5..jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 3..jpg
    3..jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,175

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow. These are my kind of tables and arms. Time to buy more Lotto tickets. :D Thanks for the pics.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Trio + BD custom bass towers

Yeah you´re right; AG Trio with custom 4x15 BD design bass towers

Attachments

• Trio BD..jpg
    Trio BD..jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 2,163
  • Trio bd 2..jpg
    Trio bd 2..jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2,112
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
LCH incl sources

at the bottom of Basis rack is 46,5 kg Riaa power supply with hour counter in front panel
LCR ria/TVC preamp above

Attachments

• Lch and sources..jpg
    Lch and sources..jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,081

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
So Chris, that's eight 15" drivers for the bass all together in your 2-channel stereo setup? WoW! :cool:

* Do you like Organ music?
...And of course you are a Classical (Orchestral) music lover (audiophile). :b

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Hi,

I am surprised that no one mentioned the new Frank Schroeder linear tracking arm, even if it is still in the prototype stages. I listened to one in October at RMAF, and I was impressed with the performance. The design did not impress me; it amazed me! This tonearm is a pivoting type, but it does its job in a constantly compensating arc, so that perfect alignment is always maintained. It does it from the rear of the arm, so the cartridge mount is in a straight line with the wand. The most interesting thing to me is that it manages to accomplish its goal by employing magnets, rather than some friction inducing scheme. In fact, the entire arm uses a single ball in its construction, and has half the friction of a typical pivoted tonearm.

Win

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
housekeeper every friday does the main fight,
my Scottish sheepdog tends to leave his hairs in the horns and amps
loves to lie on the Bidjar in front of the LCH when I play
God knows why?
the Basis is mounted on a pulsar point isolated 30mm mdf board inside an mdf "tray" with a 17kg acrylic dustcover with oildamped shockabsorbers and "piano-hinges"
it stands on top of a sandfilled VPI rack, that also holds the 70kg+ riaa/TVC
no feedback even on full throttle +115db and little dust
best
Leif

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just a simple mention here; there are also laser turntables.

Anyone had/has any experience with any of those? One was made in Japan (higher end), forgot which one. And Pioneer I believe has one too (lower end).

* Leif, 115dB+, but you don't sustain it right, ...I mean your ears? :b

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH

Anyone had/has any experience with any of those? One was made in Japan (higher end),

I believe that was the ELT1. Heard one a # of years ago. I liked what I heard.
It had the phono out option with a GSP Jazz Phono pre-amp. The owner previously had the line out version then swapped it for the phono out option. He felt that combo was better. Course it had no guarantee to my knowledge. One bought a maintenance contract year by year if I remember correctly. 10k for the line out, I believe 12k with phono out, at the time. This guy must have had over 10,000 lps/78's, unbelievable. A room dedicated as a library for storage....

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ron, we're talking about a red laser light reading the grooves of an LP here, right? Yes we do! :b

* Michael Fremer did review one once for Stereophile.
The ELP LT-2XRC laser turntable in the Stereophile of December 2003 issue, here.

And more reviews: http://www.audioturntable.com/customer/reviews.html

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ron, we're talking about a red laser light reading the grooves of an LP here, right? Yes we do! :b

Yes I do believe it was, if I remember right it split the beam to track both sides of the groove with a bunch of sensors. As I stated, I liked the sound of the unit with the phono option to a Jazz pre. Made sense with all the early lp's, 78's this guy had to deal with RIAA curves. Plus no wear.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia

Anyone had/has any experience with any of those? One was made in Japan (higher end), forgot which one. And Pioneer I believe has one too (lower end).

* Leif, 115dB+, but you don't sustain it right, ...I mean your ears? :b
Bob, I followed the story in HiFiNews, when Ken Kessler was chasing the elusive Finial turntable, which ended up becoming the ELP. The killer problem for such a device is dust, there's nothing physical to push the tiny bits out of the way so the user has to be totally anal in cleaning LP's for the sound to be tolerable.

Curious about Pioneer trying such a device. Are you sure it's real, that it works in the way the ELP does?

Frank

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I love this line from that Keith Jarrett article:

One of the problems with being a musician is you don’t have time to be a proper audiophile. To be proper, you have to be insane all the time and obsessed all the time. You need a psychotherapist after a while.

There might be some truth to this.:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, I followed the story in HiFiNews, when Ken Kessler was chasing the elusive Finial turntable, which ended up becoming the ELP. The killer problem for such a device is dust, there's nothing physical to push the tiny bits out of the way so the user has to be totally anal in cleaning LP's for the sound to be tolerable.

Curious about Pioneer trying such a device. Are you sure it's real, that it works in the way the ELP does?

Frank

Oh yes Frank; Pioneer made such a a TT in the past (laser reading). I think, but not anymore.
I mean they used to. ...And tough to get info. ...Michael Fremer would know fo sur.

* Nice to see you posting Frank. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I love this line from that Keith Jarrett article:
"To be a proper audiophile, you have to be inzane all the time and obzessed all the time.
You need a pzychotherapist after a vhile."

There might be some truth to this.:)

Abzolutely. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing