum in my home, but was dead quiet at the previous owner's place, as well as at the Lampi tech shop when I sent it in for updates. But back my place, hum. My electrical feed seems to provoke that in gear, if at all possible. My Pacific had a similar issue. I'm grateful that my Horizon is dead quiet. Now, if my Taiko Extreme would stop its mechanical "singing", and my CHP M10, too....

How I can describe it but embarrassment and anger (at myself): I discovered today that while at the A-V shop a couple of months ago testing the GG for hum, I'd neglected to turn the tube setting back from 300B to 45 for the EML Anniversary 45's. After that, my system was off for two months, as my living room became a storage area while mitigating and rebuilding from water damage. So when I turned the system on earlier this week, the setting was still wrong, but I didn't notice it until today (no wonder the tubes lit up so much). The good news is that the bass hum disappeared, the bad is that a very audible and volume limiting tube hash appeared. I'm imagining that these excellent, hard to find tubes are now fried.

Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
How I can describe it but embarrassment and anger (at myself): I discovered today that while at the A-V shop to test the GG for hum, I'd neglected to turn the tube setting back from 300B to 45 for the EML Anniversary 45's as I was switching back and forth between tubes. After that, my system was off for two months, as my living room became a storage area while mitigating and rebuilding from water damage. So when I turned the system on earlier earlier this week, the setting was still wrong, but I didn't notice it until today (no wonder the tubes lit up so much). The good news is that the bass hum disappeared, the bad is that a very audible and volume limiting tube hash appeared. Afraid that I've fried these excellent, hard to find tubes.

In addition, while switching tubes today, the text from the LCD screen disappeared. Is that a setting? Pushing in the volume knob for 3 seconds didn't get any text.
I feel your pain. I made that same mistake when I had my GG2. Bye-bye 45's. I was always liked those too.

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
KR242 tubes.
Do you think we could collect info who would be interested to purchase these tubes?
And then approach KR Audio with joint preorder?
What do you think guys?
It is practically impossible to get a pair, so mass preorder could potentially make the trick.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I just joined the Pacific club!

Anybody have a spare RK SE 5U4G they want to part with?
Congrats, awesome DAC in an awesome system :cool:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Do you think we could collect info who would be interested to purchase these tubes?
What do you think guys?
It is practically impossible to get a pair, so mass preorder could potentially make the trick.
Don't want to be a party pooper but good luck with Eunice...I would assume her understanding of the word "mass preorder" might be diff to ours....
I spoke with Yoda about that few months ago when he was here...

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
KR242 tubes.
What do you think guys?
I'm on board for this. Great idea!

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I'm on board for this. Great idea!
I have actually dropped an email to Eunice from KR Audio to check whether she would be ready to produce a batch of 30-40 pairs.
Let's see what she responds with. I would take 2 pairs, and a friend of mine would take another 2 pairs.
I wonder how would that be with other users of Pacific. But I hope 30 pairs is not unlikely, what do you think guys?
And just to be clear I have asked about regular KR 242 (I have a pair of KR242 and KR242RK and strongly prefer regular version).
I will keep you all posted.

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have actually dropped an email to Eunice from KR Audio to check whether she would be ready to produce a batch of 30-40 pairs.
Let's see what she responds with. I would take 2 pairs, and a friend of mine would take another 2 pairs.
I wonder how would that be with other users of Pacific. But I hope 30 pairs is not unlikely, what do you think guys?
And just to be clear I have asked about regular KR 242 (I have a pair of KR242 and KR242RK and strongly prefer regular version).
I will keep you all posted.
I have got a super fast response from Eunice. She is willing to make a production run for 60-80 KR 242 tube pieces. She indicated that it would be latest by June this year.
I am not sure how to proceed best? My immediate suggestion would be that each of us shoots an email to Eunice with the number of KR242 tubes that you would like to order.
Here is her email address: eunice.kron@gmail.com
Let me maybe open a new thread so that we can count how many tubes we will order in total. Does it sound like a plan?
I just want to make one thing clear up front - I am in no way connected to KR Audio, nor Eunice, and I am not running any audio related business. I am just a happy user of Lampi products.

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
And hereby the link where you can list your desired amount of KR242 tubes:

Reactions: Blake

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have got a super fast response from Eunice. She is willing to make a production run for 60-80 KR 242 tube pieces. She indicated that it would be latest by June this year.
I am not sure how to proceed best? My immediate suggestion would be that each of us shoots an email to Eunice with the number of KR242 tubes that you would like to order.
Here is her email address: eunice.kron@gmail.com
Let me maybe open a new thread so that we can count how many tubes we will order in total. Does it sound like a plan?
I just want to make one thing clear up front - I am in no way connected to KR Audio, nor Eunice, and I am not running any audio related business. I am just a happy user of Lampi products.
Eunice is no spring chicken, I have met her and shaken her hand in person. She probably isn't a fool having run a company for a good few years.

That said a mass order for KR242? I wouldn't bother waking her up. It's an OK valve but it isn't top.

It has some weird specification that bears absolutely none, and I really do mean no match to the original Telefunken valve on my tester. In listening sessions it doesn't sound anything like the original, even when I found a genuinely NOS pair on the test bench I never reported here, though I did talk about and showed the first pair I found on this thread with photos.

Just stating the facts as I have found them.

Reactions: DennisH

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It has been apparent to me that the best valves or as the Americans like to call them, tubes, or in other words I have found I listen to in practice the most have 4V filaments.

Why that is I don't know. Does it matter? No. It's just a personal observation. They just seem to come from the "house of the best".

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I just now ordered a NOS matched pair of Visseaux TMBF1, and a PX25 (B4) > PX25 (UX4) adapter.

Lampi optimized my GG2's at the factory to run 242's, so I am hoping the experiment works out. My daily driver are KR RK 242's and I am very happy with them.

I understand TMBF1 uses the same heater setting as 242?

Valvo AZ1 Mesh also just arrived today with adapter and now burning in (Telefunken AZ1 mesh on the way). To date, I've been running KR RK 5U4G and Takatsuki 274b in the rectifier position.

Valvo AZ1-mesh.jpg

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
All fantastic tubes - tbfm1 looking quite crazy on top. Nothing beats the beauty of those mesh plates and i hope it sings in your DAC

Reactions: Blake

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
I've not posted on this thread before - part of me wonders what I might be able to add given the volume of information that is here (I skim read all 155 pages last night during a wonderfully monster listening session until the very wee hours of the morning, knowing that today is day off!)

HeiHei, who I know personally, loaned me his KR242s to try in my VC GG1. I'd only listened to them for an hour or so before I concluded I really didn't like how 'shouty' they were (too forward, too bright, too harsh) and at times they were simply distorting at the higher end of the frequency range. HeiHei suggested I turn down the volume on Roon to prevent the pre-amp - a Concert Fidelity CF 080 LSX - from becoming over saturated. This works well but turning the volume down on the DAC itself works better.

Once I did this the whole thing snapped into focus; the results were quite special and orders of magnitude different to my thus far preferred 300Bs.

On that point, I have always run my GG with 300Bs and a RK 5u4G rectifier. I started out with cheap Chinese tubes that came with the (reconditioned) DAC, but then moved to PSVANE Acme 300Bs, which I liked very much. I then tried the reissue WE300B (also courtesy of HeiHei) and liked those even more, but the cost to buy was twice what i paid for the PSVANE and I didn't really see the value.

But then Greg at G-Point offered me a set of well used (50% measured life left) original Western Electric 300Bs for a very good price, so I part exchanged my PSVANEs for those and have been enjoying their magic for six months. In the end, after PXing the PSVANEs they cost me ~EUR1200

It's churlish to talk about which are better, the WE300Bs or the KR242s, that would be like arguing over whether a Hasseblad 503 is a better camera than a Mamiya RB67; they aren't even the same aspect ratio for a start!

The differences are stylistic and personal preference will dictate which you enjoy more; the WE300Bs offer much more openness, spaciousness and transparency. The soundstage is larger with more depth and 3D imaging. The sound is fluid and effortless and very easy to listen to for long periods without any fatigue. These original tubes sound better than the reissues but they are very like the reissues (or rather the reissues are like the originals).

The KR242s are fast, focused and full of energy. They drive the music along with tempo, pace and verve, injecting a considerably amount of what I like to call 'hurry up', a phrase that occurred to me when listening to a pair of 2watt Thomas Mayer 211 power amps driving a pair of Pnoe speakers; the music sounded diaphanously, pellucidly transparent, gossamer thin and gorgeous but ultimately I was left feeling impatient, like trying to coax a small child into putting on their shoes – ‘would you just get a bloody hurry up on!’

I love the energy of the 242s; love the emphasis and edginess they give to the music, something that a 300B could never hope to achieve. In the context of my system, which comprises Silvercore 833 MKII SET amps and Horns FP10s down the chain, that energy and drive is very welcomed, but if I had to only have one pair, it would be the WE300Bs, my originals, not the reissues. Fortunately this is not an either or situation, but rather a ‘yes and’ one. Interestingly, I also find that I don’t switch depending on the music I am listening to, but rather the mood I am in. All styles of music benefit from the qualities of these two vastly divergent tubes, and it’s rather the mood of listener that determines preference on any given evening. Vive la difference etc.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
That's how I ended up feeling with the Pacific - I'd have one pair in for a month or so, then switch, and loving the change. Then back again!

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I do this with Horizon as well :) Finally dialing it in. The KT170s were really in my way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing