Martin-Logan Owners

roberto

Greg. when i am saying, digital sound, is when the source of the sound comes from a digital device, like DACs, DVDs, CD players... When I say analogue sound, it is when the sound is coming from the source of an analogue device, like turntables. cassettes, reel to reels., etc. Of course all sounds are analogue! I understand your point, please understand mine.

Happy listening!

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I know you understand. It is just that your conclusion is inconsistent with your argument. In my opinion of course.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
If you find yourself tapping the floor with your foot, this means that you are OK. Beware when this does not happens.

Happy listening!
That is what a Linn turntable does so well, makes you into a toe tapper.

Most high end digital I've heard is big and boastful, like a braggart trying to impress with gold watches and fancy cars. Like there is an act of distraction or fraud happening and I'm the hapless mark powerless to do anything about it.

Taken for a ride, and not in control of it.

This is just an emotional reaction, and I wish it just would not happen.

roberto

Hola Greg,
This is what I am having with my new DAC Exasound E-32. I found myself tapping the floor along with the music rhythm. Its another way to listen to the music. And believe me, it is very good too.

My conclusion is inconsistent with my argument? I do not follow you here...I am using more digital files than LPs on these days. I am really enjoying their musicality capability too. The stage presentation is as good as the turntables, and offers better separation and size of the musical instruments. These are my findings. The Zero Jitter achieved by Mr. George Klissarov is one of the thing that I really like of this device. I am very sensible to harsh or sibilant sound, with this unit, I do not have any of that. Its one of the features that I really like a lot. The other feature that I do like a lot is its musicality. It if free of ugly crap built inn in other DACs, it is clean, transparent, giving the right energy to the musical notes. The timbre is fantastic...try it, you might like it as I do. You have to use it along the Lush cable, the Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply and a macpro. This is what I have.

Happy listening!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Roberto there are two questions.
Is a digital file musical?
Is a digotal file better than analog?
You alternate between the two.

I recently recommended DAC based system as the best under $ 10k system I have ever heard.
I still think vinyl is better

roberto

Roberto there are two questions.
Is a digital file musical?
Is a digotal file better than analog?
You alternate between the two.

I recently recommended DAC based system as the best under $ 10k system I have ever heard.
I still think vinyl is better

roberto

What is better? Both media have their issues. Don't tell me that analogue is perfect, you do know it is not. And digital has walked forward for better, where I put two songs, one at my Linn LP-12 with a MC cartridge Denon DL-103R and my dac. Adjusting the level equal, using a SPLM. Having both at the same time, and just switching between them, most of my friends, can not tell a difference...usually they choose the digital side, does this tells you something?

I said that I do like both media, this does not make me to be on either side. Right now, due to the easy way to switch between recordings and songs, I am listening more my dac. What I am telling you is to open your ears now, digital is not that bad that you keep saying. The format is not 44.1Hz @ 16bits, it is at 11. 28MHz @ 32 bits. I am not playing any CD. I can play with DSD, the files just out of the recording console, no compression, no equ, no filters, no down a thing in conversion the audio signal. I am going to take a pic where you can see the sampling frequency of the signal and the output...

Happy listening!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hola Greg,
This is what I am having with my new DAC Exasound E-32. I found myself tapping the floor along with the music rhythm. Its another way to listen to the music. And believe me, it is very good too.

My conclusion is inconsistent with my argument? I do not follow you here...I am using more digital files than LPs on these days. I am really enjoying their musicality capability too. The stage presentation is as good as the turntables, and offers better separation and size of the musical instruments. These are my findings. The Zero Jitter achieved by Mr. George Klissarov is one of the thing that I really like of this device. I am very sensible to harsh or sibilant sound, with this unit, I do not have any of that. Its one of the features that I really like a lot. The other feature that I do like a lot is its musicality. It if free of ugly crap built inn in other DACs, it is clean, transparent, giving the right energy to the musical notes. The timbre is fantastic...try it, you might like it as I do. You have to use it along the Lush cable, the Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply and a macpro. This is what I have.

Happy listening!

Do you not perceive a slightly greater sense of transparency and in-the-room presence with analog than with digital?

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Gregadd,
I am neither facetious nor sarcastic. Clearly Roberto is a passionate and earnest fellow and his feelings resonate with me.

A humble suggestion: Please check your spell-check.

It's all about the music, ultimately, is it not? I've come to appreciate digital playback after decades of being a analogue music lover. I have learned much over the years. I hope to keep on learning.

Last edited:

roberto

No sir...both are almost equal...same timbre with the instruments. Before, this comparison was like night and day, and of course analogue was the clear winner. Right now, it is difficult...both are working and sounding beautifully. Believe me, it is difficult to tell. My system is giving only love. With the Conrad Johnson, the warmth and the sense of realism of the musical instruments is very good. Please, understand that I am not selling anything, just commenting my experience with this DAC, power supply Uptone Audio JS-2, the Lush USB cable and the MacPro with barrel shape, now it is discontinued. This Mac has a better signal to noise ratio over the Mac mini for -14dB. It is recommended for small recording studios.

All what I wanted is to shared with you this...you have the wiling to try it or not. I am very happy with this.

Happy listening!

roberto

Here is what HQ Player reports of the input file. The sampling frequency is 11MHz...right where it says format.

Attachments

• IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    571.9 KB · Views: 8

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
I would also like to say that I love my venerable, upgraded Linn LP12, original Ittok with HANA LO cart, and have finally reached the point where I can enjoy both analog and digital playback, understanding there are differences. The fragility of vinyl still haunts me, but I think I've come to grips with that issue.

roberto

I have another history to tell. Not so far from me, lives a friend who has the Avangarde speakers. He is pro-analogue too. I told him what I have and how happy I am, and he said, come over and bring your dac with all what I need. Same thing happened. The overall sound of both was almost identical, digital was a little better with his system, and he was shocked! He thought that I was going to get it, but I did not. I do not believe much in passing PCM to DSD, there is a small difference in echoes, ambience with DSD. The natural decay of the musical notes were very impressive too.

Happy listening!

Reactions: Gregadd

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I ran original CLS for over a decade before going to Prodigy. Here are a couple pics.

Absolutely incredible imaging and soundstage. A difficult load and placement is critial but when dialed in they are sublime.

Add dynamic range to a CLS and you get Prodigy. The open airy sound I love with speed and a bottom end to make it live.
Looks awesome ! Beautiful setup !

All the best

/ Jk

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Add dynamic range to a CLS and you get Prodigy. The open airy sound I love with speed and a bottom end to make it live.

I agree completely. CLS/CLX never worked for me, but I loved the Prodigys for 18 years.

(But you gotta pull them several feet into the room!)

Reactions: Johan K

Mister Pig

Oct 13, 2016
When I was a young college student a high end store opened in Tacoma WA. The owner Curtis was kind enough to let a broke college kid listen to stuff when the place was not busy. I heard Celestion, Vandersteens, Angstrom, and Spica.

But my favorites were Apogees and Martin Logan CLS panels. I schemed on how I could save for a pair but in my heart I knew I could never afford the amps to run them. So one day Curtis sold me a pair of Spica TC50 at cost since he was closing the line out. In the next town o er I found a pro sound shop that had this lonely Spica Servo sub. That was my speaker system for a number of years.

Last year my system went through a revision when one of my AVM monoblocks croaked. I bought a pair of Classe Omega monoblocks, and Trinov Amethyst preamp. I had owned my JBL 4365 for 7 years, and I had these monster 500 wpc amps that could output 2000 wpc at 2 ohms. I remembered my CLA days...

On USAM I came across a set of pristine CLX ART and the seller and I worked out the deal to get them truck freighted to Washington.

Lovely speakers that are demanding in set up and associated equipment. These are truth tellers and do not suffer owners who cannot commit to this project.

It is a long term commitment to set these up and I am making progress. The music is mesmerizing and so far I am glad to have taken this path. I have more to learn, and I look forward to where this journey takes me.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
When I was a young college student a high end store opened in Tacoma WA. The owner Curtis was kind enough to let a broke college kid listen to stuff when the place was not busy. I heard Celestion, Vandersteens, Angstrom, and Spica.

But my favorites were Apogees and Martin Logan CLS panels. I schemed on how I could save for a pair but in my heart I knew I could never afford the amps to run them. So one day Curtis sold me a pair of Spica TC50 at cost since he was closing the line out. In the next town o er I found a pro sound shop that had this lonely Spica Servo sub. That was my speaker system for a number of years.

Last year my system went through a revision when one of my AVM monoblocks croaked. I bought a pair of Classe Omega monoblocks, and Trinov Amethyst preamp. I had owned my JBL 4365 for 7 years, and I had these monster 500 wpc amps that could output 2000 wpc at 2 ohms. I remembered my CLA days...

On USAM I came across a set of pristine CLX ART and the seller and I worked out the deal to get them truck freighted to Washington.

Lovely speakers that are demanding in set up and associated equipment. These are truth tellers and do not suffer owners who cannot commit to this project.

It is a long term commitment to set these up and I am making progress. The music is mesmerizing and so far I am glad to have taken this path. I have more to learn, and I look forward to where this journey takes me.
Hi Mister Pig,

If possible - try to get a pair of the M-L Balanced Force 210 or the BF-212… they will be a perfect match for your fine CLX ART.

I have a few in my system myself… can’t emphasize enough how great these subwoofers are… ;) !

/ Jk

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I agree completely. CLS/CLX never worked for me, but I loved the Prodigys for 18 years.

(But you gotta pull them several feet into the room!)
But ML speakers can't be placed more than those "several feet" into the room. The distance should be about 4 to 6 feet in order to harvest some of the 50% of their energy that is projected backwards. Too far and this important reflected sound is lost - too close and it's messed up.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
But ML speakers can't be placed more than those "several feet" into the room. The distance should be about 4 to 6 feet in order to harvest some of the 50% of their energy that is projected backwards. Too far and this important reflected sound is lost - too close and it's messed up.
Totally agree on this! I have about 3,75 feet from the front wall to the back side of my ReQuest ESL panels. It’s enough to push the speakers 1-2 inch in any direction to completely loose the soundstage.. That’s how critical the placing of my ReQuests are in this particular room. I was almost going insane when I sat them up here, because I had a hard time finding this critical point. Where I choosed to have my listening position was also very critical as I was aiming for a certain sound I like.. So very many parameters to count for, to get that powerfull sound out of the Martin Logans. Many times I’ve heard the M-L at hifishows… and 99,9 % of the time, they have sounded weak, as they were placed too far into the show rooms, with no ”help” (so to speak) from the front wall. In some cases they have tried to compensate this with subwoofers, and have it even more screwed up. In my opinion, the Martin-Logans are no childs play to set up, if you really want them to sing. However … if you find that spot.. that critical super spot.. -the Martin Logans will get your knees go jelly? :D !!!

/ Jk

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The Statements E2 have adjustability in the crossovers for better mid-bass and deep- bass integration. But the recommended placement for stat towers is still 5-7 feet from front wall. :)

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing