Lubricating Goldmund Studio Turnatble

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
I have a Goldmund Studio Turntable which I bought new about 30 years ago. It works perfectly still, but I've never been able to lubricate the bearing, which of course is a direct drive motor. I feel that it should have fresh oil by now, but have no idea how to go about it. Thanks and grateful for any suggestions!

Dierkx1

Jan 14, 2020

michael.s

Sep 10, 2021
Hi Michael,
Sorry, a bit late; maybe this post helps: https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1003270
If you want to know more about the Studio, just let me know. I have one too.
Never too late - thanks for responding! I gave up on the idea of lubricating it, especially as the factory advice was - don't. It still works perfectly but I don't use it as much these days. My CD playback system has been gradually improving over the years, thanks to many upgrades, and now I prefer this to LPs. I keep the turntable now not for the sound quality but to play LPs that are special to me in respect of the music. Its sacrilege I know, but I've found myself wondering if I might part with it & the LPs. The Goldmund takes up a lot of space, as you'd well know, for something that gets such little use here.

MichelVanA

Jan 16, 2024
Netherlands
You're welcome Michael. Yes, LP's take up a lot of space, so does the turntable. Also, it is difficult to upgrade as not many modern preamps provide a phono section. Sure, some FM, Soulution have it as an option, but for many (me too) these are way over budget.
I am surprised [if] the T3 armcontroller (PL5, 6, 7 or 8) still works well, as many caps that are used for the time delays are elco's and don't have any life in them anymore. Also, the small variable resistors 22 kOhm and 2.2 kOhm are open and may need to be changed because of wear.
In my case i have many records that are simply not available on CD.
If you need info, just let me know. Maybe i will post something in a separate thread for the Studio users. This will take some time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing