PHOTO-2018-11-24-11-40-49.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PHOTO-2018-11-24-11-42-49.jpg
    PHOTO-2018-11-24-11-42-49.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 25

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I know you're not a fan of rhodium plating, but the truth is the base material and the quality of the plating make a massive difference.

The standard connectors you had replaced are NOT Furutech. The objections you have to the sound of the plugs have NOTHING to do with Furutech plugs or how they might sound.

Dave, according to MB, they are indeed Furutech XLRs OEM'd for MB. Totally agree with you about base metals and quality of plating. Not sure I want to try and figure out all the possible permutations of these that are out there. The Bocchinos are quite satisfactory. I have other places that call attention to my OCD! :rolleyes:
Marty

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
This are rica in copper 7N Platinum plated

That is the B3 model - 10cm long and @5 oz per plug. The locking ring exerts so much torque that it is capable of crushing a pcb mounted rca jack. Luckily the grip is still very tight without it and the ‘junior’ B33 model offers a more practical and better priced proposition.

Attachments

• FA28F08A-3398-4B8B-A0ED-B8CE3A15A4DB.jpeg
    FA28F08A-3398-4B8B-A0ED-B8CE3A15A4DB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thank you, Marty, for this very interesting and important report! I am glad you are finally at peace with your Masterbuilt Ultra interconnects!

As I am on the verge of ordering some Masterbuilt Ultra speaker cables and Ultra interconnects I somehow will have to make a decision on the XLR connectors.

Marty, did the Masterbuilt people balk at having to attach the Bocchinos, or are they connector agnostic and happy to indulge custom customer connector requests?

Did you send the Bocchinos to Masterbuilt or did Masterbuilt acquire the BAXLR connectors themselves?

How would you suggest someone go about choosing between the gold Furutechs and the silver Bocchinos?

Is there anything you are able to report about your comparisons between the MB Ultra interconnects with gold Furutechs or silver Bocchinos and other interconnects you may have in your cable inventory?

Perhaps Leif can tell us if you are the first person to have asked Masterbuilt to use Bocchino XLRs, or if others have also requested Bocchinos?

Hi Ron,

Marty is indeed the first to request different XLR connectors. To my knowledge, everyone else has been very pleased with the original connectors. But it makes me happy that Marty is pleased with final product. I know MasterBuilt had to modify the Bocchino XLR connectors to allow for the amount of conductors used in the Ultra.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I know MasterBuilt had to modify the Bocchino XLR connectors to allow for the amount of conductors used in the Ultra.

Am surprised to hear that Leif as the Bocch xlr accomodate @10awg / 5mm sq, which is power cord level for many.

Reactions: Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Am surprised to hear that Leif as the Bocch xlr accomodate @10awg / 5mm sq, which is power cord level for many.
MasterBuilt told me they had to actually cut the back part of the plug so they fit. But I have never seen the the conductors for the Ultra XLR.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, according to MB, they are indeed Furutech XLRs OEM'd for MB. Totally agree with you about base metals and quality of plating. Not sure I want to try and figure out all the possible permutations of these that are out there. The Bocchinos are quite satisfactory. I have other places that call attention to my OCD! :rolleyes:
Marty

Ok, well I just want point out they are NOT Furutech CF-601 or CF-602 XLR Plugs, therefore your experience with whatever MB uses does not translate to the CF-601/602 that I use. I don't find them to have the same issues you do.

http://www.furutech.com/2013/01/27/1081/

https://www.masterbuiltaudio.com/ultra-line-audio-cables?lightbox=dataItem-ipkb97og

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Just to show the size differential of the B9 vs CF601/2 XLR'S..
IMG_20181217_180419.jpg

Reactions: Ron Resnick

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
They are not the CF's Dave. We tried the CF's and prefer the OEM plugs better. Notice the hollow pins.

Right. They are significantly different. Not the same conductors, not the same housing, a completely different plug seemingly unrelated to any other plug they make.

I just don't feel like the Furutech CF series XLRs has the same kind of issues Marty is reporting and IMO the gold plated Furutech XLRs are a significant downgrade. Notice Furutech doesn't offer the CF plugs in gold, only rhodium.

I don't see anyone else making the same comments about the rhodium plated Furutech plugs that Marty does, in fact not even close, so I want to make sure people know that this isn't a typical experience... and they aren't the same plug vs the CF series in any case.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Dave,
Marty's experience is what it is, and not typical for all Rhodium plated contacts, though we are all aware that Rhodium can be quite devisive in respect to what it does to the sound. However, the Bocchino are the best sounding audio interconnect terminals I have used, my 2nd are the Furutech.

Saying that though, for an 18k cable, I would have designed and produced the connectors specifically to match the conductors.

Rgds,
Paul

Reactions: marmota and bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Saying that though, for an 18k cable, I would have designed and produced the connectors specifically to match the conductors.

Rgds,
Paul

+1

The connectors should be "super conductors" as well, intuitively speaking. Though it sounds like the final design is based on a high degree of subjectivity and seems to have been successful.

Reactions: marmota

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Dave,
I'm pretty sure that my reterminated gold XLRs use the FP701 and 702 Furutech XLR connectors.. Leif can confirm if he wishes. Sorry, but statements like "not even close" are hyperbole to me. Did you really compare the Furu gold connectors to the Furu rhodiums with the connector change as the only variable in an otherwise identical system with the same exact music sources used for comparison? If so, I extend my congratulations because that is serious work. If not, there is still no wrong here. You and many others prefer the MB rhodium connectors. I do not. We all do what we need to do to maximize our musical enjoyment. BTW I think Bocchino also makes a platinum plated silver plate over copper XLR but I have no interest in trying those as the "standard" Bocchino silver XLRs are quite satisfactory. Happy listening to all.
Marty

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave,
I'm pretty sure that my reterminated gold XLRs use the FP701 and 702 Furutech XLR connectors.. Leif can confirm if he wishes. Sorry, but statements like "not even close" are hyperbole to me. Did you really compare the Furu gold connectors to the Furu rhodiums with the connector change as the only variable in an otherwise identical system with the same exact music sources used for comparison? If so, I extend my congratulations because that is serious work. If not, there is still no wrong here. You and many others prefer the MB rhodium connectors. I do not. We all do what we need to do to maximize our musical enjoyment. BTW I think Bocchino also makes a platinum plated silver plate over copper XLR but I have no interest in trying those as the "standard" Bocchino silver XLRs are is quite satisfactory. Happy listening to all.
Marty

No problem, I'm just a little surprised to hear your results! I have compared the Furutech FP-700s in gold and rhodium and the CF-600s as you describe, yes, and in more than one system... it's my job! ;)

I think the CFs stand out as the best, the stainless/carbon body makes a significant difference vs the brass body of the FP-700s. The guts are exactly the same, so it's a very interesting comparison! As far as gold vs rhodium FP-700s I find the gold plating makes the sound warmer, which can be good or bad, but it decreases resolution vs rhodium. Classic warmth vs detail tradeoff...

Also it sounds like Leif is saying others haven't had issue with the rhodium XLR plugs used in MB cables. Even though they different plugs and may sound different, I've found the same with the Furutech CF XLR plugs. Now, I do think rhodium can sound aggressive used over some brass base materials, or perhaps it was a lower quality rhodium plating, but that is what has given rhodium it's bad rep... I do think there is some undeserved negative reputation that rhodium plating receives and want to balance that out a bit. But I agree there is no wrong and totally understand your preference for gold as well. IME there are a lot of systems these days that can use a touch of warmth via cabling and power delivery.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That is the B3 model - 10cm long and @5 oz per plug. The locking ring exerts so much torque that it is capable of crushing a pcb mounted rca jack. Luckily the grip is still very tight without it and the ‘junior’ B33 model offers a more practical and better priced proposition.

Agree they exert so much torque especially if the cables attached to them are stiff and heavy. The long length of the connectors together with the weight of cables hanging would put so much stress on the equipment inlets they attached to. I avoid frequent pluggin in and out of equipment. If the cables are not heavy then no problem. It is a price of good sound.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Sablon Audio

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave,
Marty's experience is what it is, and not typical for all Rhodium plated contacts, though we are all aware that Rhodium can be quite devisive in respect to what it does to the sound. However, the Bocchino are the best sounding audio interconnect terminals I have used, my 2nd are the Furutech.

Rgds,
Paul

IMO, WBT are the best... platinum plated silver. But they don't make XLRs.

Marty's experience is an extreme outlier, and I've never heard anything like it from one of my own customers about my own cables.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
IMO, WBT are the best... platinum plated silver. But they don't make XLRs.

If we talk about phono cable, do you find the WBT rca connector has sonic advantages to others? Sonic aspect aside, I dont like the WBT rca connector for phono. I do a lot of plugging in and out. I dont find them as tightly securely connected as the others and the connector sleeve feels very filmsy and light. I took them apart and found internal configuration not very immaculate in design. Instead if you take apart the Acoustic Revive rca (I used to have picture but cant find it) you will find the design and made is very solid and well thought out. I cant confirm the model of both brands. Both Axiom and SAT phono cable uses WBT. My Kuro phono had Bocchinos gold and I actually sent them back to Emiliano. He replaced them with Acoustic Revive because I said it put too much stress on my SME arm. My Bocchino gold might be going to Gian now..hahaha.

I cant isolate the sound of connectors from cable and not willing to investigate. You are the cable guy and definitely have extensive experience with different parts and materials than 99% of people discussing here. Your comments has a lot of weight to me.

Sorry for off topic. This will be my last OT for this thread. :D

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The power cables I use have Furutech Fi 28r’s on them, having listened to the same cable with Fi 28g’s (gold), I much prefer the sound of the rhodium versions. The Fi28g’s are less expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing