Magico M7 2023

Reactions: ecwl
With the XVX approaching 370K (2024 pricing I am told), I have to imagine M7 is going to pitch nearby...I am guessing slightly higher.

Lloyd, I have no doubt it will be priced close to the XVX.
As we know, in high end, the retail cost really doesn't relate to how much it costs to manufacture.

Hmm... While I do think there is some truth to your statements, I don't think everything can be simplified into generic statements.

Another way to think about it is this. It's free market capitalism. If it's so easy to manufacture Magico speakers and still make a huge profit at a lower price point with increased sales volumes, there is nothing to stop an entrepreneur to start a new speaker business and start building speakers with diamond coated beryllium tweeters, graphene drivers with aluminum honeycomb and carbon fibre and aluminum enclosures and undercut Magico in pricing and make a lot of money.

I like encouraging everybody who thinks things are overpriced to get into business and benefit the world by producing lower priced products and benefit themselves with the profits they believe they can still generate.
I can appreciate how making speaker cones out of exotic materials can help justify exotic prices, but does such improve the sound quality equivalently? I suspect those who have spent the equivalent of a starter home on a pair of these will say yes, but what about those of you who haven’t but have heard them? Personally, after heading down that path to a far more limited degree (Thrax Lyra’s with magnesium cones), I have gone totally old school with a used pair of Altec A7’s (paper cones) costing, after all my modifications, around £5000.00 and my LP playback rig has never sounded better.

I can appreciate how making speaker cones out of exotic materials can help justify exotic prices, but does such improve the sound quality equivalently? I suspect those who have spent the equivalent of a starter home on a pair of these will say yes, but what about those of you who haven’t but have heard them? Personally, after heading down that path to a far more limited degree (Thrax Lyra’s with magnesium cones), I have gone totally old school with a used pair of Altec A7’s (paper cones) costing, after all my modifications, around £5000.00 and my LP playback rig has never sounded better.
Hi end speakers give you the last 1%
That obviously costs a lot

most of the speakers discussed on this thread I would need 99.99 percent more from

That 1% improvement, if real, only those in the top 1% in wealth terms can buy. I suppose buying these helps one believe they are a member of that 1% (whether or not the speakers actually are 1% better than the rest).

That 1% improvement, if real, only those in the top 1% in wealth terms can buy. I suppose buying these helps one believe they are a member of that 1% (whether or not the speakers actually are 1% better than the rest).
Well I'm on What'sthebestforum
$350K speakers here are considered low end ;)
I probably can't even afford the crates M7 comes in
I just enjoy obsessing

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin
Well I'm on What'sthebestforum
$350K speakers here are considered low end ;)
I probably can't even afford the crates M7 comes in
I just enjoy obsessing

Welcome to the world of overpriced high end.
Wilson sell a really cool jack that allows one to easily lift huge heavy speakers so you can remove the wheels and put on spikes.
They charge $1100 direct, so no dealer margin, just creme for Wilson, where you can buy without the Wilson badge for $239

Wilson sell a really cool jack that allows one to easily lift huge heavy speakers so you can remove the wheels and put on spikes.
They charge $1100 direct, so no dealer margin, just creme for Wilson, where you can buy without the Wilson badge for $239

I found the same one or very similar for my extremely heavy turntable. It cost even less. I found it on Amazon. It works wonders. There is nothing like a great tool.

Some may never like the M7, inherently, or because of the amps needed to drive them. For that money, some might suggest an Altec or Diatone with a sublime SET. Now you are getting into tastes and goals.
The question is , can you really get the same SOTA performance of these ultra hi end speakers in speakers that cost $50K or less(for example ).

The question is , can you really get the same SOTA performance of these ultra hi end speakers in speakers that cost $50K or less(for example ).

It depends on what you mean my SOTA performance. Some simply do not like the presentation of the M9 or WAMM/XVX. Others do. There are alternatives. Cost does not guarantee state of the art performance. The M7 may or may not deliver it to some listeners. They will likely require certain types of amps to drive them properly, and that may be a deal killer. I have no idea, but you imply some kind of standard, and I am not so sure.

If you remove cost and simply ask people what they would want to live with, I suspect answers would vary greatly.

In my opinion that says a lot about Wilson Audio and how they view their customers. I guess the idea is that the Wilson badge makes it $861 special.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing