Looking for amp recommendations - KEF 201/2 speakers

musklvr

Aug 11, 2020
Hi,
Having just upgraded from a Luxman L-507u pre section to an Icon4 pro, I'm looking at upgrading from the amp section of the Luxman to something which will make the KEF 201/2 references sing at their optimum. I auditioned these against the other speakers in the KEF line and found them superior. Having moved from the US to France, a change of electronics was called for due to voltage and frequency. The Luxman L-507u has been exemplary. No complaints at all. Maybe I am just looking for phantoms. So I ask you for suggestions or conformation it is not worth going further with this combination.

Before I left the US the KEFs were driven with Symphonic Line RG4-Mk4 monoblocks. Would love to have them again, but alas, there is not enough space. It needs to be a stereo amp which can fit in a rack, max 25cm height. 10K euro is the budget limit, so most likely used in great condition. I've been looking at Luxman M700 or M900 and Symphonic Line Kraft 250 or 300. Maybe this is overkill for these speakers. They do love power with control. I really love these speakers and they work well in a non hifi friendly environment (wide separation, limited options for placement, big room, and limited speaker size). There is no possibility of upgrade or room treatment, etc.

The component chain is: Sony 5400es CD player or Squeezebox Touch > Meitner MA-1 V2 or EAT Forte > Morch DP-8 > Soundsmith Strain Gauge SG-6 > SG-200 pre > Icon4 pro > Luxman L-507u.

I look forward to you suggestions. This amp must be purchase in the EU.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing