LDMS Server

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The gulf stream is new and totally upgraded. Hardware is top notch overbuilt. Ldms will always have software edge and has great hardware tweaks too. You can’t go wring with either but with ldms the customer care will be lightning speed reactive.

pros and cons to both but overall edge goes to ldms. Ideally I would want a gulf stream totally reworked by ldms guy. That way you get lampi look and killer hardware and ldms killer implementation. Heheh

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I received my Mini a few days ago. Now I have the mini as only for Roon core/library and my existing Pico for use only as a renderer.
Mini is powered by the new hybrid PS and the Pico is powered both by a Ferrum for the reclocker and the stock Farad S3

So 5 boxes only for source. Maybe too much but it sounds fine.

View attachment 94769
How do u like the hybrid psu?

Reactions: K3RMIT

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Reactions: K3RMIT

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’m about to get my Lampi TRP repaired and upgraded. One aspect of the latter I’ve been planning on is the USB to JL upgrade, plus the Superclock Sandwich upgrade, with the LDMS and Qobuz in mind, at least at the top of the list. Anything I should know before confirming this. Thanks,

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I’m about to get my Lampi TRP repaired and upgraded. One aspect of the latter I’ve been planning on is the USB to JL upgrade, plus the Superclock Sandwich upgrade, with the LDMS and Qobuz in mind, at least at the top of the list. Anything I should know before confirming this. Thanks,
If you should use LDMS incl. reclocker ask LD befor you‘ll upgrade to JL… I can’t use Sinope in my sys with the reclocker but it works LDMS directly to TRP… Could be that I‘ve an old JL board and the latest would work…

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply, which is just in time, as I am planning to ship the dac to Poland in Monday. I’ve written Lucas.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Def speak to Lucas D as to pros / cons of switching to the JL USB board. Worth noting that for PCM material, connecting an LDMS to Lampi via SPDIF gives superior results to USB. I now just use USB for DSD material.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph and Golum

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
First, Lucas says no problem with JL boards since TRP s/n 1400. Mine is 1600.

I currently use the spdif port from a heavily modified digital only Oppo 203. Rob of Lampi NA strongly suggested the USB port over using the BNC one for a server/streamer (of course, it’s one or the other with spdif). I never thought to ask Lukasz when we spoke last weekend in Seattle.. Lucas, though, noted that USB is more transparent while spdif is more lush. I am not a fan of what’s called neutral, but prefer a modestly warm tone, tho not syrupy.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Def speak to Lucas D as to pros / cons of switching to the JL USB board. Worth noting that for PCM material, connecting an LDMS to Lampi via SPDIF gives superior results to USB. I now just use USB for DSD material.
You’re not the first one having this experience ;)

Reactions: Phon@ix and heihei

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Good to know this (Golum, I sent you a PM a couple of weeks ago about this subject). I’m stuck or fixed with the Oppo in the system, which is not only needed for CD/DVD, but also for TV sound and the advantage of being able to see files on the screen when using the Oppo’s USB inputs.

To use both spdif inputs (RCA & BNC) on the TRP would be a matter of switching modes with the Lampi’s remote, although with the Oppo involved I had wondered if it would be more complicated than if the switch is to USB.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi Gene;

Sorry I was on business trips for the last three weeks and completely forgot to answer. Apparently several users of LDMS prefer the new spdif connection over USB as Heihei advise and two of my really good buddies are getting the LDMS upgrade next week with this same spdif out. What i know is that this spdif is capable to push 2x DSD over it but I'm not 100% certain about this.
My honest opinion is that Oppo might/is good but proper server in form of LDMS or something in this range is just another ballgame.

Cheers;
G

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I cant say why but many dacs benifit from a non usb input. I have a few dacs all are better on spidif
I can confirm dsd 64 and 128 i use it.
Im sure some dacs are fine on usb , but given the pain most go through to use usb its simplar to use soidif

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Lucas D suggested to me last year to use SPDIF ilo FTA. I find SPDIF SQ to be slightly better. I am getting my upgraded LPSU at the end of next week so I will be interested to see how that improves my overall music.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
..but given the pain most go through to use usb its simplar to use soidif
Al can you elaborate on above? What pain? Its plug and play in 99% of cases...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Nothing in digital is plug and play ,
For one thing more expensive dacs like lampi as an example make usb plug and play mostly
But cheaper dacs not so much.
This is where pain comes in .
A simple ideon usb re clocker is plug and play .
But once you leave anything usb
As a source you now enter into a mindfield of possible pain .
LDMS does all of the pain in his setups for us.
He has helped me sort things out
Fast always.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
For those of you who have purchased the updated and improved Power Supply what are your impressions? I have about 30 hours of listening on mine with a Purple SR fuse in it. It did take a couple of listening sessions for it to open up but now the clarity and micro detail are even greater. Thank you Lucas D.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
LD was here one week ago and brought by his new hybrid power supply. It took me not even 10 seconds to recognize it‘s massive improvement. Amazing mids and HF. At the beginning I missed LF but after +\- 1.5 days burn in it was also full and articulated. My sys got more micro details, dynamics and precision, better tonal separation, blacker background and bigger‘n‘higher soundstage. We got same results in Fabio’s system. It is very impressive what this new psu teases out of my chain. In my opinion a must have for every LDMS owner - great price/performance ratio.

Attachments

• DFF82913-E5DB-46D2-BC53-888EB89CD41D.jpeg
    DFF82913-E5DB-46D2-BC53-888EB89CD41D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • C2AD556D-B94B-4FB0-86CE-43B01DF21BEC.jpeg
    C2AD556D-B94B-4FB0-86CE-43B01DF21BEC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 44847067-39FA-4A2F-8CDF-E084D22DD95E.jpeg
    44847067-39FA-4A2F-8CDF-E084D22DD95E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • 9082EC80-9C5D-4867-A777-83A257B7F393.jpeg
    9082EC80-9C5D-4867-A777-83A257B7F393.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 21

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
LD was here one week ago and brought by his new hybrid power supply. It took me not even 10 seconds to recognize it‘s massive improvement. Amazing mids and HF. At the beginning I missed LF but after +\- 1.5 days burn in it was also full and articulated. My sys got more micro details, dynamics and precision, better tonal separation, blacker background and bigger‘n‘higher soundstage. We got same results in Fabio’s system. It is very impressive what this new psu teases out of my chain. In my opinion a must have for every LDMS owner - great price/performance ratio.
Beautiful! Having exactly the same with white logo on top. I really gets better with a higher grade powercable. I power both Mini and Pico from this PSU and thus having a David Laboga DC Y-cable. Lucas have set my PSU to 24 volt DC for both servers saying it sounds better. I trust him on that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing