Legacy Audio Aeris - My Take

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
EARLY TAKE

Why did I buy a pair of Legacy Audio Aeris speakers? With so many speaker options available in this price range and below, what made me choose the Aeris?

I've owned countless speakers during the 58 years I've been involved in this hobby, and I can't recall half of them. Some of these speakers left me with fond memories. I've also had the opportunity to listen to numerous speakers at audio shows, which helped me develop an appreciation for certain brands and designs.

What I was searching for was a speaker that would be room-friendly and compatible with tube amplifiers. It needed to provide full-range sound and handle music's dynamic extremes effortlessly. We wanted a speaker that could deliver high-volume levels without straining. Both my wife and I listen at realistic levels, possibly what one might call 'concert levels.' Naturally, refinement was a critical factor. These criteria significantly narrowed down my choices: the ability to perform well in any room, deep and refined bass, full-range capability, and tube amplifier friendliness.

I scoured the internet for reviews of the Aeris to understand where these speakers stand in comparison to others. Surprisingly, there wasn't an abundance of information available, despite these speakers being on the market for a long time. However, a few reviews were highly commendable and were written by experienced audiophiles. One of these reviewers reached out to me and provided a wealth of information about Legacy and the product. Some reviews mentioned the substantial bass output, and one particularly emphasized the remarkable bass delivery due to the four 12" bass drivers and two passive radiators dedicated to the low end.

I've always had an affinity for Legacy Audio. Back in the day, the Whispers were a dream. I've attended many audio shows where Legacy was present, and while I didn't pay much attention to the sound, the Aeris caught my eye as one of the most attractive speakers I'd ever seen. With the help of audio reviews and conversations with Legacy owners, I began to believe that these speakers might work well with my equipment. I say "might" because my integrated amp might not be compatible with the Wavelet, which was part of the package and designed to help make the system room-friendly. Conversations with Legacy suggested the Wavelaunch, as my Integrated had no preamp outputs. With the help of forum members, Mark in particular, I bought the Wavelet II and made it work.

The wait was nearly six months. Since I already owned great speakers, the Spatial X3's, I exercised patience as it seems that many products experience significant delays these days. The Aeris eventually arrived and has been playing in my 16' x 20' dedicated audio room, treated but not excessively. I have three dedicated circuits and utilize Puritan Audio AC distribution for most of the components, while the amplifier is plugged into Furutech outlets.

My setup includes the Allnic T2000 30th Anniversary Integrated, the Allnic D10000 DAC, and the Allnic H5500 Phono stage. The D10000 DAC replaced a Holo May KTE DAC, and I had concerns about the potential impact of the Wavelet on the Allnic's sound. More on that later. My sources include a Rega P10, Roon streaming, and a Pro-Ject RS2-T CD Transport.

For those interested in the setup, there were challenges as both I and Legacy Audio, along with the Music Room, wondered how I would connect the Wavelet to an integrated amplifier with no audio outputs. I resolved this issue by using a Serbian JFET-designed preamp, the Acoustic Invader, which works effectively. Furthermore, the Allnic T2000 allows for an additional preamp. This I discovered by reading the Allnic manual. Imagine that, reading a manual.

EARLY IMPRESSIONS

I've logged approximately 100 hours on the speakers and fewer hours on the cables. It's important to note that the Wavelet lacks a linear power supply and uses a cheap switcher. My computer is powered by a Dell brick, so keep that in mind.

Out of the box, these speakers exude a serious yet beautiful presence. They blend old-school cabinet craftsmanship with modern technological gadgetry. The upper part of the cabinet can even illuminate in blue, revealing the inner electronics—a cool feature for those who appreciate such aesthetics. Break-in was typical, with a slightly wonky initial sound that gradually settled in after about 10 hours and continued to refine as more hours accumulated. I must admit that, especially according to my wife, there wasn't much in terms of soundstage depth initially, nor did they exhibit much holography, but this changed at around 80 hours and has continued to do so in a very positive manner.

Cables. I wish it were 1995 when I was much smarter and didn't believe that cables could make a difference. However, I've since spent a significant amount of money on cables and have come to realize their importance in all aspects of high end audio. This is a given for 98% of audiophiles I know but especially important with the Aeris. These speakers demand careful consideration of cable selection and power supplies to extract the most from them.

So, how do they sound? At this point, pretty much as hoped for. It's been quite a journey since the unpacking, and while I won't delve into the setup challenges, I can say that it's all sorted out now, well, mostly.
Go to part 2

Attachments

• 20231021_093558.jpg
    20231021_093558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20231021_093457.jpg
    20231021_093457.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231021_093432.jpg
    20231021_093432.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231021_093411.jpg
    20231021_093411.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 66

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Part 2
Early on, my wife was critical of the lack of space, particularly in terms of depth in the soundstage. Music played between the speakers and appeared to lack the holographic effect she desired. Comparing these speakers to the Gradient Evolutions that once graced our living room or the MBLs I owned for a while it is unrealistic as a comparison. However, with approximately 100 hours of playtime, we've now achieved holographic space. At times, it extends beyond the room's boundaries, with performers seeming to occupy separate spaces in the room while still maintaining a cohesive overall performance. We have a layer of depth, though not the best I've ever heard. That 'layered' depth was exceptional and often compromised other aspects of the performance. It's not something I crave but welcome when it happens. I didn't hear that same level of depth on any other system except for when I was listening to Linkwitz Orions at a recent audio show but again, an exception with an exceptional speaker system.
With the Aeris this illusion of space and depth seems to grow stronger with every listen.

The integration of all these drivers coming together as one is remarkable, as many reviews have already pointed out. Initially, the sound wasn't as seamless, with a somewhat raw and wonky quality. However, now it's seamlessly integrated. You might think that with so many bass drivers in play, the lower registers would dominate the music, but that's not the case. It's an extremely well-balanced sound. If you're used to stand-mount speakers, you might be in for a shock. If there's bass in the recording, you'll experience it, and it's visceral, and textural.

The Air Motion tweeters. My current collection of speakers includes the Buchardt S400 MK II's, Clearwave 5R's featuring Raal tweeters, Spatial X3's with a large AMT tweeter, and my recently sold Usher Tower XL's with a DMD (diamond) tweeter. These are all excellent tweeters that all have their unique signitures. My MBL's to, having a great tweeter and it's own signature. However, I find that the Air Motion tweeters on the Aeris are not only more extended than the aforementioned tweeters but also excel in reproducing the upper range of vocals. They don't call attention to themselves other than displaying the highest frequencies possible. I wouldn't call them sweet however, when changing the T2000 to triod mode, a sweetness came into play but did not to my ears diminish or roll off the highest registers. I'll need more time as I'm not confident in this. I don't recall the crossover point, but whatever it is, the two-piece tweeter array plays seamlessly and provides the necessary bite for instruments that require that edge.

Almost every track I played on these speakers completely engaged me. Some tracks did so to an extent that I had to stand up and leave the room. I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing. On one occasion, I played an album from Robert Plant, 'Shaken 'N' Stirred,' a track called 'Little by Little.' The music, instruments, drums, bass guitar, and vocals came alive, filling the room with distinct, separate elements that still formed a cohesive whole. The bassline was particularly distinct and provided a solid foundation for Plant's vocals, which occupied center stage. I was so emotionally engaged that when the song ended, I had to once again get up from the couch and leave the room. I had to remind myself that this came from my Rega P10/Allnic phono stage. Admittedly, I had connected a pair of DH-Labs balanced Revelation cables on loan, and they're not going back. (yes, they beat up a pair of Amazon balanced cables but they were well reviewed..;)

I played a wide range of tracks on these speakers, including Death Cab For Cutie, Andrea Bocelli, SRV, Porcupine Tree, Neil Young, Al Di Meola, Lana Del Ray, Norah Jones, Sarah Brightman, Fleetwood Mac and others, each track took a significant leap forward from where they sounded so good before. I don't seek out well-recorded tracks; I look for great songs from my years of music discovery. If my system can't perform well without constant tweaking, such as using HQPlayer or a DAC with 50 filter settings, I won't like it.

Did I mention the Wavelet II? I won't delve into the specifics of the DAC/Pre/Room correction device, but I can confidently say that it works. I've played with room correction software in my home theater setup, which uses Dirac Live — a somewhat painful process, especially when you're dealing with 11 channels of sound. In contrast, the Wavelet is straightforward, user-friendly, and remarkably effective. I had concerns about the output of my D10000 DAC having to undergo another digital-to-analog conversion in the Wavelet. I tested the Wavelet DAC on its own and found that it sounded like, well, a very good DAC. However, the Allnic DAC was far superior. In fact, the Allnic doesn't sound like a DAC at all as it loses that 'electronic instrument' quality I noted with most DAC's I've heard/owned; it allows music to flow through it seamlessly. I still get the Allnic sound through the Wavelet, though perhaps not entirely. More on that later. The Wavelet offers a plethora of inputs and outputs, which I appreciate. I found it intelligently designed, and the Wavelet app is well-designed too. I'm not a fan of software sliders. I find them cumbersome to use and there's a delay when adjusting 'contours' a weird expression for tone controls. I wanted an add-on accesory for the IPAD, a set of rotary knobs glued to the side of the IPAD. I can dream can't I? But they worked effectively and there was a bonus. I didn't use them when listening to music. Why? Because most of the songs held up brilliantly all by themselves without my fiddling about.

Almost a week ago, I was playing a track from Anne Bisson's album 'Blue Mind.' It was so clear and present that it felt as if she were in my room. Then the song ended, and Qobuz played a track I'd never heard before, Chantal Chamberlin's 'Temptation.' Once again, I was in awe of what I was hearing from my system. This was followed by another fantastic track from an artist but I can't recall. I left the room to find my wife and bring her to the audio room, saying, "You've got to hear this." However, when I returned to play the last three songs, nothing would play. Absolutely nothing. I assumed it was a network issue and spent about 1.5 hours fiddling with settings, cables, the modem, and switches, all to no avail. I eventually gave up and went to bed.

Upon returning home after a weekend watching an eclipse, I decided to tackle my network issues, given the many switches I had, some of which were old. I purchased a high-quality Zytel switch from Amazon, but when I tested my system after the upgrade, I still couldn't get any output. I stripped down the system to just the computer connected to the Wavelet—still no sound. I attempted every possible test, but the Wavelet behaved perfectly normal and showed no signs of malfunction, yet it failed to output a signal anywhere, including our turntable. When I tested the system without the Wavelet, everything worked fine. I had the Wavelet shipped back to Legacy Audio, and I'm currently awaiting a replacement.

Go to Part 3

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Part 3
The Sound without the Wavelet II

I anticipated hearing loose, boomy bass and a less cohesive soundstage without the Wavelet. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The bass remained tight and well-controlled, still delivering some of the best bass I've ever heard. I'm comparing this to Wilson speakers, which are known for their bass performance. I don't mean to suggest that the Aeris outperforms the Wilsons; I'm merely stating that I can't remember better bass, and the Wilsons were exceptionally good in that department. As I played track after track, the sound remained visceral, dimensional, and cohesive without the Wavelet. Perhaps there's even greater purity in the recording that I'm hearing?

I attempted to remove the Waversa LAN network filter but found that after about three minutes, I had to put it back in. The sound became noisy, and the Aeris speakers proved to be quite sensitive, more so than any other speakers I've owned, in terms of their sensitivity to the source. I've been using a $1400 Serbian-designed preamp in place of the Wavelet. My gut feeling is that this allowed the Allnic D10000 DAC to showcase more of its inherent purity of sound. The Allnic DAC doesn't employ output transformers or output coupling caps, and when I mentioned that it doesn't sound like a DAC, I truly mean it. Music simply flows through it. I found the Holo May KTE DAC to be a fine instrument, and while it was the best DAC I owned before the Allnic, I don't miss it either.

Cables and Power Supplies

As I mentioned earlier, the Aeris and the upstream components, particularly the Wavelet, require high-quality cables and power supplies. Linear power supplies are difficult to find (at least until yesterday), and I've been using the provided switcher. Without a doubt, the sound will improve with better power supplies and power cables. I've had the opportunity to use a 3m Audioquest Pegasus on loan and hope to test a Kabula Sosna cable someday. I also used the DH-Labs Revelation cable, which I purchased for the connection between my turntable and the Wavelet—it was spectacular. The speakers come well-equipped with a full complement of cables and other accessories to help you get up and running without the need for online orders or trips to the hardware store. I like that!

What I Didn't Like

The $15 remote control. I don't understand the strategy here. I would have gladly paid $50 or more for a high-quality remote control. In fact, I recently spent $32 on an AliExpress remote with only four buttons, made from milled aluminum. The remote that came with the Wavelet has unnecessary extra buttons, and the volume up and down buttons are painfully slow. The Wavelet offers fine-tuning of the volume control, and perhaps I'm using it incorrectly?

The Wavelet screen. It appears to be made of glass and reflects the floor, which, in my case, is white carpet. I can see the white carpet clearly, but the display is hard to read. I've placed a large black cloth on the floor in front of the screen to alleviate the issue, but it's not an ideal solution. Perhaps I can find a non-reflective coating or tape to address this problem. Of course, I could also consider relocating the Wavelet higher on my rack, but the higher areas are reserved for sources that I can easily access.

Regarding streaming, it's essential to ensure your network is well-maintained. The Aeris will reveal any network noise you haven't addressed. This isn't so much a dislike as it is a heads-up for potential buyers.

I ordered extra coats of finish for the speakers, but I can't discern whether that's what I received. This is a minor point, as I don't know the difference.

I will continue my thoughts on these speakers as they continue to settle in, the cables too as well as the Eventual LPS for the Wavelet which was surely handicapped.

Side Note:
It was confirmed by Legacy Audio, the Wavelet II produced not output in their testing. The first they've seen of this. A new one has been shipped.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
EARLY TAKE

Why did I buy a pair of Legacy Audio Aeris speakers? With so many speaker options available in this price range and below, what made me choose the Aeris?

I've owned countless speakers during the 58 years I've been involved in this hobby, and I can't recall half of them. Some of these speakers left me with fond memories. I've also had the opportunity to listen to numerous speakers at audio shows, which helped me develop an appreciation for certain brands and designs.

What I was searching for was a speaker that would be room-friendly and compatible with tube amplifiers. It needed to provide full-range sound and handle music's dynamic extremes effortlessly. We wanted a speaker that could deliver high-volume levels without straining. Both my wife and I listen at realistic levels, possibly what one might call 'concert levels.' Naturally, refinement was a critical factor. These criteria significantly narrowed down my choices: the ability to perform well in any room, deep and refined bass, full-range capability, and tube amplifier friendliness.

I scoured the internet for reviews of the Aeris to understand where these speakers stand in comparison to others. Surprisingly, there wasn't an abundance of information available, despite these speakers being on the market for a long time. However, a few reviews were highly commendable and were written by experienced audiophiles. One of these reviewers reached out to me and provided a wealth of information about Legacy and the product. Some reviews mentioned the substantial bass output, and one particularly emphasized the remarkable bass delivery due to the four 12" bass drivers and two passive radiators dedicated to the low end.

I've always had an affinity for Legacy Audio. Back in the day, the Whispers were a dream. I've attended many audio shows where Legacy was present, and while I didn't pay much attention to the sound, the Aeris caught my eye as one of the most attractive speakers I'd ever seen. With the help of audio reviews and conversations with Legacy owners, I began to believe that these speakers might work well with my equipment. I say "might" because my integrated amp might not be compatible with the Wavelet, which was part of the package and designed to help make the system room-friendly. Conversations with Legacy suggested the Wavelaunch, as my Integrated had no preamp outputs. With the help of forum members, Mark in particular, I bought the Wavelet II and made it work.

The wait was nearly six months. Since I already owned great speakers, the Spatial X3's, I exercised patience as it seems that many products experience significant delays these days. The Aeris eventually arrived and has been playing in my 16' x 20' dedicated audio room, treated but not excessively. I have three dedicated circuits and utilize Puritan Audio AC distribution for most of the components, while the amplifier is plugged into Furutech outlets.

My setup includes the Allnic T2000 30th Anniversary Integrated, the Allnic D10000 DAC, and the Allnic H5500 Phono stage. The D10000 DAC replaced a Holo May KTE DAC, and I had concerns about the potential impact of the Wavelet on the Allnic's sound. More on that later. My sources include a Rega P10, Roon streaming, and a Pro-Ject RS2-T CD Transport.

For those interested in the setup, there were challenges as both I and Legacy Audio, along with the Music Room, wondered how I would connect the Wavelet to an integrated amplifier with no audio outputs. I resolved this issue by using a Serbian JFET-designed preamp, the Acoustic Invader, which works effectively. Furthermore, the Allnic T2000 allows for an additional preamp. This I discovered by reading the Allnic manual. Imagine that, reading a manual.

EARLY IMPRESSIONS

I've logged approximately 100 hours on the speakers and fewer hours on the cables. It's important to note that the Wavelet lacks a linear power supply and uses a cheap switcher. My computer is powered by a Dell brick, so keep that in mind.

Out of the box, these speakers exude a serious yet beautiful presence. They blend old-school cabinet craftsmanship with modern technological gadgetry. The upper part of the cabinet can even illuminate in blue, revealing the inner electronics—a cool feature for those who appreciate such aesthetics. Break-in was typical, with a slightly wonky initial sound that gradually settled in after about 10 hours and continued to refine as more hours accumulated. I must admit that, especially according to my wife, there wasn't much in terms of soundstage depth initially, nor did they exhibit much holography, but this changed at around 80 hours and has continued to do so in a very positive manner.

Cables. I wish it were 1995 when I was much smarter and didn't believe that cables could make a difference. However, I've since spent a significant amount of money on cables and have come to realize their importance in all aspects of high end audio. This is a given for 98% of audiophiles I know but especially important with the Aeris. These speakers demand careful consideration of cable selection and power supplies to extract the most from them.

So, how do they sound? At this point, pretty much as hoped for. It's been quite a journey since the unpacking, and while I won't delve into the setup challenges, I can say that it's all sorted out now, well, mostly.
Go to part 2
A bold and ambitious project integrating the Wavelet and your Allnic tube electronics. It's a beautiful system and will I am sure give you and your wife many hours of enjoyment. Now, on to read the rest of your post.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations to you and to your wife on the new loudspeakers, Michael!

Reactions: SCAudiophile

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
A bold and ambitious project integrating the Wavelet and your Allnic tube electronics. It's a beautiful system and will I am sure give you and your wife many hours of enjoyment. Now, on to read the rest of your post.
Thanks, it worked out very well. I'm running the Allnic integrated in triode mode now, 60wpc. Wonderful!

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
The speakers have been breaking in well and continue to improve in tone and image. I think that in listening without the Wavelet II, I've become even more impressed what the Allnic DAC and Integrated amplifier give me.

First it's the great clarity without the feeling that a DAC is pulling this clarity from the music in sacrifice of tonal richness. Let me try to describe.
I don't much like live albums. But there are a few that I've gone back to over the years (half century?). One is an Eric Clapton Album (I have the vinyl version but used digital version in this instance) EC Was Here. The song 'Presence Of The Lord'. Again, close to 50 years I've had this music - damn I'm getting old - so it has been played on countless systems. Two things stood out to me. It's a live recording and not well mixed, I guess. But what I heard amazed me. Eric's guitar now had substance. I mean I could hear the tone of the guitar in space, the actual growl if you will, its presence I did not think possible. Also, within this song, Eric calls out a key late in the song. But wait, he called out a key early, then again, and again, and finally, into the mic, a key. I only remember one key change. I know, big deal, he's calling for chord changes and now I can decern this within the song. But I never heard this so clearly! Music has become more unraveled, more distinct, and with a greater foundation. I wonder though if it's because these speakers allow for greater volume without sounding stressed? My wife is wondering if she didn't damage her ears listening too loud as she feels a bit of noise sometimes in particular songs. Noise I cannot detect what-so-ever. She's more than just my wife, she's the only other music aficionado I know in the area. I'm concerned to say the least.

I'm throwing everything at these speakers. Rush, Roll The Bones, song 'Dreamline". Love that song. Boy does the recording suck. Roon says dynamic range of 5. Yeah, no bass. Always sounded great in the car though. Now the Wavelet could cure that crappy recording, but it's not here yet. Whoops, it just showed up at my door. Seriously.

So obviously, the Aeris can't fix bad recordings by itself. In my system, recordings will be revealed but few have suffered. So far, a very enjoyable experience.

OK, let me unpack the Wavelet.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Congratulations on your new speakers!

They will continue to open up and improve until the 300-350 hour range, as will Wavelet II itself.

Thanks for the excellent and very detailed writeup!

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
More to look forward for, thanks!

Anyone know what the input voltage is of the Wavelet? I've searched the manual and came up empty.
I'm ordering a Linear Tube Audio LPS.
Thanks

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
More to look forward for, thanks!

Anyone know what the input voltage is of the Wavelet? I've searched the manual and came up empty.
I'm ordering a Linear Tube Audio LPS.
Thanks
From a thread I replied to regarding Wavelet here (initial thread named

"Anyone have experience with the Legacy Audio Wavelet II?"​

September 22nd 2023):

So that you or anyone else can have it all in one place for the future, here is the basic info for the LPSU requirements and the umbilical:

LPSU requirements:
(I use HDPlex,....Ferrum, Uptone and others make absolutely excellent ones as well; check their output connector and other specs and adjust your plan for the cable

minimum power specs needed by Wavelet v1 and v2:

12V DC minimum (actual 12V can call for up to 13.68V on the bench but as long as you have a solid 12V, all is well) suggested a fixed 12V output
3 Amp minimum / stable
60 Watt minimum (I would go larger like a HDPlex 300W or competing unit)

The DC Umbilical (XLR3 3-pin output from LPSU => XLR 5 5-pin input on Wavelet II):

Example: GHENT AUDIO DC UMBILICAL (now a spare cable for me):
==========================================================
(I also have a Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-silver DC umbilical built the same way)

“Custom DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper G DC(JSSG360) Cable
Length: 3m, XLR female(3pin XLR3) to XLR female(5pin, XLR5)

(LPSU Output) HDPlex LPSU Out: XLR3 3pin XLR FEMALE plug on cable, pin-2 is +VDC, pin-1 is GND, pin-3 is unused

(Destination): Legacy Audio Wavelet v I or vII Input: XLR5 5-pin XLR FEMALE plug , pin-5 is +VDC, pin-3 is GND, other pins (1,2,4) are unused

So we have Pin-2 on XLR3 FEMALE at source going to Pin-5 on XLR5 FEMALE at destination for +VDC, Pin-1 on XLR3 source going to Pin-3 on XLR5 for GND

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
WOW! Great write up Mike. I am on Hiatus from my system for a few weeks, the baby brother to your Aeris, the Focus XD's also with Wavelet II. I experience the same thing as you regarding the SPL tolerance. They are easy to listen to and the dynamics are outstanding and so "alive!" I am still getting the system broken in, I am going for the Small Green Computer 300W LPS for Wavelet when I get back home over the Holidays. I will enjoy hear as you continue to grow with your speakers as do I. I also agree that they work well with tubed amps. Thanks for the great job. I also recommend you contact Ed at Legacy when you do sweeps with your serial nuber to you Wavelet, they will look at them and tell you if it looks good on their end. I did this and it took 4 tries to get something good. I started at 85 and we ended up at 79.

Last edited:

prerich

May 21, 2012
Congrats on your purchase!!!! The Aeris appears to be the replacement for the Whispers as I believe they are now discontinued. I recently became a Whisper owner and hear the same things that you do, especially the depth of individual instruments in space. I don't think I'm going to upgrade again. I'm not using a Wavelet processor, I'm just using the original Whisper NextOne processor along with MultEQ-X and REW. I've placed the Next One at around 1 o'clock and I used the real time analyzer in REW as I moved my speakers around until I saw a basically flat/linear frequency response while playing pink noise. I then used MultiEQ-X to eq the speakers. MultiEQ-X did a wonderful job, but now I want to micro pick at the measurements between 300hz and 60hz (the woofer range). Currently I have a holographic soundstage, I'm just meddling to see what I can come up with (its easy to get back to normal as my original measurements are saved on my laptop and the cloud).

With the Wavelet you will be able to simply get the best performance (due to the pre-loaded measurements). You're at another level with your Aeris system, and the user with the Valor....ANOTHER UNIVERSE!!!!! I will follow along with you on this journey - I know I said I'd never upgrade again but those Aeris look beautiful as well!!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
@prerich The Whisper XDS and other models are fantastic speakers, congratulations! I've come very close to owning Whisper XDS twice, love that speaker; those who have not heard them don't know what they are missing...

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
@SCAudiophile - I thought the new "V" is a updated version of the Whisper?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
IMHO, successor to Whisper XDS, yes,...upgraded version of Whisper, not quite for several key reasons. They are both excellent, and very different speakers.

Opinions vary and I am a customer so you may be correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: FT251

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
IMHO, successor to Whisper XDS, yes,...upgraded version of Whisper, not quite for several key reasons. They are both their excellent, and different speakers.

Opinions vary and I am a customer so you may be correct.
Yes, I should have said successor to the Whisper, that is what I meant.

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
I got my HDPlex 300W LPS, now waiting on the Ghent Audio Neotech copper DC cable to arrive. Spent the day listening and tweaking the "sliders" on the Wavelet. It's getting really good. Spent 3 hours listening today, and it was sitting cold and unpowered for 5 weeks. Turned it on Friday evening and let it sit for 48 hours before today listening session.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Glad you enjoying it! If something runs amuck with the cable order (not likely), I know of a source of another Ghent XLR5->XLR3 of the right specs.
(Use private IM to contact me if that's needed).

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
@MichaelHiFi , have you been able to get your sweeps done on the New Wavelet? I do recommend you send Ed an email with your Wavelet serial number and have them look at your sweeps, it helped me a LOT! I am still waiting for the slow boat from China for the Ghent DC cable, it says it's in JAMAICA, NY 11430, Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item for 5 days now since Nov 18th. It's not moving.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing