Masterbuilt Ultras and Bocchino XLRs

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I use similar dimension rca. I wish they were fully sealed over the metal terminal. I find when force is applied to the terminal it over-strains the wire at the entry point into the terminal.
My wish confounds rca application for locking types that require turning.
Ah well you can’t have everything I guess.

What kind of shielding is deployed in your cable?
Shielding affects the sound. Only the MasterBuilt power cords use shielding because it is needed. MasterBuilt achieves shielding through their construction geometry.

Reactions: John57

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Given the cost we can no longer refer to Masterbiolt as cables. I suggest we refer to the as a "music interface"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm just glad I've finally gotten all the Ultras I need for my main system. It only took 3 years! Whew. I am living happily with the affordable lines in my two other systems.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm just glad I've finally gotten all the Ultras I need for my main system. It only took 3 years! Whew. I am living happily with the affordable lines in my two other systems.

It took me over 3 years to get all Ultra for my system as well. But as we all know these cables are "lifers"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That is equipment interface.

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have written extensively on WBF about building my Bucket List System under my moniker of Mobiusman, fulfilling a promise I made to myself at age 10 at a SF audio show with my dad, during a heaterd conversation/argument in the Marantz room we were in between Saul Marantz and Frank McIntosh. It was there that I first felt the emotion of love, in this case for the sound of realistic believeable audio. The promise was simple--I decided at that moment that audio would become my lifelong love and hobby, which In fact happened, going through many systems and building a custom designed listening room for dipoles. The promise was that as I approached retirement, when I presumed I would be the most flush with money, I would assemble the best system I could afford using whatever would be the current state of the art in audio, with two provisos:1) All the equipment for the system had to be paid for in full since I doubted I would have the money once retiring; and 2) I would try to stay within what I though was a reasonable budget (on that front I blew it and went over by a factor of 5)!!!!

Having retired 4/30/20, that was my drop dead date, well kind of because I upgraded my VAC Statement 450 amp to a pair of their new Statement 452''s after I retired . I always followed audio and have gone to many audio shows includng years of CES twice a year in Chicago and Las Vegas, plus other shows. About three years ago I started in earnest designing this ultimate system. The design stage went through a number of iterations with the help of Steve Williams, my long-term friend and co member of the Tres Amigos, including Marty, the third Amigo from this site, who has been an audio cohort of mine for more than 50 years.

Steve's and Marty's systems, plus my life of audio experimenting and learning and pushing the limits as far as I could afford at the time were all stimuli for this project. Steve suggested that I fly to southern CA and he and I would go on an audio tour to help me with determining my system design and goals. It was at that time that I became exposed to MasterBuilt Ultra cables in Steve's system and to some extent in parts of Marty's system. All three of us had experimented with many high end cables to "shape the sound" of our systems du jour, trying all of the usual names in high end cabling.

However, when I went to visit Steve for about a week more than three years ago, two things happened,: 1) I got to exstensively listen to his system which was largely cabled with MasterBuilt Ultra and he facilitated the connection with Von Schweikert Audio, worldwide distributors for MasterBuilt cables. Both of these factors played a critical role in the formation of My Bucket List System, which is based on VSA Ultra 9 speakers, which are internally wired with MasterBuilt Ultra wire, a full loom of MasterBuilt Ultra cabling throughout my entire system, VAC elecrontics for the core including a pair of the VAC Statement 452IQ Musicblocs, a Taiko Extreme connected to a MSB DAC via a MasterBuilt Ultra USB cable and a Bergmann Galder/Odin TT connected with MasterBuilt Ultra RCA's with Bocchino connectors to a VAC phone pre and again to my VAC preamp.

While Marty and Steve have similar MB cabling, I also have MB Ultra PC's throughout my system after I realized their contribuions at show killer systems from VSA, VAC, MB, The Audio Store and CMS. I am now very close friends with Damon Von Schweikert and Leif Swanson from VSA, and speak fairly frequently with Kevin Hayes form VAC Alex and Fabio from Alma Music where the Bergmann and MSB came from, Joe Lavrencik of CMS, and Emile Bok and Edward from Taiko Audio.

What makes this group synergistic is that they all strive for the lowest noise floor and go to great lengths regardless of time and money to reduce distortion at all points of the signal path . This is where the MB Ultra cabling is so critical because they are the purest and most neutral sounding cables and PC's I have ever heard due to their aerospace origins, allowing the great work of each of the components in my system to pass their outputs with a minimum of distortion while keeping the noise floor lower than most audiophiles can comprehend. Put simply, I could not have the ultra realistic "You Are There" sound that my system produces with all program material without the full loom of MB Ultra cables allowing the superb designs of each of the components to be minimally influenced as they communicate with each other.

Even as recently as yesterday, I had my Taiko Audio Extreme upgraded with the latest beta version of the TAS server, which uses some proprietary designs to minimize the influence of phonons, not a misspelling, which Emile, Wilson and Edward from Taiko realized degraded the signal path of digital transmission whether through fiber, silver or copper. What I am happy to say, is that the MasterBuilt Ultra cabling always reveals any improvement to my system because they are in use throughout and my system which is totally stable and broken in and isolated from mechanical vibrations in ways that no show system can ever be due to show conditions and time limitations.

Said another way, the MasterBuilt Ultra loom throughout my system is just as essential a component of my system as any of the other components that make up my incredibly realistic sounding system. It simply would sound not anywhere as good without them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing