Magico A5?

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
A5s out of the box sound TERRIBLE.
No liveliness, no bloom, no beauty.
They need a few hours at high volume to sound ok, then a couple hundred more hours before you realise that they have disappeared completely, leaving behind only the music.
They disappear like few others, and top-to-bottom take on a neutral, fast, accurate but NEVER nasty mien, with a beautiful natural midrange. Good wide-range frequency response- I actually prefer than without subs as the bass is so fast (not to say that excellent subs to fill the lowest lows wouldn’t help). Easy to place in-room for tonality, but quite fussy for perfect imaging.
And that’s driven with a solid state amp.
Make sure you hear a run-in sample- I was shocked at how awful they were at startup, compared to the ones I had heard at the shop.
All the best.
Thanks ICUToo:
I guess I just need to keep the faith. I have been playing them as much as possible at high volume. They are working my MC611’s to death to get any volume out of them. hopefully the efficiency improves. I have already thought of adding a Sub if I have to. I can’t live with the lack of bass I’m getting at this point. The bass is super fast and accurate but lacking any punch. I definitely didn’t need a sub with my 801N’s and I did express concern about that with the salesperson.
My wife who really isn‘t passionate about music at all, but would listen to certain Music, Songs with me occasionally said to me “the old speakers sounded like a live concert, these just sound like ok music” She walked out of the room. I think that hurt the most.
I think I care more about what she thinks than what I think. Crazy I know.
I have about 40 hours on them and they haven’t improved much. I will keep the faith And hope!
anyway again thanks for the comments. I’m going to hang in for a while and see.
All the Best!
KP

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I understand speaker placement. However that said it’s not always aesthetically pleasing to move the speakers out I the room. That was the reason for the purchase in the first place.
I had replaced the 801n’s with something new at my primary home so I brought the 801’s up to my lake home. They were way to large for the remodel plans that we have for the main level of the home. I called The Listening Room in Chicago inquiring about a different speaker. The salesperson talked me into the Magico and said I would “Love Them” and they would work in my home much better than my current speaker. Didn’t work out that way so fare.
I understand they will get better with brake in and I did move them around just to see what a difference it would make. Some not much so I moved them back to make the wife happy.
I will continue to pursue this for a few more days and see what happens.
in the end I can trade again I guess. We will see. Thanks for the help and advice.
BEST!
KP
Have you tried putting the spikes on the A5's vs just sitting on the carpet. It will make a fairly significant difference, along with another 150 hours.

The A5's CAN be placed against the back wall with the sealed cabinets, although if both speakers are in the corners of the room, I'm not sure you are going to get "good sound".

That's a job for Peter's corner horns:)

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
Have you tried putting the spikes on the A5's vs just sitting on the carpet. It will make a fairly significant difference, along with another 150 hours.

The A5's CAN be placed against the back wall with the sealed cabinets, although if both speakers are in the corners of the room, I'm not sure you are going to get "good sound".

That's a job for Peter's corner horns:)
Rhapsody,
I agree on the spikes. That makes some difference. hopefully improve efficiency buy at least 40%. I think you really helped me make my mind up to trade these thing off. Or I guess I can sell the house…LOL
the house has corners for sure. My 801N’s performed beautifully in the exact same position.
just not going to work in my situation i think.
this speaker is just way to sensitive for me.
I have never owned a horn speaker…who knows maybe…LOL

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Rhapsody,
I agree on the spikes. That makes some difference. hopefully improve efficiency buy at least 40%. I think you really helped me make my mind up to trade these thing off. Or I guess I can sell the house…LOL
the house has corners for sure. My 801N’s performed beautifully in the exact same position.
just not going to work in my situation i think.
this speaker is just way to sensitive for me.
I have never owned a horn speaker…who knows maybe…LOL
I don't think the spikes will change the efficiency of the speakers 1%. The spikes, especially on a carpeted floor, will improve the overall bass performance. Improve the bass performance and it will also improve the midrange, high frequencies, as well as tonality and your soundstage. Bass is everything!

The A5s are high resolution speakers for sure. They are going to tell you what is going on with your placement in your room and with your system/cables etc.

I was just trying to offer assistance from afar, but would need to see the complete room pic.

Also, as we have said you need at least 200 hours on the speakers to tell what they are going to sound like. You do NOT have to play at high volume during the break in period.

Reactions: kparmer65

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
What about it don’t you like?
Not much air or sense of space. like I said my wife who knows very little about audio other than what she likes. “The 801n’s sounded like a live concert, these just sound like ok speakers“ she walked out of the room and didn’t even listen.
The 801 had massive bass and a huge presence. The worst part if you can believe it were much more efficient. I feel like the A5 turned my 611’s into MC300. How depressing is that.

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
I don't think the spikes will change the efficiency of the speakers 1%. The spikes, especially on a carpeted floor, will improve the overall bass performance. Improve the bass performance and it will also improve the midrange, high frequencies, as well as tonality and your soundstage. Bass is everything!

The A5s are high resolution speakers for sure. They are going to tell you what is going on with your placement in your room and with your system/cables etc.

I was just trying to offer assistance from afar, but would need to see the complete room pic.

Also, as we have said you need at least 200 hours on the speakers to tell what they are going to sound like. You do NOT have to play at high volume during the break in period.
Thank you Rhapsody.
we will put the spikes on and see what a difference it makes.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Not much air or sense of space. like I said my wife who knows very little about audio other than what she likes. “The 801n’s sounded like a live concert, these just sound like ok speakers“ she walked out of the room and didn’t even listen.
The 801 had massive bass and a huge presence. The worst part if you can believe it were much more efficient. I feel like the A5 turned my 611’s into MC300. How depressing is that.
Well, Precision Audio/Video is the only Chicago Magico Dealer in Chicago.

I MAY HAVE MISSED IT, but if you google The Listening Room in Chicago there is no listing for an audio dealer under this name. There is a Japanese type "Listening Room" listed under the "Exchange" in Chicago, but no audio store called the Listening Room. Again, maybe no listing under google???

I was going to talk to this dealer and make sure they could give you some assistance, but I don't see this dealer via Google and they definitely are not an authorized Magico dealer.

As a matter of fact, as you could not have bought the A5's new, because Precision Audio/Video is the only Magico dealer in Chicago, so whoever this dealer is must have sold you used A5s. Maybe there is something wrong with the used A5's that you purchased????

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Rhapsody, good point about being used. I can understand a new speaker sounding different, but “A5s out of the box sound TERRIBLE.” does seem extreme.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Rhapsody, good point about being used. I can understand a new speaker sounding different, but “A5s out of the box sound TERRIBLE.” does seem extreme.
I never said that someone else did. To me that was never the case. When I first set my A5’s up I was amazed at how good they sounded out of the boxes. But they do get better with a couple hundred hours.

It also has to do with how you set them up and what your system is feeding them.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
DUHHHHH....I should have been paying more attention, last night I was watching two baseball games and the basketball game at the same time via two iPads and the tv:) while writing.

The 801s are 91db efficient, the A5's are 88db efficient. Not a great difference but you would be playing the volume at a higher level with the A5's vs the 801s.

THE 801'S ARE A DOWNWARD FIRING PORTED DESIGN. THE A5'S ARE A SEALED CABINET.

As we all know ported bass speakers and sealed cabinet speakers present bass in an entirely different manner. I won't go into my opinions on both designs if set up properly both designs can make GREAT sound, although the sonics and ESPECIALLY the bass is going to deliver an entirely different presentation.

I believe the 3 db efficiency, the ported vs sealed box, and set up has a LOT to do with this new A5 owner's initial experience. He may never like a sealed cabinet design speaker after being used to a ported design.

It takes times getting used to the sonic change when switching from ported to sealed cabinet bass, which imho is a totally different type of sonic presentation. ymmv.

Edit- This is why it is important to be working with the dealer who sold the A5s. A Magico dealer would have explained these mentioned points to set the proper expectations. In this case I am not sure who this pair of A5's was purchased from. It APPEARS that it was NOT from an authorized Magico dealer, if they were new or used and lastly working properly or not.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
As a matter of fact, when I received my first pair of A5's, out of the box (in a very mature/well set up system), after listening for 30 minutes, I called Alon and said WTF is going on. I was SO amazed, right out of the box, by the mid-bass and mid-range transparency. It superseded what I was use to with ANY speaker in this respect.

I said to Alon if this is what you did for $22K (price at the time) I want to order a pair of M9s and see what you do at that price point.

After installing our first pair of M9s in Dallas a few months ago, I was elated with my decision, which was based on my initial hearing of the A5s, which shared the same midrange driver technology that is in the M9 midrange drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I went to my local dealer to hear the A5. I owned Q3s at the time and read all this great stuff about the A5. When I told dealing what my system was he told me I wouldn’t want to listen to the A5. I had also just heard the M3 in his bigger room. At the time I really liked Magico speakers and I wanted to hear what all the accolades were for. I asked him twice because I was really curious and they were right there in the smaller room and he refused to turn on the system choosing to discuss room acoustics instead. I haven’t been there since.

A5’s when broken in and properly placed in a room sound really good. I was considering them in lieu of our M3‘s which were delivered last Dec. However, the M2s and M3s are at another level.

While good out of the crate, the M3’s still took app 500 hours to break in. The same with our previous A3’s. So, I’d expect the same out of the A5’s. This is why I asked to poster how many hours had they been running. I also asked for pics to observe his setup. Magicos have to be set up correctly in order to hear what they can do.

Years ago we owned some B&W 802s. Even our A3s sounded better.

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
Well, Precision Audio/Video is the only Chicago Magico Dealer in Chicago.

I MAY HAVE MISSED IT, but if you google The Listening Room in Chicago there is no listing for an audio dealer under this name. There is a Japanese type "Listening Room" listed under the "Exchange" in Chicago, but no audio store called the Listening Room. Again, maybe no listing under google???

I was going to talk to this dealer and make sure they could give you some assistance, but I don't see this dealer via Google and they definitely are not an authorized Magico dealer.

As a matter of fact, as you could not have bought the A5's new, because Precision Audio/Video is the only Magico dealer in Chicago, so whoever this dealer is must have sold you used A5s. Maybe there is something wrong with the used A5's that you purchased????
My apologies I have two pages of venders and contractors I’m dealing with as I’m in the middle of remodel and new construction here. I purchased some other audio gear, AV for another room. I did purchase from Precision Audio. And yes the were New. Serial #000629 and 630.

Reactions: Rhapsody

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
DUHHHHH....I should have been paying more attention, last night I was watching two baseball games and the basketball game at the same time via two iPads and the tv:) while writing.

The 801s are 91db efficient, the A5's are 88db efficient. Not a great difference but you would be playing the volume at a higher level with the A5's vs the 801s.

THE 801'S ARE A DOWNWARD FIRING PORTED DESIGN. THE A5'S ARE A SEALED CABINET.

As we all know ported bass speakers and sealed cabinet speakers present bass in an entirely different manner. I won't go into my opinions on both designs if set up properly both designs can make GREAT sound, although the sonics and ESPECIALLY the bass is going to deliver an entirely different presentation.

I believe the 3 db efficiency, the ported vs sealed box, and set up has a LOT to do with this new A5 owner's initial experience. He may never like a sealed cabinet design speaker after being used to a ported design.

It takes times getting used to the sonic change when switching from ported to sealed cabinet bass, which imho is a totally different type of sonic presentation. ymmv.

Edit- This is why it is important to be working with the dealer who sold the A5s. A Magico dealer would have explained these mentioned points to set the proper expectations. In this case I am not sure who this pair of A5's was purchased from. It APPEARS that it was NOT from an authorized Magico dealer, if they were new or used and lastly working properly or not.
I didn’t really want to get into this because my current speaker is a B&W but yes I understand portended vs sealed. I owned a pair of Infinity sealed speakers they bought some time in the 90’s. funny thing is I had them in storage until recently, gave them a quick listen for the first time in two decades then sold them to clear out unused items I had collected. When I called Precision it was to inquire on a set of B&W 801D4’s. just to note I had recently also listened to a set of Wilson’s so I’m not really biased to the B&W brand. Just didn’t have a lot of time so I decided to go with the 801D4’s. As I stated before i expressed concern when he suggested the A5 in comparison to my 801’s. Told him what I liked about them My 801’s He assured me the A5 would outperform in those specific areas.
at the end of the day this is my fault for not sticking to my guns.
I didn’t post on hear to ruffle anyones feathers. I really don’t do much of that. I have built a few show winning hot Rods and I stayed away from the message boards did my own thing and let Good Guys and the Gilmore Museum judges speak louder than opinion.

I appreciate all the responses and opinions. I’m sure I can get this issue sorted.
again All the Best!
KP

Reactions: Bobvin and Rhapsody

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
I would agree on placement in our primary home we have a large room for Audio set up perfect. this home has smaller rooms being a 4 bed @ 2400 square feet.
moving the speakers out into the room more is not really a option for my wife…LOL.
While I have a tendency to listen to all types of Music including classical. My wife is a hard core rocker. She had me put on Gov’t Mule Live 30 days in the whole and if I can crank it up and it sounds like she’s at the live show with the bass ponding her in the chest she’s happy.
it’s not me as much as my wife. She is devastated so I am.
I will get this sorted for her I’m sure.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
"...
I didn’t post on hear to ruffle anyones feathers. I really don’t do much of that. I have built a few show winning hot Rods and I stayed away from the message boards did my own thing and let Good Guys and the Gilmore Museum judges speak louder than opinion.
Yet, here you are, your first post on WBF (and on others - same A5 critical post), criticizing a remarkable product you clearly don't understand (you can't just drop them on a carpet, in what looks like an alcove and expect them to work). It doesn't even feel like you are asking for help, which you clearly need if you wish to hear what these speakers can do.

My advice to you is to sell them. That is not the right product for you. The wait on an A5 now is very long. I know of at least two guys who would gladly take them out of your hand. You can buy a used 801 for around $6K and move on.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
To me, it's not a total surprise you were a little disappointed by the A5. I agree with your fundamental assessment that perhaps your dealer didn't listen or didn't understand needs/preference of more low bass which you'll get more from the ported 801N, compared to the sealed A5. Particularly if your wife is a hardcore rocker. Personally, I strongly suspect if you had taken a microphone to measure your 801N in the same location, most people would think that you have excessive bass that you just got used to and it's not natural. But then it's your money so you and your wife should enjoy music however you want to enjoy it.

A quick search for Stereophile's measurements of the 801N vs A5 would show you the differences in the frequency response characteristics.
Given the photo provided, I doubt you can re-inforce the A5 bass any more to your liking. I think combining everyone's suggestions including my own, your best bet for now is:
1) Burn in the speakers some more as the bass quality will improve (although I doubt you'll get more low bass then what you had with the 801N). I do think part (but not all) of that lack of presence is due to the woofers not being burnt in yet.
2) Toe in the speakers more to get more treble. I think the 801N treble is actually quite excessive but the lateral dispersion lowers the treble more. Whereas the A5 treble is more natural but to get the same sense of space and air, you need to point the tweeter towards your listening position (or at least at your ears). Especially when you're used to the excess treble from the 801N
3) If after 200 hours of burn-in, you're still not happy with the A5, it's time to get rid of it as it's in high demand so I doubt you'll lose much money (if at all) from the sale and you can always buy a pair of B&W speakers that you're happy with.
At the end of the day, you should be happy with the speakers that you own.
Personally, I'll take the A5 any day over any generation of B&W speakers. But that's my personal preference. It's possible that you don't. That's fine. That's why people drive different cars, prefer different foods, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing