Magico A5?

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
Trade the A5’s for a
Set of 801d2’s. Been waiting for them to
Come in.
I will let you know how these compare.
Any updates? My A5’s are far better than my 802N’s. Bass, tightness, imaging, vocals are just some aspects. Bass extension well below 802N.
I found 801N too over the top in smaller areas.
As mentioned, I listened to 800D3 and they didn’t have the same imaging as the A5’s.
I don’t use a sub in music mode, no need to.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Any updates? My A5’s are far better than my 802N’s. Bass, tightness, imaging, vocals are just some aspects. Bass extension well below 802N.
I found 801N too over the top in smaller areas.
As mentioned, I listened to 800D3 and they didn’t have the same imaging as the A5’s.
I don’t use a sub in music mode, no need to.

Yup I really doubt any B+W speaker would come close to an a5.

Reactions: steve59

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
What’s your power amp, Soundrulz?
I guess my signature doesn’t come up. Here you go,
Bryston SP3, BDP-2, BDA 3, 28B3, 6B SST, 4B SST, Paradigm Sub 2, B&W AM1x4, Magico A5, ACC, Sony A80J 77
All amps and sub (220v) running on 20amp circuits.

Reactions: ICUToo

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I heard at a dealers showroom the A3's (before the A5' came out), to me they sounded very dead. Limited frequency extremes and soundstage. I ended up buying the Focal Sopra 2's.
One would assume that the A5's must be better than the A3's for they cost more. But do they? And do they have the same type of sound?

ozzy

Reactions: FDPDK and Pokey77

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks for the review it was a good read.
However, to my ears with the equipment I heard them with they (A3's) sounded dead. The electronics used were Ayre amps and preamp. Perhaps the equipment used in the review favored the A3 dead sound.

ozzy

Reactions: Pokey77

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
Thanks for the review it was a good read.
However, to my ears with the equipment I heard them with they (A3's) sounded dead. The electronics used were Ayre amps and preamp. Perhaps the equipment used in the review favored the A3 dead sound.

ozzy
I think the Magico sound is not for everyone. Of course, the pairing electronics matter a lot too. For me, comparing Magico speaker to other speakers is kinda like comparing solid state amps to tube amps. Ultimately, it’s just what people prefer.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
And that is very true. To use the liquid/dry description used by many to describe sound quality. The Sopra's sounded liquid while the A3's sounded dry. Listening to female vocals was the kicker. The Sopra made the sound, sound real while the A3's sounded flat. Did I say I didn't like the A3's?

I am using tube mono blocks and the Sopra's impressed me even more when I brought them home.
But everyone has different tastes and electronics so your milage may vary..

ozzy

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
But everyone has different tastes and electronics so your milage may vary..

ozzy
Indeed!
To me, all the Sopras (2 and 3) sound splashy and bloated, just like described in the report.
I would add that Ayre would not be my first choice of amplification.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Some say that the reviews on Hi Fi Plus are rather useless because they are mostly subjective in style.
However I agree with many of the points in this recent review :

Last edited:

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Some say that the reviews on Hi Fi Plus are rather useless because they are mostly subjective in style.
However I agree with many of the points in this recent review :

Thanks for that link, CK! One might think the inestimable Mr. Sircom spends time reading this forum from the perspectives put forth in his review.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks for that link, CK! One might think the inestimable Mr. Sircom spends time reading this forum from the perspectives put forth in his review.
:p

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
HenryD,
The Ayre equipment was what the dealer had them connected to.
But like everything else, our systems and choices are fine tuned to what we like.

I just can't believe anyone likes the A3 sound...No amount of tweaking could get me to like the deadness of that speaker.
So, does the A5 share the A3 sound? I notice it has more woofers.

ozzy

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
You are right. They do a lot of advertising and reviews in the rag mags. I was going to buy them too! I expected much more from them until I heard them.

ozzy

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
I guess you are the only one who listens before buying. The rest of us are idiots.
So there you have it. You should listen to the A5 and find out for yourself.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. My comments may have been over the top.

ozzy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing