Magico A5?

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I have heard the A3 at a showroom- it is very clean and clear without much extra noise added to the signal. I bought the A5 because it is such a truthful transducer- sounds great to me, plenty of “they are here” moments and very enjoyable.
Never heard them side by side with the A3 so cannot comment so much on the differences. The A5 has a little treble roll off on-axis but otherwise are as good as I have heard down to about 50Hz. I run a pair of subs and really I am struggling now to know how I could make things better.
If you are interested in the A5s, only an audition with amps you know and trust will tell you what you need to know. I love mine.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I have heard the A3 at a showroom- it is very clean and clear without much extra noise added to the signal. I bought the A5 because it is such a truthful transducer- sounds great to me, plenty of “they are here” moments and very enjoyable.
Never heard them side by side with the A3 so cannot comment so much on the differences. The A5 has a little treble roll off on-axis but otherwise are as good as I have heard down to about 50Hz. I run a pair of subs and really I am struggling now to know how I could make things better.
If you are interested in the A5s, only an audition with amps you know and trust will tell you what you need to know. I love mine.
I owned the A3s, have heard the A5s. and presently own Magico M3s.

The Magico A3s are excellent, but if someone can afford the A5s they have much better bass and the mid range is better. The A5s produce a larger soundstage and sound amazing. Someone called them “a poor man’s M3s.“ IMO the A5s compare very close to the Magico S5s (but I’d opt for the S5s if the price is attainable) …

Last I spoke to him, our dealer, Tony at Ellington HiFI, presently has a set of A5s in stock.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Never heard Magico speakers, before the A3 they were out of my comfort zone $$$. I’ll say that I went to a shop that carried Dynaudio and Magico to demo the C60’s and connected to the progression components they sounded really good, really good. After I was allowed to listen to 3-4 songs the shop owner/manager idk asked if there was anything else? I asked him why he wasn’t pitching the Danes I clearly liked and he replied “Magico will be coming out with a speaker to compete at this price(A3) in a few months and I don’t want you coming back to me angry.

You would think I‘d have found a way to listen to a pair by now .

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
Never heard Magico speakers, before the A3 they were out of my comfort zone $$$. I’ll say that I went to a shop that carried Dynaudio and Magico to demo the C60’s and connected to the progression components they sounded really good, really good. After I was allowed to listen to 3-4 songs the shop owner/manager idk asked if there was anything else? I asked him why he wasn’t pitching the Danes I clearly liked and he replied “Magico will be coming out with a speaker to compete at this price(A3) in a few months and I don’t want you coming back to me angry.

So Magico maybe coming up with A3 variant that is better priced?
A5’s are incredible. For me, I needed to rethink fully sealed speaker. The bass it provides is awesome. Follows every bass note. Before my old B&W’s just had somewhat bloated bass and never had the bass extension the A5’s have.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada

So I was travelling in Singapore in March 2019 and A3 might have been released for a few months? The Magico dealer there told me that he simply could not keep them in stock to demo. But he told me that if I like the S series sound and have been saving up for it, I should just get the S series. Now comes 2022 when there is now a local Magico dealer and similarly, my dealer just couldn't keep A3 in stock. It's a great speaker in the right price range for audiophiles so it sells fast.

But the A5 really takes the series to another level. My dealer had the A5 and M2 on demo at the same time and while you can hear the improvements from the cabinet of the M2 with less diffraction and lower noise floor, the midrange and particularly the bass drivers of the A5 is superior with less distortion and more capacity for power handling. Hence, it's no surprise that A5 drivers are moving to the S3 2023. My guess is that it'll probably move to either a new M3 Mk II too or if they want to keep the M3 form factor for people who want smaller speakers, maybe an M5.

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
Add to your post A5’s have the new crossover. A5’s are rated to handle 1,000 watts. I’m running Bryston 28B3 and really great sound levels can be attained. They can drive 4ohm loads right up to 1,800 watts. No idea what they can deliver when they drop down to almost 2ohms. Guessing not much more, but never needed to push that hard.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Hence, it's no surprise that A5 drivers are moving to the S3 2023. My guess is that it'll probably move to either a new M3 Mk II too or if they want to keep the M3 form factor for people who want smaller speakers, maybe an M5.
New S series drives are supposed to be even better. Exciting!

Reactions: ICUToo

avian

Oct 17, 2020
To those that have been through the new A5 break in period, what were the biggest changes after break in? I've got a fresh pair here, first few hours the bass seems really out of whack, as in bloated and lumpy, and the mids a bit veiled. Do these things tend to improve?

I'm thinking these things could even be amp related, will experiment with amps a bit later, but just after general info on how they changed in the first say 100 hours.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
To those that have been through the new A5 break in period, what were the biggest changes after break in? I've got a fresh pair here, first few hours the bass seems really out of whack, as in bloated and lumpy, and the mids a bit veiled. Do these things tend to improve?

I'm thinking these things could even be amp related, will experiment with amps a bit later, but just after general info on how they changed in the first say 100 hours.
I have an S3 MII driven by a Gryphon Diablo 300, and I believe your experience will be similar to mine. Yes, the bass will get sloppy at times, the improvement will not be linear, more like better to worse to better. I believe Magico explains this saying that the bass drivers, due to their positioning in the enclosure, will break in at different rates. For me the first 250 hours were where most of the drama was, with still noticeable improvement to 500 hours, and IMO slight refinements beyond.

Last edited:

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022

I got my A5’s in September and ran them everyday but not really loud. For me at first the bass was just not there, or at least had not much extension and impact. Highs and mids sounded great.
It took to about end of December to break in the bass.

I waited 9 months to take delivery and then waited another full 3 full months. Wow, bass is fully dialed in! As days go on breaking them in, they did get better along the way.

Patience

Reactions: CKKeung

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
250 hours to stabilize. Playing at listening SPL, not just low-level FM or pink noise. I also use Purist Audio burn in cd, at a moderate to high level (carefully - not too high), when I can. It seems to speed things up.

Last edited:

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
250h to stabilize. Playing at listening SPL, not just low-level FM or pink noise. I also use Purist Audio burn in cd, at a moderate to high level (carefully - not too high), when I can. It seems to speed things up.
Never heard of that CD. I ran Tidal Flac most songs had good low end. I guess I ran mine way beyond 400 hrs before running good hi quality songs, yes with strong bass.

Then ran Sheffield drum tracks. My wife really likes them, not, Lol. Played when she was out. Btw, best I’ve ever heard these drum tracks. A5’s follow the drums and cymbals with ease! No sub, straight through two channel.

“The Sheffield Drum and Track Record“ on CD and Tidal
Try Ron Tutt’s track.

I run my A5’s in my HT and have the matching AAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryD

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Yep, agree with the posters above- mid and treble were fine for me out of the box. It is a very UNcoloured speaker.
Bass took more than a few days to come in, genuine break-in, plus a few days for my ears to get used to it (pseudo-break-in!)

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

avian

Oct 17, 2020
Yep, agree with the posters above- mid and treble were fine for me out of the box. It is a very UNcoloured speaker.
Bass took more than a few days to come in, genuine break-in, plus a few days for my ears to get used to it (pseudo-break-in!)

What about mid-bass? thats where my issues are at the moment, certain frequencies just seem far more prominent than they should be, making the whole thing almost sound boxy or ported.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What about mid-bass? thats where my issues are at the moment, certain frequencies just seem far more prominent than they should be, making the whole thing almost sound boxy or ported.

Did you audition this before buying? Is this a problem you heard in your room or also where you auditioned?

Reactions: avian

avian

Oct 17, 2020
Did you audition this before buying? Is this a problem you heard in your room or also where you auditioned?

I cant really answer without going into a long diatribe. But they are new and currently in a friends setup, I'm letting him lend them and break them in as I organise amps for myself. Currently not running on any equipment or the room they will ultimately be in. There are way too many variables involved, which is why I'm curious if mid-bass changed for people during break-in. I'm leaning toward his amp being to blame.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I cant really answer without going into a long diatribe. But they are new and currently in a friends setup, I'm letting him lend them and break them in as I organise amps for myself. Currently not running on any equipment or the room they will ultimately be in. There are way too many variables involved, which is why I'm curious if mid-bass changed for people during break-in. I'm leaning toward his amp being to blame.

What I meant to ask was did you ever hear these speakers where you thought the midbass was fine

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
Re: amps
Look at the reviews on Magico and amp suggestions. They tend to use very good amps that drive down to 2ohm. A5’s will drop to that in the upper bass region.
I‘m running mine with Bryston 28B3 mono blocks. Never had any issues with mid bass.
Here’s another good review, amps they used and compares with A3’s:
Sure you will get sound out of them with a good AVR, although will not bring them life.

Reactions: avian

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
I have a pair of Magico A5 speakers and considering adding a pair of subs. What subs did you use in your rig?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing