Member Signatures

That is a bit wild Tim... I said today to a friend that it is also the gravity of things and not the just light that binds us together. Having a bit of a deep and meaningful mo here... promise it’s my last.

Reactions: tima
This is a very intimidating system, because I prefer Devore Orangutans much more than the likes of many expensive hifi cones like Wilson, Magico, etc. ....

Ah yes, The Amazing Bonzo Alembic - its alchemy turns a discusion of just about anything (here, forum signatures) into one about horns and sets.

Reactions: Bobvin
Ah yes, The Amazing Bonzo Alembic - its alchemy turns a discusion of just about anything (here, forum signatures) into one about horns and sets.

Devore is not a horn. But yes it is about staying on the natural axis as opposed to an artificial sound. I am not surprised that Caelin replaced his Sasha over 5 years ago with devore orangutans and has been happy since (he also added PAP and horns).

Personally I prefer the option to not see signatures unless required. On some forums signatures starting growing huge, and there would be two lines of posts and then many lines of signature. With regular posters, these would appear every time and get irritating, as you got much less screen space on posts then on signatures. So an about link or the ability to rotate screen when required is ideal
I have to agree with Ked here

i find these lengthy signatures pretty tiresome
if anyone wants to know they can ask
also there can be a tendency to prejudge people without knowing their musical journey
oh your a Macintosh guy
your a tube guy
your digital woman
your a vinyl person etc
or worse... your a solid state individual ;) these a pathetic labels and cause divisiveness
i stopped putting mine up, because it felt pretentious to me, and I am not sure if I put mine up, anyone would understand where I was coming from, so I dropped mine, plus the explanation would be so lengthy the sun would have turned into a Red Giant by the time I finished

i am very happy where I am, I am not in any camp, and I don’t need others to validate my choices and decisions :)

Yes, the list of the equipment in the signature is extremely useful if kept at a reasonable size - 3 or 4 lines seems perfect. If people want more they should look elsewhere - the about or a link to my system.

how can anyone take seriously someone who like Taiko Kondo Wilson and Techdas

clearly they choose products either ending

in the letter o or with two syllables ;)

Reactions: microstrip
I have to agree with Ked here

i find these lengthy signatures pretty tiresome
if anyone wants to know they can ask
also there can be a tendency to prejudge people without knowing their musical journey
oh your a Macintosh guy
your a tube guy
your digital woman
your a vinyl person etc
or worse... your a solid state individual ;) these a pathetic labels and cause divisiveness
i stopped putting mine up, because it felt pretentious to me, and I am not sure if I put mine up, anyone would understand where I was coming from, so I dropped mine, plus the explanation would be so lengthy the sun would have turned into a Red Giant by the time I finished

i am very happy where I am, I am not in any camp, and I don’t need others to validate my choices and decisions :)

If you are a regular poster, your thought process and gear choice will be known. In many cases, people might also have different preferences from the gear they own. People make purchases they can't get out off but wish they could

View attachment 67209
Thanks DeadWax. The monkeys sounded lovely with the LM219ia... but if I had the LM805ia when I tried these out I’d probably now have a pair. The 805 with 300B injects that extra quality of aliveness and a big hearted verve that really would suit your 0/96s I figure.
What are the round columns in the corners?

Signatures don't help me in understanding the person's choices. A string of his posts do

Signatures help me mostly if there is a new or unfamiliar poster who starts talking up a component, I check to see if he is a dealer or if he owns it. Also, sometimes they have gear that interests me that I can ask them about

If you are a regular poster, your thought process and gear choice will be known. In many cases, people might also have different preferences from the gear they own. People make purchases they can't get out off but wish they could
Lucky I post irregularily as even I don’t understand my thought process, but it’s generally about trying to get something that sounds natural as I can get regardless of price , though I cannot afford anything really expensive as I am a miserable Scotsman at the end of the day and prefer good but cheap ;)

Devore is not a horn. But yes it is about staying on the natural axis as opposed to an artificial sound. I am not surprised that Caelin replaced his Sasha over 5 years ago with devore orangutans and has been happy since (he also added PAP and horns).
That’s a really interesting comment, maybe profound

natural axis versus an artificial Hi-Fi axis

i cannot express that better
my last year has been about the tendency to move towards how it should sound naturally and away from normal audiophile criteria
I am not saying other people’s don’t have their priorities that are different from mine and just as valid , but those are my priorities thx Ked :)

ok ok ..now let’s talk about horn ?!.......No......really....aren’t all threads really about horns.....No....come on, your kidding....seriously why wouldn’t everyone be interested in horns ?

(...) But yes it is about staying on the natural axis as opposed to an artificial sound. (...)

Translated : But yes it is about staying on the sound some of us prefer, as opposed to the sound many others seem to prefer (...)

IMHO this nomenclature natural axis/ artificial sound is very unnatural, unfriendly, time consuming and useless way of debating interesting aspects of stereo sound reproduction. Nice to create wars, and shrivel any interesting subject, but IMHO not useful to create participated threads in an audio forum.

Reactions: asiufy
Translated : But yes it is about staying on the sound some of us prefer, as opposed to the sound many others seem to prefer (...)

IMHO this nomenclature natural axis/ artificial sound is very unnatural, unfriendly, time consuming and useless way of debating interesting aspects of stereo sound reproduction. Nice to create wars, and shrivel any interesting subject, but IMHO not useful to create participated threads in an audio forum.

No it's perfect. Almost every comment here is about what some prefer vs others prefer, no idea why it should be any different for natural vs artificial. People can read comments of posters and judge for themselves, like with everything else, which camp they want to identify in. This will create no more wars than analog vs digital, SS vs tubes etc. Sorry but even your protests are not natural

Reactions: awsmone
That’s a really interesting comment, maybe profound

natural axis versus an artificial Hi-Fi axis

i cannot express that better

Thanks. On another thread while discussing naturalness someone asked about complexity vs natural, to which I had replied that stay on the axis of natural and then work on improving complexity. Previously someone had made a point that Magico would have much more bass and detail for large symphony w.r.t Devores. While I do not disagree that if you move from Devore to a Magico type speaker you could get more bass and detail on the first track, I immediately detect an artificiality and a synthetic sound I cannot enjoy, while with Devores the music flows with sufficient detail. Going up to better horns to me is staying on the axis and addressing the complexity and bass resolution issue, but simply saying one component has more bass than the other or more detail than the other makes no sense if one is on the natural axis and one is not.

Last edited:
No it's perfect. Almost every comment here is about what some prefer vs others prefer, no idea why it should be any different for natural vs artificial. People can read comments of posters and judge for themselves, like with everything else, which camp they want to identify in. This will create no more wars than analog vs digital, SS vs tubes etc. Sorry but even your protests are not natural
I totally agree with Ked here it’s just as much of a dichotomy of the many others on this forum....

hmm complexity
i have been listening a lot to B?ch recently
it’s a combination of complexity and naturalness if you don’t understand B?ch you don’t understand music fundamentally

Reactions: bonzo75
My choice from these demos would be the NAF 2a3 integrated, which had KR valves.
Thanks for the insight here. The AirTight 300b was squarely on my radar but not the NAF. I will need to look into it as well. Much appreciated!

I totally agree with Ked here it’s just as much of a dichotomy of the many others on this forum....

hmm complexity
i have been listening a lot to B?ch recently
it’s a combination of complexity and naturalness if you don’t understand B?ch you don’t understand music fundamentally

I do not disagree fundamentally with dichotomy, although I find it bizarre and inconsistent, just with the nomenclature. BTW, should we start calling WBF members as musical understander and musical ignorant ;) according to their Bach knowledge status?

No, I am not suggesting you called anyone ignorant , just used the word ignorant to oppose understander ...

The problem I have with the natural v. artificial axis, though a simple and useful concept, is that people know or think they know what axis their own system represents, and others who read about the system, but have not heard it, are sure they know or think they know what, axis the system is on. This then leads to disagreements, or worse, arguments. It is then difficult to have a meaningful discussion going forward because assumptions and judgements have been made.

Simply listing components in a signature will lead some readers to conclusions about how a system sounds. This is perhaps ripe for its own thread, but I am beginning to think, based on my own recent experiments, that set up has just as much or even more to do with where your system lies on the natural/artificial axis than does the combination of gear one has chosen.

This is fine though, because often or even usually, the guy with the system does not care what others who have not heard the system think, as long as he is happily listening to his music.

Listing your components in your signature is shorthand for providing some context about the decisions you have made. Increasingly, I look for what accessories, if any, one chooses to list, ie. footers, isolation, racks, treatments, cables, etc. Image if people start simply to list typologies, like tube/horn, SS/cone, vinyl, digital, tape, or even "low power/high efficiency analog system" versus "high power/inefficient digital with DSP or multi channel. Or even better, vintage/contemporary.

Signatures indicate just how many different approaches there are to system assembly on this forum.

How is your first point different from any argument on the forum? Unless you are saying people should only argue with those whose systems they have heard?

How is your first point different from any argument on the forum? Unless you are saying people should only argue with those whose systems they have heard?

Some members assume they know how a system sounds without having heard it, and they comment on that basis. Others members do not make such assumptions. Same with gear. Some people only go on threads about gear they have heard or threads about general audio topics. Other people go on threads just to stir things up. Just different approaches, I guess. Some people like to argue, others not so much.

Reactions: asiufy
Some members assume they know how a system sounds without having heard it, and they comment on that basis. Others members do not make such assumptions. Same with gear. Some people only go on threads about gear they have heard or threads about general audio topics. Other people go on threads just to stir things up. Just different approaches, I guess. Some people like to argue, others not so much.

That is fine. I agree. Still it doesn't change anything from having a natural vs artificial axis, or not having it, unless one just wants to stir up an argument on that topic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing