zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Thanks for sharing. Do you have any direct experience with optical bridge? The configuration shows only one I/0 which limits its functionality in a typical application where ROON server and renderer are not in one box.
No, not yet as it was only released last month in Japan and as far as I know isn't available outside Japan as of yet.

MasterparK

Jan 16, 2022
South Korea
We can’t see inside but the optical isolation with sfp modules already had swallowed all the digital network chain talks in the past. The same approach I think

Last edited:

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
The M12 Gold is attractive for its musicality but some may consider it a bit laid back.
The new Premium is said to be more energetic.
Of course I have not tried a Premium, but I do not find the M12 Gold laid back at all. In my very resolving and dynamic system it is open and clear.

Reactions: ctydwn

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
Of course I have not tried a Premium, but I do not find the M12 Gold laid back at all. In my very resolving and dynamic system it is open and clear.
you two have different modem/router, fiber/cable, wall receptacle, power conditioner and LPS. So you can only compare within the same system.

Last edited:

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
Looking at your Ethernet setup, I am wondering if have you tried M12 before Aries 2.1? Personally, I would have not inserted EtgerRegen + Muon Filter after M12. I don’t think you’re hearing true potential of M12. I would move EtgerRegen between Fios and NUC. And see if you still need Muon Filter.

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
Looking at your Ethernet setup, I am wondering if have you tried M12 before Aries 2.1? Personally, I would have not inserted EtgerRegen + Muon Filter after M12. I don’t think you’re hearing true potential of M12. I would move EtgerRegen between Fios and NUC. And see if you still need Muon Filter.
His M12 Gold is "very resolving and dynamic system it is open and clear. " . Why he need change? However, your point in theory may still valuable. Just wonder, "EtgerRegen + Muon Filter" are not in the same league as M12 Gold, are they a positive add-on?

Last edited:

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
His M12 Gold is "very resolving and dynamic system it is open and clear. " . Why he need change? However, your point in theory may still valuable. Just wonder, "EtgerRegen + Muon Filter" are not in the same league as M12 Gold, are they a positive add-on?
IME, EtherRegen is not even in the same ball park. I have not tried Muon but once owned ENO which is pretty darn good. I have also tried few other switches under $1500 range but IMO, M12 Gold is clearly in another league. Not saying it can’t be beat or bettered but it is best switch I’ve heard to date within the context of my system. I am going to be comparing the M12 with fully tricked out SOtM sNH-10G switch / dCBL-CAT8M cables fed by 10MHz Merging clock in upcoming months. Will post my findings here!

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
IME, EtherRegen is not even in the same ball park. I have not tried Muon but once owned ENO which is pretty darn good. I have also tried few other switches under $1500 range but IMO, M12 Gold is clearly in another league. Not saying it can’t be beat or bettered but it is best switch I’ve heard to date within the context of my system. I am going to be comparing the M12 with fully tricked out SOtM sNH-10G switch / dCBL-CAT8M cables fed by 10MHz Merging clock in upcoming months. Will post my findings here!
you mean Muon + M12 Gold > M12 Gold (by how much?).

Last edited:

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
you mean Muon + M12 Gold > M12 Gold (by how much?). I learn clock is a killer. it will turn $2K(total) streamer into a $12K streamer.
Well, I have not tried my Merging clock on a $2K streamer so I can’t validate your comment. But I did try my Merging clock on Aurender N20 and the improvements were far from subtle, in fact substantial enough for me to seek N30SA in 2023.

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
Well, I have not tried my Merging clock on a $2K streamer so I can’t validate your comment. But I did try my Merging clock on Aurender N20 and the improvements were far from subtle, in fact substantial enough for me to seek N30SA in 2023.
I like to use cheap gears to leverage 10X + cost gear. if Merging clock cost $$$$, unless it leverage the value to $$$$$$$$. I am looking forward to your findings.

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
you choose Merging clock(Swiss) $18,500.00 over Mutec's 1G-Clock(Germany) cost $1.2K. must have a good reason. CYBERSHAFT PLATINUM /GOLD/ SILVER OCXO 10MHZ Clock $1.5K USD (Japan)

Last edited:

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Fios is a pure fiber service, so it doesn't use modems. The service instead uses an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) - is it correct?
My understanding is that there is an ONT in the garage, but a modem in the house.
Hi again. thanks for asking that. When I first received the M12, it was missing the two extra cables to insert it between my modem, Nucleus+ and both cat 8 cables to my streamers. So I actually DID put it right in front of my Aries G2.1 It sounded amazing. But I need a switch after my modem, so that is where I 'thought' it was most indicated (replacing my Bonn N8 switch). I am not sure it sounds as good as just on front of the Aries, just seemed silly to put a switch where I did not need a switch (extra ports). I actually do have trouble with my Aries disconnecting and 'not being found' on my network. I have to cycle the power sometimes a bunch to get it to connect. Is it the EtherRegen? I have also heard use the A side of the ER may help. Currently it would not reconnect and frustrated I just turned it all off and went skiing for the long weekend. I will try different arrangements, and am open to suggestions PLEASE. One idea is to put the N8 switch back in place, and move the M12 to my listening room as you suggested already. Disadvantage of this is it takes the M12 out of the chain for my second system. Also it adds a power supply and a M12 flower of cables in my audio room, not my computer room. Ideas please!

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
My understanding is that there is an ONT in the garage, but a modem in the house.

Hi again. thanks for asking that. When I first received the M12, it was missing the two extra cables to insert it between my modem, Nucleus+ and both cat 8 cables to my streamers. So I actually DID put it right in front of my Aries G2.1 It sounded amazing. But I need a switch after my modem, so that is where I 'thought' it was most indicated (replacing my Bonn N8 switch). I am not sure it sounds as good as just on front of the Aries, just seemed silly to put a switch where I did not need a switch (extra ports). I actually do have trouble with my Aries disconnecting and 'not being found' on my network. I have to cycle the power sometimes a bunch to get it to connect. Is it the EtherRegen? I have also heard use the A side of the ER may help. Currently it would not reconnect and frustrated I just turned it all off and went skiing for the long weekend. I will try different arrangements, and am open to suggestions PLEASE. One idea is to put the N8 switch back in place, and move the M12 to my listening room as you suggested already. Disadvantage of this is it takes the M12 out of the chain for my second system. Also it adds a power supply and a M12 flower of cables in my audio room, not my computer room. Ideas please!

Attachments

• M12_setup.png
    M12_setup.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 40

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com

How many Ethernet ports do you have on your Fios modem? If you need extra ports after your modem, then I would add Bonn N8 switch there feed your Nucleus and other devices. The ideal place for a switch like M12 should be right ahead of Aries G2.1 to realize it’s full impact, even if you can‘t utilize all the ports. I am just spitballing here without knowing your logistics, how about I reach out to you through Audiogon and we can jump on a call at your convenience. Happy New Year!

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
you choose Merging clock(Swiss) $18,500.00 over Mutec's 1G-Clock(Germany) cost $1.2K. must have a good reason. CYBERSHAFT PLATINUM /GOLD/ SILVER OCXO 10MHZ Clock $1.5K USD (Japan)
I am aware of other inexpensive Master Clock alternatives but my Merging +clock is every bit unique and an integral part of my Merging +player network attached DAC. My investment in +Clock is very strategic as I am slowly adding components that are being greatly benefited from this extremely accurate clock.

ayc868

Nov 8, 2022
Silicon Valley
I am aware of other inexpensive Master Clock alternatives but my Merging +clock is every bit unique and an integral part of my Merging +player network attached DAC. My investment in +Clock is very strategic as I am slowly adding components that are being greatly benefited from this extremely accurate clock.
do you actually try those inexpensive clocks? if you do, how much different? if your system has distortions in other areas. for example - speaker (if passive speaker) you may not notice the difference on those high price high precision gear.

Last edited:

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
do you actually try those inexpensive clocks? if you do, how much different? if your system has distortions in other areas. for example - speaker (if passive speaker) you may not notice the difference on those high price high precision gear.
I have tested 3 different clocks under $20K before settling with Merging Clock. The difference between these clocks are readily apparent and substantial in any high resolution system. As far as distortions, your speculations on my system or my hearing has no merits.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022

Hello all jumping in here. I want to do this correctly and appreciate the responses.
1) consensus seems to be remove EtherRegen from between M12 and Aries G2.1 streamer. ?Yes
2) debate on whether Muon should stay or go between M12 and Server?
3) in a sense don't I have M12 in front of Aries? And directly if I remove the ER and the Muon?
-because M12 is upstairs, there is 20 feet of Supra cat 8 between M12 gold cable and Aries. Wrong place still?
4) I use no wall plates; I have JCAT NET ISOLATOR (Coupler) between M12 cables and Supra Cat 8 runs through the wall at both ends.
5) Should I replace the M12 gold with my Bonn N8 (put it back) and then place the M12 MOST DIRECTLY in front of Aries Streamer?
- This ELIMINATES M12 Gold switch from the chain to my upstairs system, but perhaps a fair trade if this improves my main system.
6) yes fiber is an option but trying to avoid more stuff!

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Get an even better performance by inserting Telegärtner's Japan new optical isolator "OPT BRIDGE 1000M" between your routers/hubs and your network players/servers.
@Drikus - THX for sharing. Do you have any information about price and where to buy it?

Torben

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing