Magico A5?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
A dealer told me that Magico is introducing the A5 in Dec 2019. No other details were given. Anyone heard anything about any of this?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A picture of it was posted on audioshark the other day

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thanks for the pic Jambo. I'll check out audioshark to ack. I just ordered an A3 a few days back, so I'm wondering what the sound and price difference would be for the A5.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just wait till Monday to find out the price

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
She looks like a beauty! Still no pricing or availability ....

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
That's not the same midrange or tweeter shown in the teaser Magico posted for the A5. My guess is it could be a new large 3-way stand mount in the S series given the diamond deposition tweeter. I doubt Alon would filter down the diamond BE tweeter to the A series just yet. Though we'll have to wait and see..
Hello Bodhi : You are likely right.

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Well looks like I called that wrong. Here is the latest sneak peak of the A5. The earlier rendering from Magico has been updated to include the new 5" midrange driver & what appears to be the familar A series BE tweeter. What a thing!

Reactions: Audire and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Well looks like I called that wrong. Here is the latest sneak peak of the A5. The earlier rendering from Magico has been updated to include the new 5" midrange driver & what appears to be the familar A series BE tweeter. What a thing!

Seems that it can ROCK! :oops:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I am looking for new speakers for my spare stereo and HT. These might just be it. Assuming they don’t cost more than my S5 MK2. :)

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Official Release:

Hayward, CA (USA) – December 6, 2019 – The largest and most advanced of Magico’s A Series, the A5 incorporates the company’s first 5-inch pure midrange driver as well as enhanced midrange and bass driver cone technology. These new cones achieve unprecedented stiffness-to-weight ratio, a key parameter that Magico has pursued over the past 15 years. In addition, the crossover debuts Mundorf’s new M-Resist Ultra foil resistors for unmatched transparency, liquidity and power handling. “The A Series has been a great success in reaching a wider audience,” said Magico’s founder, Alon Wolf. “The A5 builds on that success with a new 5-inch midrange of extraordinary musicality. And the A5 ‘plays larger,’ with powerfully extended dynamic range.” The three-way, five- driver floor standing speaker retains such Magico hallmarks as extensively cross-braced 6061 aircraft grade aluminum and Elliptical Symmetry Crossover. Finished in brushed black anodized aluminum, the loudspeaker will be available in the first quarter of 2020 at a suggested retail price of
$21,800/pair.

New bass drivers with advanced new sandwich cones

The 9” bass drivers of the A5 feature a newly enhanced version of Magico’s Graphene Nano-Tec cones. Graphene, a hexagonal lattice of carbon, achieves 50 times the tensile strength of high-carbon steel. The new cone design combines Graphene layered carbon fiber with advanced new core materials to achieve the highest possible stiffness to weight ratio. Thanks to extensive computer simulation and prototype tests, the driver chassis achieves an ideal combination of stiffness and damping, minimizing acoustical contribution and maximizing airflow. The new bass unit incorporates oversized components including a 5-inch pure Titanium voice coil and huge copper cap with 1?2” of linear excursion. The super-stabilized magnetic field enables the A5 to really thunder, producing 115 dB SPL (@ 50 Hz, 1 meter), while maintaining very low distortion and inductance below 0.18 mH. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) provides Magico engineers a single platform to assess acoustical, mechanical, electromagnetic and thermal properties. This meticulous testing helps minimize distortions in the frequency and time domains. Borrowed from the Magico M3 and M6, the triple bass driver configuration provides easy room integration, maximum distribution of the floor bounce effect and effortless reproduction of extreme musical peaks.

New five-inch pure midrange driver

The new 5-inch full-cone midrange driver enables wider dispersion and greater midrange transparency. Like the bass driver, the midrange also incorporates an advanced Graphene carbon fiber sandwich cone. A new foam surround helps achieve ideal cone/surround integration, faster settling time and impressively low distortion. The all-new motor system uses a pure Titanium voice coil. The super stabilized magnetic field and pure copper pole cap minimize eddy currents and maximize efficiency. This latest midrange driver sets new benchmarks of measured performance.

High frequency driver

Based on the fundamental design platform and geometry of the M-Series tweeters and shared with the other members of the A-Series, the tweeter incorporates a pure beryllium-diaphragm with an optimized 28-mm dome. Magico encases the customized neodymium motor system in an engineered back chamber with the company’s most advanced damping materials. This enables ultra-low distortion, high power handling, massive dynamic capabilities and extended linear voice coil movement.

Crossover debuts the Mundorf M-Resist Ultra foil resistors

Magico acoustically integrates all five drivers with the proprietary Elliptical Symmetry Crossover topology built with state-of-the-art components from Mundorf EB Gmbh of Cologne, Germany. The A5 will be the first product in the world to offer Mundorf’s new M-Resist Ultra foil resistors. Now perfected after years of development, the new resistors deliver greater power handling, transparency and liquidity. The 3-way network features a 24 dB per octave Linkwitz-Riley filter that maximizes frequency bandwidth while preserving phase linearity and minimizing intermodulation distortion.
Aircraft-grade aluminum enclosure

Weighing in at 180 pounds each, the A5 features a massive, sealed enclosure machined entirely of 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, the same material and construction methods as in Magico’s acclaimed Q-Series. Complex internal bracing helps stiffen the entire enclosure and minimize resonance. A dedicated sub-enclosure houses the midrange driver, protecting it from the extensive back wave energy of the bass drivers. The aluminum has an elegant, brushed black anodized finish.

Driver Complement

1” Tweeter (x1)
5” Graphene Nano-Tec Midrange (x1) 9” Graphene Nano-Tec Bass (x3)
Specifications
Sensitivity:
Impedance:
Frequency Response: Recommended Power: Dimensions:
Weight:
Suggested Retail Price (US): Ship date:
88 dB
4 Ohms
22 Hz – 50 kHz
50 – 1000 Watts
10.5” (W) x 14.9” (D) x 44.75” (H) 180 lbs.
$21,800/pair
1st Quarter 2020
2019 Magico LLC

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wow, that looks like a lot of speaker for $22K. I just wish Magico would develop more efficient speakers with >95dB sensitivity. But it may be physics with the sealed cabinet, I don't know. The A series is looking like a very complete speaker line including monitors and subs. Impressive build quality and tech for the price.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
They have me tempted. I should upgrade my spare stereo and HT system. The only issue is they would be idle 99% of the time.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
I hope it sounds good.

I'm guessing it's WAF will be 0.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I hope it sounds good.

I'm guessing it's WAF will be 0.

That certainly has not been the case with the A3. There are a lot of guys and their wives that just want a simple speakers design that sounds great. Plus can be literally put back against a back wall. Wives LOVE that:0)

PLUS there will probably be grill covers ie, the A3, which really makes the speaker blend in to normal environments.

Reactions: KLH007

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Resistor.jpg
Magico's propriety MResist in the new A5

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Magico's propriety MResist in the new A5
I wonder how much of a difference they make? I would have thought the S series' diamond-coated BE tweeter and superior cabinet would make a bigger difference than a x-over part?

Last edited:

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I sent an inquiry to Magico asking how they compared to the original S3, this is what Peter Mackay responed with....

Thank you for your message and inquiry regarding the sound performance of the new A5 in comparison to the original S3.

We are pleased to report without hesitation that the performance level of the new A5 will easily surpass the original S3 loudspeakers. The advancements made at Magico over the past 2-3 years with transducer, enclosure and crossover designs are vast and have raised the bar significantly since the release of the S3.

Reactions: KLH007

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing