Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
HI. I just bought an Atlantic 3 TRP. I opted for the Lin Lai KT88 and a stock Shuguang 5U4G. The LL KT88 seems to sound good on the get go. It sounds dynamic and expressive. The Shuguang 5U4G, i replaced with a KR RK 5U4G and this one sounded more refined and has much better imaging and depth than the Shuguang. However, it seemed slower, hence, I feel it sounds less expressive. In your experience, will the KR RK sound more dynamic and expressive after break in? TIA!

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Best to to wait to see what you have once the tubes settle in. One thing you didn’t mention is your preference in tonality. While I don’t recall which Shuguang recti I had, 274B or 5U4G, I never thought of the RK as slow. What disqualified it for me was the lack of any warmth. I found my self listening to the tube (hardware) rather than the music, an experience that I don’t find pleasant. To each, their tastes.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@ Boggy
Hope you’re enjoying your new dac! I too had received mine with LL KT88’s but paired with the Aqua 274B. I quickly moved away from the KT8’s because things sounded too congested/heavy in my system. While there was plenty of bottom end things just seemed too wooly. The top end had some extension but everything sounded a little to crispy for my taste. That changed a little when using a different rectifier but not enough to make me love the tube. Are you running S/E or balanced?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@ Boggy
Hope you’re enjoying your new dac! I too had received mine with LL KT88’s but paired with the Aqua 274B. I quickly moved away from the KT8’s because things sounded too congested/heavy in my system. While there was plenty of bottom end things just seemed too wooly. The top end had some extension but everything sounded a little to crispy for my taste. That changed a little when using a different rectifier but not enough to make me love the tube. Are you running S/E or balanced?

Quickly moved away before or after full burn in, i.e. ~300 hours?

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
That quad had 2 weeks of “on time” averaging 6-8 hrs a day plus listening time. That would mean probably 1/2 of the 300 you mentioned above. If they didn’t sound great after that they’re never going to.

I do find that the character changes depending upon the rectifier but the rectifier’s I had here needed run time as well. I tried the KT88’s with a Chatham 5R4 (which was NOS) and things were a little better but not great.

I installed a quad of 6L6G Sovteks with a Globe 80 and that worked really well but unfortunately the old Globe 80 was on it’s last leg and died after 2 weeks of use.

At this point in time I’ve been using a quad of early 60’ Sylvania 6BQ6GT’s (with adapters) paired with the Chatham. These have been run in for just over a week now and are sounding really good.

The 6BQ6GT is an interesting tube as it was originally designed as a horizontal deflection amplifier for old time TV’s. It has a very natural sound that when first exposed seems like it’s high frequencies are rolled off, similar to the voicing of a nice R2R dac. Upon further break in you realize the information is there, it’s just not an overly bright presentation. I’ll continue with these until my next order of 6L6’s arrive-

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
That quad had 2 weeks of “on time” averaging 6-8 hrs a day plus listening time. That would mean probably 1/2 of the 300 you mentioned above. If they didn’t sound great after that they’re never going to.

Somewhere I noted recently that if the user doesn't go at least 300 hours on the vast majority of new hardware, including accessories, they're going to make some bad decisions that will cost a lot of money. Just in the past three weeks here, the greatest rectifier tube that I've ever heard by far, an early 1930's Telefunken RGN2000 mesh, started from gloriously warm, to cool, to glorious again at ~225, back to cool 24 hours later, and then inch toward a bit warm but not quite make it at 350 hours (I'll probably come back to it for another 100 to be sure). One cable maker, Morrow Audio, even lays out the changes to expect on the way to 400 hours with their cables. For used hardware, including tubes, I've found ~150 usually works, unless they've been out of commission for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mamon

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Yes- also interactions within the system as a whole can also present itself to be a major influence in the results we hear. I’m not totally writing off the KT88’s but it seems from past posts here as well that it isn’t really a big hit.
As this was my first exposure to them with the Golden Atlantic 3 I’m of the opinion that it may just boil down to the voicing and properties of LinLai’s version and/or how it plays along within my system. I tried a quad of KT-150’s as well (fully broken in) and they did not play well either. Stepping back to 6L6G opened everything up and made everything sound more agreeable across the board.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The Sophia KT88 was my favorite in the TRP, and I had tried (and enjoyed) quite a few, from late 1930’s Sylvania 6F8G to Tesla El51’s to the Sophia EL34, and a whole lot in between. In a Supratek preamp, I loved the early 1960’s RCA 6L6GC’s as power tubes. I’d listen for ideas but wouldn’t decide on what anyone else thinks are better or worse types of tubes.

Reactions: Mamon and Designsfx

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
@ Boggy
Hi. I will read on the Aqua 274B. It seems that it is very well liked here. Is it a direct plug in or do I need an adaptor? I am running my A3 balanced. Thanks!

Reactions: Designsfx

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
Best to to wait to see what you have once the tubes settle in. One thing you didn’t mention is your preference in tonality. While I don’t recall which Shuguang recti I had, 274B or 5U4G, I never thought of the RK as slow. What disqualified it for me was the lack of any warmth. I found my self listening to the tube (hardware) rather than the music, an experience that I don’t find pleasant. To each, their tastes.
I prefer a tad warmer than neutral. My priority is dynamic and temporal contrast without being bright. Thanks!

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Hi. I will read on the Aqua 274B. It seems that it is very well liked here. Is it a direct plug in or do I need an adaptor? I am running my A3 balanced. Thanks!
Hey Boggy-
The Aqua is a really nice tube and does not require an adapter. Not sure if Sophia Electric has them in stock at the moment but you can usually find one in the various classified marts.
Did you go with volume control on your A3? Golden package?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hey Boggy-
The Aqua is a really nice tube and does not require an adapter. Not sure if Sophia Electric has them in stock at the moment but you can usually find one in the various classified marts.

The Sophia doesn't need an adapter. The Aqua II is an all around improvement.

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
Hey Boggy-
Great! Standard A3 TRP, balanced with no Volume Controller. Thanks again!

Reactions: Designsfx

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@Zero000
Great setup! Send me a note about your display

Reactions: Zero000

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
I’m trying a new quad of 6L6’s this evening, the Sovtek 6L6WXT+. Wondering if anyone else has tried this in their TRP and if they decided to keep them long term or not.

I’ve only had them playing a couple of hours but they have nice clarity and drive. These seem to be lacking a little in the low end punch area- I think that will improve with more time.

Overall their sounding good so far! Not expensive compared to others out there- an Apex matched quad goes for $160 so a pretty good bargain.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I’m trying a new quad of 6L6’s this evening, the Sovtek 6L6WXT+. Wondering if anyone else has tried this in their TRP and if they decided to keep them long term or not.

I’ve only had them playing a couple of hours but they have nice clarity and drive. These seem to be lacking a little in the low end punch area- I think that will improve with more time.
Compared to what other tubes you use(d)?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing