Magico A5?

Mar 8, 2020
It will be good if you can hear a pair in the future and then know for yourself.

If you hear the S5II in a well set up system with complimentary electronics it's going to sound really good. Ditto for the A5s.

They both have VG bass performance and I don't find either lacking in high frequency performance. Probably more to do with the room(s) and equipment you would hear them in as they both are very good performers in both mentioned areas, imho.
From what I heard A5 gets pretty close overall to s5 mk2 SQ but for a lot less.

Jan 16, 2013
NYC
From what I heard A5 gets pretty close overall to s5 mk2 SQ but for a lot less.
In Magico land the A5 is a high achiever for sure. BUT people buy speakers for lot's of reasons. Some people like the S series two different finish options and five colors with each finish. Some like the shape of S or M series cabinets vs. the A series aesthetics.

If you are just concerned about sonics the A5 is VERY GOOD, BUT so is the S5II as well as the S3II. I have several customers who already own the S3II, S5II and have heard the A5's and thought they sounded amazing, BUT they are happy with their current speakers as well and have no plans to replace them with A5s.

Choices, choices, choices:)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020
In Magico land the A5 is a high achiever for sure. BUT people buy speakers for lot's of reasons. Some people like the S series two different finish options and five colors with each finish. Some like the shape of S or M series cabinets vs. the A series aesthetics.

If you are just concerned about sonics the A5 is VERY GOOD, BUT so is the S5II as well as the S3II. I have several customers who already own the S3II, S5II and have heard the A5's and thought they sounded amazing, BUT they are happy with their current speakers as well and have no plans to replace them with A5s.

Choices, choices, choices:)
I get that its hard if not impossible to state you enjoy one speaker more than another when you sell both. Luckily there are third parties that can freely express that openly and (although that is no subsitution for personal audition) its fun reading such analyses.

Jan 16, 2013
NYC
I get that its hard if not impossible to state you enjoy one speaker more than another when you sell both. Luckily there are third parties that can freely express that openly and (although that is no subsitution for personal audition) its fun reading such analyses.
Agreed, good to get lot's of opinions. My opinion is just from my experience. I'm actually not a good barometer as I enjoy music on A5's, M2s, Alsyvox, Diesis, Bayz and even many speakers that I don't sell. I do NOT feel one is better than the other, they are all very good to me. But different speakers fit different rooms, systems and ears.

Personally I do not subscribe to one being better than another. Just as I don't subscribe to one being better regarding high end cars, motorcycles, guitars etc. I subscribe that one may be better for one person, but not the next person.

Mar 8, 2020
Agreed, good to get lot's of opinions. My opinion is just from my experience. I'm actually not a good barometer as I enjoy music on A5's, M2s, Alsyvox, Diesis, Bayz and even many speakers that I don't sell. I do NOT feel one is better than the other, they are all very good to me. But different speakers fit different rooms, systems and ears.

Personally I do not subscribe to one being better than another. Just as I don't subscribe to one being better regarding high end cars, motorcycles, guitars etc. I subscribe that one may be better for one person, but not the next person.
Right but when many people (including myself) ask is 'X better than Y' they are asking in your opinion... you as an individual. Your taste, your system etc etc. Its surprising how often this is conflated for some kind of absolute statement of 1 speaker being better than the other for every audiophile on earth. I would venture most people realize that opinions are just that opinions and that audio is subjective.

And as for your perspective of enjoying them all, I don't doubt that. Certainly different speakers have different strengths. But a way to tease that out further would be to ask.. if you had to choose 1 set of speakers to use for the rest of your life (and no others)... what would it be? Of course this is just rhetorical... no need to answer. It is simply a thought experiment for the person who 'loves it all'.

Jan 16, 2013
NYC
Right but when many people (including myself) ask is 'X better than Y' they are asking in your opinion... you as an individual. Your taste, your system etc etc. Its surprising how often this is conflated for some kind of absolute statement of 1 speaker being better than the other for every audiophile on earth. I would venture most people realize that opinions are just that opinions and that audio is subjective.

And as for your perspective of enjoying them all, I don't doubt that. Certainly different speakers have different strengths. But a way to tease that out further would be to ask.. if you had to choose 1 set of speakers to use for the rest of your life (and no others)... what would it be? Of course this is just rhetorical... no need to answer. It is simply a thought experiment for the person who 'loves it all'.
Your question would have to be answered by someone that would be in that position. My experience since the 80's is that I have at all times had at least 2 different speaker systems and most of the time 3 or 4 different pairs. That was 20 years prior to having 20 sets of speakers as a dealer for the last 20 years.

I've always enjoyed having different sets of speakers. Electronics as well. I think since the 80's as well I've always had some type of tube systems and some type of SS set ups. Would also mix tube preamps with SS amps so it's always been tubes, SS or hybrid systems.

I'm the same with guitars and vehicles as well. I think I have 10 guitars at the moment.

So, your question would have to be answered by someone that would be able to answer it in more meaningful way.

This is why I can't answer the question about one speaker vs another and it has NOTHING to do with me selling the speakers, it's just that I don't think that way. ymmv.

Actually if I was put in the position to pick one speaker to live with forever I would choose the most expensive one, sell it and buy one acoustic guitar, with a pick-up and a small amp. I'd be happy with that set up forever vs one set of speakers.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing