Magico M7 2023

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I found the same one or very similar for my extremely heavy turntable. It cost even less. I found it on Amazon.
I know I’m going way OT here, but Peter could you provide a link to this?

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
I can appreciate how making speaker cones out of exotic materials can help justify exotic prices, but does such improve the sound quality equivalently?
I recall this Vandersteen Audio video (See Why Pistonic Driver Cones Matter) from several years ago that specifically shows how cone material can influence the distortion of a driver. The use of lighter and stiffer material that is more pistonic can have a measurable improvement, and someone claiming this selling point should be able to show you the data.

Reactions: AudioGod

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I recall this Vandersteen Audio video (See Why Pistonic Driver Cones Matter) from several years ago that specifically shows how cone material can influence the distortion of a driver. The use of lighter and stiffer material that is more pistonic can have a measurable improvement, and someone claiming this selling point should be able to show you the data.

Yes, and a 15 inch paper cone without a foam surround that is light and needs a couple watts may sound more realistic. I think there are a lot of factors involved with the final sound.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Reactions: christoph

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
That 1% improvement, if real, only those in the top 1% in wealth terms can buy. I suppose buying these helps one believe they are a member of that 1% (whether or not the speakers actually are 1% better than the rest).

The question is: can they hear it?

From what I read here, sonic assessment and wealth rarely correlate.

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
It depends on what you mean my SOTA performance. Some simply do not like the presentation of the M9 or WAMM/XVX. Others do. There are alternatives. Cost does not guarantee state of the art performance. The M7 may or may not deliver it to some listeners. They will likely require certain types of amps to drive them properly, and that may be a deal killer. I have no idea, but you imply some kind of standard, and I am not so sure.

If you remove cost and simply ask people what they would want to live with, I suspect answers would vary greatly.
I think this is 100% on target, Peter. If you like the Magico sound the M7 may be one step removed from perfection. But if you don't it may be $350k for two steps further into irrelevancy. There are lots of less expensive speakers many may view as better, or at least more desirable to them, at lower price points.

One thing is for certain, however. When the M7 is reviewed the editor's at your favorite magazines will go ga-ga over it, and declare it a new standard, this and that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
One thing is for certain, however. When the M7 is reviewed the editor's at your favorite magazines will go ga-ga over it, and declare it a new standard, this and that.

This will surely be the case. I really enjoyed the Magico Q3 that I owned it for about five years and the Magico mini 2 which I owned for about eight years. I was fascinated by the computer generated images of their construction and interiors. I actually thought they were very good looking. I have a friend who owns an M pro and it sounds excellent. I’m curious to learn a bit more about the M7.

Reactions: ctydwn and AudioGod

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
How do Magico speakers measure in comparison to Wilson Audio speakers ?
Stereophile Magico measurements start at the bottom of page 16 of their speaker reviews. The Wilson measurements start on page 34. (As of the time of this posting.) SoundStage! Network Magico and Wilson measurements can both be found on their speaker measurements page.

Of course not everything is captured in these measurements, but they're definitely informative. The Stereophile measurements are also done in varying environments, and you need to take that into account. Versus the SoundStage! measurements that all occur in Canada's National Research Council's anechoic chamber.

With respect to cone materials mentioned earlier, I've held both the foam core and aluminum-honeycomb core Magico cones and physically experienced the difference in strength, mass, and stiffness. I've also seen the measurements. Of course, I've also heard the difference (easiest comparison being the A5 versus the A3). From an objective goal of ideal sound reproduction—assuming all other things being equal—the aluminum-honeycomb driver is a measurable and audible improvement.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
This image was still on my FB page
View attachment 119042
Looks to have more in common with the lines of the M6 than the M9, and perhaps more striking than either of them. Must weigh a LOT as it appears to be a single piece, which is too bad, because my listening room is downstairs from the entry level of my house. Getting the MPros down those stairs was a sketchy proposition as it was, at 400lbs each plus the weight of the crate. On the other hand, think how much money I just saved

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Rumor is the price is $375K
This time Big Jay is right.
M7 being 2x the price of M6, the expectation is very high.
It has better to be a scaled-down M9 and NOT an improved M6.

I have full confidence in Alon Wolf.

Reactions: AudioGod

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I like the look a lot, except the chrome base piece which seems a bit tacky to my taste, with too much contrast to the elegantly reserved look of the speaker. Maybe they have a black version.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing