M12 Gold Switch

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Looking at your Ethernet setup, I am wondering if have you tried M12 before Aries 2.1? Personally, I would have not inserted EtgerRegen + Muon Filter after M12. I don’t think you’re hearing true potential of M12. I would move EtgerRegen between Fios and NUC. And see if you still need Muon Filter.
So this is interesting: I ran my Supra Cat 8 directly into my Auralic Aries G2.1 Streamer.
JCAT M12 Gold > JCAT M12 Gold 2m cable > JCAT Net Isolator > 20m Supra Cat 8 > Aries
(no wall plates or cheap coupler)
It immediately connects. It sounds great.
But I want to try my MUon Filter System to compare.
I insert the Muon right in front of the Streamer (the EtherRegen is gone).
It WILL NOT connect. wired input can not be established.
I remove Muon, it connects.

So I send a question to Rich at Network Acoustics. Per Rich:
The Muon Streaming System will only work at 100Mb/s so it looks like the M12 switch isn't negotiating down to 100Mb/s. If the M12 has a user interface, usually accessible via a webpage if one exists, you may be able to set the speed of one of the ports at fixed at 100Mb/s rather than auto-negotiate.
and per JCAT web: (MUON)

A GIGABIT SWITCHING HUB FOR HIGH-END NETWORK AUDIO​

so it is NOT me! or my Aries!
and interestingly:
Failing that, we could offer you a trade-in on your current Muon Streaming System for our new Muon Pro Streaming System. The Muon Pro operates at 1Gb/s and will work fine with the M12 Gold. It isn't on our website yet, and is being officially released later this month. As well as working at 1Gb/s it also sounds better than the standard version.

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
So this is interesting: I ran my Supra Cat 8 directly into my Auralic Aries G2.1 Streamer.
JCAT M12 Gold > JCAT M12 Gold 2m cable > JCAT Net Isolator > 20m Supra Cat 8 > Aries
(no wall plates or cheap coupler)
It immediately connects. It sounds great.
But I want to try my MUon Filter System to compare.
I insert the Muon right in front of the Streamer (the EtherRegen is gone).
It WILL NOT connect. wired input can not be established.
I remove Muon, it connects.

So I send a question to Rich at Network Acoustics. Per Rich:

and per JCAT web: (MUON)

so it is NOT me! or my Aries!
and interestingly:
That’s interesting indeed. I looked up your Aries, which indicates a Gigabit Ethernet requirement same as my Merging +player. I had the similar problem with ENO, it would not work with my Merging +player. I was just as surprised to learn that both ‘standard‘ Muon and ENO plus LAN cables complies or limited to 100Mbps speed. Only you can access if you need ER or Muon back in the signal path.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
That’s interesting indeed. I looked up your Aries, which indicates a Gigabit Ethernet requirement same as my Merging +player. I had the similar problem with ENO, it would not work with my Merging +player. I was just as surprised to learn that both ‘standard‘ Muon and ENO plus LAN cables complies or limited to 100Mbps speed. Only you can access if you need ER or Muon back in the signal path.
I asked JCAT some things. Here is his reply:

The connection speed is auto-negotiable - it can not be selected.

I think it can work only between the router and the m12 gold switch.

I personally prefer the 1000Mbit connection speed.
:

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Reactions: Drikus

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
It will be available from JCAT next month. I've been evaluating a sample in my system for a month already.

Best regards,
Marcin
Hello Marcin, That’s a great news. Would you please share your impressions of OPT Bridge? Are you using the Bridge before or after M12 switch? I currently own M12 Gold switch with OPTIMO 3 DUO PS!

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hello Marcin, That’s a great news. Would you please share your impressions of OPT Bridge? Are you using the Bridge before or after M12 switch? I currently own M12 Gold switch with OPTIMO 3 DUO PS!
I installed the OPT BRIDGE 1000M powered by OPTIMO 3 DUO between my main router (OPTIMO 3 DUO powered Ubiquiti Edgerouter X) and OPTIMO 3 DUO powered M12 SWITCH GOLD. The M12 SWITCH GOLD is in the main system room located 12m from the room where the router and the OPT BRIDGE 1000M is.

I listened right away and, to be honest, I was disappointed, because the improvement was minimal. Then I left the system overnight and the next morning I was blown away how much it improved. So yes - it makes sense even if one already uses M12 SWITCH GOLD. It adds clarity, improves articulation while making the sound more analogue. I was skeptical given the price, but the imrpovement is substantial.

I still have to check how the sound changes if I move it closer to my main rig.

IMG_3723.jpeg

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
I installed the OPT BRIDGE 1000M powered by OPTIMO 3 DUO between my main router (OPTIMO 3 DUO powered Ubiquiti Edgerouter X) and OPTIMO 3 DUO powered M12 SWITCH GOLD. The M12 SWITCH GOLD is in the main system room located 12m from the room where the router and the OPT BRIDGE 1000M is.

I listened right away and, to be honest, I was disappointed, because the improvement was minimal. Then I left the system overnight and the next morning I was blown away how much it improved. So yes - it makes sense even if one already uses M12 SWITCH GOLD. It adds clarity, improves articulation while making the sound more analogue. I was skeptical given the price, but the imrpovement is substantial.

I still have to check how the sound changes if I move it closer to my main rig.

View attachment 103579
Hello Marcin, I really appreciate your feedback. I am hoping to try this in my system once available. Please do post your impressions once you move Optic Bridge closer to your main rig. I will be placing the BRIDGE 1.5M away from M12. I am currently running a 15M run of high quality LINKUP CAT8 Ethernet patch cable from my modem (see pic). The BRIDE is going to replace the RJ45 Coupler :)

Another question, the two DC cables (orange and blue), are they the newest addition? I don’t see them on your website?

Attachments

• 77F81391-5766-4487-8C3B-F13AAFE36E8E.jpeg
    77F81391-5766-4487-8C3B-F13AAFE36E8E.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Pokey77

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello Marcin and zebo67,
Reporting back on addition of the new Muon Pro Filter System replacing the standard Muon filter system from Network Acoustics. Recall I had issues with the 100MB/s Muon Filter connecting with my Auralic Aries G2.1, which wants the 1G speed. I am happy to report the new Muon Pro connects right away with it's 1GB/s speed. The Muon Pro filter sounds even better to my ears than the original Muon. I was able to a/b compare the two in my second system, which easily connects with either filter. The Muon Pro is smoother, easier, more extended and yet more relaxing. The bass and midrange seem to just bloom. Even with the excellent M12 Gold switch, the Muon Pro improves things yet again. I love the passive nature and no need to power it. The Muon Pro Filter system comes with attached Muon Pro network cable (with nice Gold RJ45 connectors) on the out end, and also includes the second Muon Pro directional cable for the input side of the Filter. I use JCAT Net Isolator couplers and avoid any cheap wall plate couplers. My Supra Cat 8 runs through the wall at both ends to facilitate this. Rich at Network Acoustics is super helpful to help sort this all out!

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hello Marcin, I really appreciate your feedback. I am hoping to try this in my system once available. Please do post your impressions once you move Optic Bridge closer to your main rig. I will be placing the BRIDGE 1.5M away from M12. I am currently running a 15M run of high quality LINKUP CAT8 Ethernet patch cable from my modem (see pic). The BRIDE is going to replace the RJ45 Coupler :)

Another question, the two DC cables (orange and blue), are they the newest addition? I don’t see them on your website?
These DC cables are some prototypes - our upcoming ULTIMO PSU needs a a better cable :)

Reactions: zebo67

kyoya78

Apr 2, 2020
Japan
I replaced the Gold with the Premium.

Compared to the Gold, the Premium has more resolution (especially in the low frequencies) and better sound extraction.

Although Tellegartner does not tell us in detail what has changed, it seems that everything inside has been redesigned from the ground up and is entirely different,

The input DC voltage range has been changed from 18V to 27V DC, so those using an external DC power supply should be careful.

The OPT BRIDGE 1000M optical isolator is equivalent to another product I am currently using, and I did not go so far as to replace it,

I later heard that the sound is very good if firmly fixed with metal fittings.

showimage1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing