Let's Get A Consensus Of The Best DAC's In The Market Today

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Isn't this the same what computer experts tell you? They tell you to buy the fastest and highest end you can afford.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks, Bruce. But we're talking years ago when I ante'd up for the latest PC with a top of the line Intel processor and something like 2.5 gigs of memory....at a price of many 1000's of $$! I'm sure most of us can remember when 2.5 gigs of memory was SOTA. Just like today when 4XDSD and whatever the current up-sampling max is. Isn't it interesting how cheap memory has become in the last few years...Nowadays even a few terabytes isn't special, or that costly!

storelli

Sep 13, 2012
Hi Davey, this is Fabio from Alma Audio....we just received the new MSB Select that we'll be using at one of our rooms at Newport. Amazing DAC, everybody is invited to listen to it at the store or/and at Newport.

Best
Fabio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There may by an AN Level 5 DAC @ THE Show. I should hear it, too.
Of course, one is not ever hearing 'it' in isolation.

Let us know what you think. Note, I believe there are 3 different AN DAC 5s: DAC 5 Special, DAC 5 Signature...and DAC 5th Element (its not on website, but definitely MC reviewed it a few years ago in Hi-Fi Critic...i have the issue). Its this last one which is the game changer according to MC, and i think MC had heard the earlier incarnations.

skolis

Mar 10, 2015
maybe covered elsewhere, and I missed it, but anyone have experience or comments
about either Meitner MA1 or EMM Labs DAC2X?

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I had: Esoteric K-01, MSB Diamond IV, MSB Signature IV, EMM Labs DAC 2X, Audio Aero La Fountaine, MBL Noble, Metronome C-8, Accustic Arts DAC II mk2, Vitus Masterpiece DAC, Thrax DAC, Bricasti DAC, Reimyo, Audio Research Ref.DAC and some more. The best in my 2 systems was Gryphon Kalliope. Most musical, detail, most saturate, best colours, deep, wide soundstage. Very close was Thrax. Very good DAC. Most of them was very good, but this two was the best. Gryphon nr 1, Thrax nr.2.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You know the Thrax gets its resistor boards from MSB, right? :D

I had: Esoteric K-01, MSB Diamond IV, MSB Signature IV, EMM Labs DAC 2X, Audio Aero La Fountaine, MBL Noble, Metronome C-8, Accustic Arts DAC II mk2, Vitus Masterpiece DAC, Thrax DAC, Bricasti DAC, Reimyo, Audio Research Ref.DAC and some more. The best in my 2 systems was Gryphon Kalliope. Most musical, detail, most saturate, best colours, deep, wide soundstage. Very close was Thrax. Very good DAC. Most of them was very good, but this two was the best. Gryphon nr 1, Thrax nr.2.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Let us know what you think. Note, I believe there are 3 different AN DAC 5s: DAC 5 Special, DAC 5 Signature...and DAC 5th Element (its not on website, but definitely MC reviewed it a few years ago in Hi-Fi Critic...i have the issue). Its this last one which is the game changer according to MC, and i think MC had heard the earlier incarnations.

I have the 5th Element in my system with the CDT Six, this kit offer the most relaxing and involved Red Book I've ever heard. It's like playing records. I am getting zero digital hardness.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I stumbled upon this post title. The whole premise is fatally flawed. It is like Let's Get A Consensus Of The Best Wine for sale today / the prettiest woman on the planet / The best car on the market. An exercise in futility.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Isn't this the same what computer experts tell you? They tell you to buy the fastest and highest end you can afford.
Indeed. I bought my Mark Levinson NO36S in 1999/2000 I think. I got the "S" version which was the hand tweaked one. It was super "expensive" in my book. Fast forward 15 years and it routinely beats current DACs in measurements and performance. It is limited to 96 Khz but otherwise, it remains a reference product.

Just noticed the typo on the date for the ML :). But otherwise, look at how clean and textbook that response is. Peak correlated distortions is at -130 dbFS.

One capacitor died in it last year which was a 5 minute repair and the thing keeps going.

Look at its incoming jitter reduction:

60 db! That is one million times reduction of incoming jitter!

That is why this thread has merit. Get the best and you too can be proud of what you bought 15 years later as I have :). I have supercharged mine with async USB to AES bridge (Berkeley) and I am good now other than missing 192 Khz from time to time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I stumbled upon this post title. The whole premise is fatally flawed. It is like Let's Get A Consensus Of The Best Wine for sale today / the prettiest woman on the planet / The best car on the market. An exercise in futility.
We have a far bigger problem if this is like wine. That means that none of us or manufacturers have figured out the "truth" in audio. That everyone makes a different recipe than aiming to reproduce exactly what is recorded and represented in digital samples.

Fortunately objective evaluations shows this to not be the case. Frequency response is essentially dead flat so as far as coloration is concerned, it is not at all like there would be in wine where any two can taste so different, in blind or sighted tests. There is potentially differences in filtering, analog stage, and suppression of distortion. But none rise to the level of differences in wines and such.

But let's say you are right. As I explained before, did you pick a DAC randomly or researched and decided to buy the best you could? I assume it is the latter. If so, then someone could save that research and start with where you ended. Sending people out there blind doesn't make sense to me. Surely if 8 out of 10 of us think XYZ DAC should be on top of your evaluation list, as some are popping up that way already, folks need to seriously consider such option. I don't know why we would not want to have this kind of consensus out there.

And it is not like we are crowning just one device. We are saying what are the top 10, accepting that consensus around one and only one does not exist.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I need to get over to see Gryphon at their showroom at their HQ...thanks for that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have the 5th Element in my system with the CDT Six, this kit offer the most relaxing and involved Red Book I've ever heard. It's like playing records. I am getting zero digital hardness.

Thanks for that! When is your review coming out? Look forward to reading it for sure.

Without asking too leading a question, are you supportive of Martin Collom's comments? Is it THAT much better than everything else that you have heard? He certainly has ranked it far above the rest of the high end digital reviewed at HiFi Critic. Top digital of yesteryear hit about 105-120...latest is 240-300...AN DAC 5th Element, he scores at 450 and potentially felt it might have been limited by the rest of his system's limitations.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes, Thrax uses some MSB parts and some ideas by Rumen from Thrax. This DAC sounds better than MSB IV Diamond.

Okay. I haven't heard the Thrax. But your claim about "better" seems a bit suspect from an objective viewpoint.

R2R DACs heavily rely on resistor accuracy to get best sound quality. MSB makes their own resistors at varying tolerance. The diamond uses MSB's most accurate resistors. The Thrax gets the entry level restistors from MSB. So, I doubt very much the Thrax is close to the sound quality of the diamond. I've owned the totaldac, so I have a little experience with similar DACs.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The MSB Select was just put next to the Audio Note UK player.

https://www.facebook.com/MSBTech?fref=ts

1468813_970719922994960_5445065806090398497_n.jpg

I haven't heard ours yet, but the word is that it's like Peter said, "like playing records".

alexandre

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

Larry Gullman, aka Mr. MSB, says that the company's new Select II DAC ($89,950), which is due in 30 days and will also be active at next week's THE Show Newport Beach, uses new input and output hybrid DAC modules that click in and out for customization and upgrades. Separate modules are optimized for PCM (up to 768kHz) and DSD (up to 8x, or DSD512), which should keep even the most obsessive amongst us happy until DSDx16 comes along. A ladder DAC that obviates the need for either an output buffer or op amp, it sums a total of 16 channels to create a low-impedance, high-current output. The output is so high that you can use it with headphones without any amplification.

Attachments

• 051715-MSB-600.jpg
    051715-MSB-600.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,047

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing