Low compliance MC cartridge

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Unfortunately I just dropped the Etsuro from my list after reading that is in fact a high compliance cartridge. I'm looking for low compliance but low-medium (and even medium) would be okay -- but not high.

That's good to know, thanks

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
12cu in your range?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have an ML so interested in comparisons as I've only heard it back to back in my system (SP10mk2, Funk FX3, Groove SRX) vs AT PTGii and a Denon 103. Very happy with it

Wondered if Ked has had the opportunity

Will be interested to hear how you get on as all the carts you mention are of interest when the time comes. Someone on here recently purchased an Etsuro Cobolt, that's another in this ballpark that may be worth investigating?

Sorry, I just realized the one I had checked compared to SPU a95 was SL, not ML. Apologies, didn't know ML was different

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have an ML so interested in comparisons as I've only heard it back to back in my system (SP10mk2, Funk FX3, Groove SRX) vs AT PTGii and a Denon 103. Very happy with it

Wondered if Ked has had the opportunity

Will be interested to hear how you get on as all the carts you mention are of interest when the time comes. Someone on here recently purchased an Etsuro Cobolt, that's another in this ballpark that may be worth investigating?

member 'Barry2013' just bought an Etsuro Cobalt and really likes it.

you could PM him.

Reactions: defride

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
member 'Barry2013' just bought an Etsuro Cobalt and really likes it.

you could PM him.

Instead of quotes, If you add the @ sign before his name he should get a notification that he has been tagged

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
That would be on the border. The Sensitive Sound ART Dark?
Yep. Happy to send one to try. Granted it's on the lower budget end of your scale ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Based on what I've read, the Cobalt was the cartridge I most wanted from my list. I have no doubt that it is fantastic. I just don't think it's a good match for my arm.

The red sparrow was quite superior to the cobalt on the Vyger linear tracker, and I have zero doubt it will be to the Bordeaux which G has heard, and which I have compared to various carts including the Decca London on FR 66s. If you have a linear tracker, the top wing red sparrow is superb, especially for acoustic. Just that when it sounds bad, it sounds real bad in some systems. I have also heard it on Bergmann Sindre linear tracker, excellent

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The red sparrow was quite superior to the cobalt on the Vyger linear tracker, and I have zero doubt it will be to the Bordeaux which G has heard, and which I have compared to various carts including the Decca London on FR 66s. If you have a linear tracker, the top wing red sparrow is superb, especially for acoustic. Just that when it sounds bad, it sounds real bad in some systems. I have also heard it on Bergmann Sindre linear tracker, excellent
I used a London Decca Reference for the last 5 years so any comparisons between it and the MC cartridges on my list (or that meet the criteria) would be most welcome.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Unfortunately the internal impedance and the price are both too high.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
In that price range I would be curious of the Air Tight PC-7. It meets your criteria, but depends on your bar for low compliance. I have heard that it is around 8 x 10^6.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I have heard the Hana

My reference at home , Goldfinger Statement , Koetsu Jade, Atlas, Etna SL I also have an almost zero hour RSP Koetsu. I've been using a 4pt and a FR64s ( mainly for the Koetsus- but it it extraordinarily accommodating of most cartridges)

Heard Hana at my dealer friend as well against GFS, Miyajima Madake, DV XV1s and more.

The Hana is an excellent performer and value but not in the league of those listed for what they do well. You have to choose your priorities.
I can't say that I'm surprised that it doesn't outperform the cartridges on that list -- those are some great cartridges. I appreciate the input on the Hana ML.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
For Rockmusic I would recommend according to your specification:

- Koetsu Black goldline
- Ikeda TS
- Audio Technica ART 9
any as my favorite:
- AMG Teatro

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
For Rockmusic I would recommend according to your specification:

- Koetsu Black goldline
- Ikeda TS
- Audio Technica ART 9
any as my favorite:
- AMG Teatro
Thank you! I'll check these out. What is it about that particular Koetsu model that makes it good for rock? I don't generally equate Koetsu with rock but maybe that's a misconception on my part.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thank you! I'll check these out. What is it about that particular Koetsu model that makes it good for rock? I don't generally equate Koetsu with rock but maybe that's a misconception on my part.

The Koetsu black gold line is within the Koetsu line up a little bit unique. It is the only Koetsu in a metal body. To my knowledge it is built from a contract fitter. So it is different in some ways.

Independent from the price, the Black Gold Line is one of my favorite carts in the Koetsu line up.

(I like the Urushi Wjyima and Tsugaru and the Coralstone as well)

here you can read about my first steps with Koetsu:

https://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?thread/132081-koetsu-systeme-erste-erfahrungen/

(google translate will help)

Reactions: Exlibris

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The Koetsu black gold line is within the Koetsu line up a little bit unique. It is the only Koetsu in a metal body. To my knowledge it is built from a contract fitter. So it is different in some ways.

Independent from the price, the Black Gold Line is one of my favorite carts in the Koetsu line up.

(I like the Urushi Wjyima and Tsugaru and the Coralstone as well)

here you can read about my first steps with Koetsu:

https://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?thread/132081-koetsu-systeme-erste-erfahrungen/

(google translate will help)
I think I read your Koetsu story in a thread on this forum as well(?)

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
From the whole list that I see here, none of the MC cartridges will rock music !
If you understand what should be in the sound, mid-bass and a lot of bass.
The only MC cartridge that I've heard a lot of bass from Sensitive Sound, Ortofon SPU.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing