Magico M7 2023

Reactions: AudioGod
let me know where you find one. I'm interested!
Lol
There will be a lot of people switching from XVX to M7
Audiophiles always want the latest and greatest
And to me the M7 are much more modern looking and their drivers feel more advanced to me.

Sometimes bigger woofers that may move less and work less actually result in more resolution and delicate sound with more nuance and realism.
It's a complicated question. Woofer experts feel differently in both directions.

Reactions: ScottK and AudioGod
I won't be surprised if I'll see many second hand XVXs for sale soon ;)

When you dig into the details the design philosophies really are quite different:

-- exotic driver materials versus mostly paper drivers

-- diamond vapor deposited beryllium tweeter versus soft dome tweeter

-- biggest drivers in the bottom of the cabinet versus big drivers distributed top and bottom

Lol
And to me the M7 are much more modern looking and their drivers feel more advanced to me.
How do the drivers "feel" more advanced? Will folks who own Kharma, Rockport, Vandersteen, etc want to also change? Clearly you're not a Wilson fan and that's fine. I have never understood the need to put down Wilson. It may not be your cup of tea but there are many who love the brand. I own the Magico A-5's in a second system. They sound great. I prefer Wilson as I've always admired how well they image brought about by the adjustable speaker modules which can tailor to any seating position.

Reactions: adyc and ashandger
How do the drivers "feel" more advanced? Will folks who own Kharma, Rockport, Vandersteen, etc want to also change? Clearly you're not a Wilson fan and that's fine. I have never understood the need to put down Wilson. It may not be your cup of tea but there are many who love the brand. I own the Magico A-5's in a second system. They sound great. I prefer Wilson as I've always admired how well they image brought about by the adjustable speaker modules which can tailor to any seating position.
I'm not putting down Wilson
I'm just saying Magico used more advanced and exotic materials like Ron said .
And I prefer the more modern look of the Magico cabinet
Is there a chance I'll like Wilson's sound more than Magico's?
Definitely

Lol

Don't forget about the Divin Majestic -- a serious competitor to both of these loudspeakers with a significantly different design philosophy.

It's a complicated question. Woofer experts feel differently in both directions.

I have read the arguments. Bigger and heavier new drivers mean slower, more sluggish. Smaller drivers with massive magnets can seem faster more nimble. On the other hand, a large, light, paper woofer can have incredible bass resolution, nuance and speed, while a smaller one has to work harder and move further, slowing response time. I do not think it is very complicated. I think it is about implementation of well known physical properties. Then there are the number of drivers and how they are loaded. Of course, I am no designer. I have just lived with both approaches and have an opinion. Form factor/aesthetics, and price point also factor in.

Do people switch from one brand to the other?
That's an interesting question. One of the reasons I bought the A-5 was to "hear" and spend time with a different design that many folks admire. Yet in my main system I replaced Wilson for Wilson. Ultimately I've never thought there was one perfect speaker for me. I could comfortably live with any of the top tier brands.

• Haha
Reactions: AudioGod
Yes
I think he meant more advanced materials
Reminds me of a Woody Allen movie where a guy was explaining what Marshall McLuhan said while McLuhan happened to be actually standing behind him. "that's not what I said" he replied.

Reminds me of a Woody Allen movie where a guy was explaining what Marshall McLuhan said while McLuhan happened to be actually standing behind him. "that's not what I said" he replied.
Lol
Ask him then what he meant
That's how I understood his comment
I could be wrong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing