Member Signatures

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have also noticed that, and assumed most posters just like to talk versus listen to music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Discussing some brands seems to be sport around here, so perhaps people would rather not expose themselves to posible judgement. Others may not want to be labeled, identified, or characterized by a list of components. Just a guess.

I think it is pretty interesting to know what a poster listens to at home on a regular basis, and it is a quick reference list: one or more of vinyl, tape, or digital, SS or tube, speaker typology, mainstream, esoteric or DIY. It helps to put the comments in some kind of context, similar to when a reviewer lists his system components.

I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just curious to learn why people don't seem to be including this information as much as they used to.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
At WBF, my system is listed on my About page.

About pages are relatively easy to access. Click a poster's avatar which opens a small window. Click their avatar in that small window and you are taken to their personal page, then click 'About'. Left-arrow on your browser to come back to the page you were on when you clicked the avatar..

For those listing a system my suggestion is to identify what the components are rather than listing model numbers only. Yours, Peter, is a good example of that suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: geodiak

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: gian60

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Possibly because I mainly connect to WBF via dumb phone (my phone certainly isn’t that smart) it isn’t then till I turn it sideways that members signatures are displayed.

The times when I look to this relates mostly to those moments when I’m trying to gauge perspective... eg say a member reports a life altering night and day experience from putting 4 audiophile switches in a row into their digital path I'm intrigued with just how ideal the rest of their setup actually is.

So looking to the system isn’t judgemental but rather just trying to get some perspective on where the gear is taking them by just how telling/resolving their system might be. How vulnerable or sonically sharp or potentially musically connective it might just be.

This kind of info is at best ballpark rather than exact but sometimes it can be helpful and indicative of preferences and the experience. It would be helpful if there was some transparency in this regard.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
At WBF, my system is listed on my About page.

About pages are relatively easy to access. Click a poster's avatar which takes you to their personal page, then click 'About'. Left-arrow on your browser to come back to the page you were on when you clicked the avatar..

For those listing a system my suggestion is to identify what the components are rather than listing model numbers only. Yours, Peter, is a good example of that suggestion.

Tima - Interestingly I can't find your "About" page from your Avatar. I'm vaguely offered your location and the fact that you are an "Industry Expert" that is in itself ambiguous. Are you in the Trade as a dealer or manufacturer with a vested interest in certain brands, or an unbiased (hopefully) reviewer, or just a member of the public who believes he's an expert in all things audio?

The Avatar box gives stats about your activity and 3 clickable boxes - Follow - Ignore - Start Conversation. No "About".

However I see that an additional click on your name opens a more detailed window that does (for those who've dig this deep) offer an About box that needs to be opened before, at last, we can see the list of your kit! By this time, we've lost the thread we wanted to contribute to and probably forgotten what we wanted to say!

Why not just add you list of kit to your signature so we can see it as we compose our replies?

Just a thought ;) - Peter

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tim is a reviewer to be recommended... I very much enjoy his work. Also unsure really that it’s difficult to find his system page (I found it and I’m barely digitally literate) or that we need to be prescriptive about how we each choose to set ourselves up. It’s within the settings of WBF to choose.

Latitude is often a good thing I’d have thought... I appreciate it, it suggests some flexibility and perhaps even enables us the freedom to express one’s most inner OCDness without apology... a good thing in these densely prescriptive times.

Last edited:
Reactions: timztunz and tima

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Since I use my real name and picture on line, I really don’t find it prudent to post my equipment on a public forum for all to see. Paranoid? Perhaps, but that is my reason.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It seems to me that members are not listing their system components in their signatures as often as they used to. Is this the case, or am I imagining it? If they are not, why are they not?

Peter,
For some reason, when you are logged into the forum, you cannot see the systems in the signature. Log out and come back to this thread and you will see everyone's system back in their signature.

@Steve Williams this might be something with the current forum settings.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter,
For some reason, when you are logged into the forum, you cannot see the systems in the signature. Log out and come back to this thread and you will see everyone's system back in their signature.

@Steve Williams this might be something with the current forum settings.

I see signatures by clicking on about or by holding my phone horizontal. On laptop I can see it.

I just usually check new comers or unfamiliar posters, though

Reactions: Steve Williams

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Personally I prefer the option to not see signatures unless required. On some forums signatures starting growing huge, and there would be two lines of posts and then many lines of signature. With regular posters, these would appear every time and get irritating, as you got much less screen space on posts then on signatures. So an about link or the ability to rotate screen when required is ideal

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Personally I prefer the option to not see signatures unless required. On some forums signatures starting growing huge, and there would be two lines of posts and then many lines of signature. With regular posters, these would appear every time and get irritating, as you got much less screen space on posts then on signatures. So am about link or the ability to rotate screen when required is ideal

my 2 cents is i want to see system description signatures. however; commercial (dealer/manufacturer) signatures that extend down the page are an eyesore (a few are particularly egregious). they can use links instead. keep those high and tight. just speaking for myself.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
my 2 cents is i want to see system description signatures. however; commercial (dealer/manufacturer) signatures that extend down the page are an eyesore. keep those high and tight. just speaking for myself.

Yes but you can see those anyway. I don't want to see yours every post while scrolling down. I can see it if and when I want to

Reactions: awsmone

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing