Metal Mats

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think that 1 degree slope is a very nice solution and better than the "washer on spindle plus clamp" solution of my SME. Better coupling, at least in theory. Tell us about the smoothness of the mat surface? Is it scrolled or very smooth/polished? Does it matter? Have you tried it with a layer of felt or leather as on the AS2000?

I found SME and any other clamp system tends to raise the LP off the platter a little because that's the natural tendency of pressing in the middle (unless you only do it a tiny amount, which never helps warps and doesn't couple more). In fact when it comes to any TT like an SME I always forgo the clamp when I'm the one placing the LP.

The stainless mat is very smooth. If you're a hot swapper you don't have to worry.

I haven't tried adding felt or leather. It should be noted early AS2000's had flat platters and people were sometimes trying leather as it was noted to sound good by manufacturer, but the latest platter (which every original purchaser got the updated one I think as a courtesy) included a slope. I believe they get a very nice weight with purchase, too. Were I try try something I might get some rubber to place between the platter and mat if I can find some really thin stuff, or it'd have to be pretty hard. Movement is the enemy between the LP and platter I think, which explains why a lot of the damping items sound meh (they move more but bring things to rest). The best sounding rubber mats AFAIK are not very compliant. The compliant ones I've had always sounded markedly better with cork or anything else on top of them.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's an interesting idea. However I suspect when the plates are cut into metal is closer to the relationship with the vinyl by a long ways over the lacquer.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
There was the Oyaide MJ-12 aluminum mat which seemed to be highly thought of, though no longer in production.

My L-07d platter is a three layer sandwich of Aluminum and Duralumin with the platter mat a sheet of precision machined stainless steel which is a removable part of the whole platter structure. It too is shaped to work with the center stablizer at over 1kg and DS-20 Outer Disk Stabilizer. Works very well.
I did buy the Kenwood/Trio TS-10 Ceramic Platter Sheet (remove the SS and replace it) but was not impressed.

TS-10 Ceramic Platter Sheet

My Onkyo whole platter is 10kg of pure beautiful copper.......

Reactions: Folsom
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
my Garrardzilla has 13,5 kg bronze platter...now I have rubber /cork mat...sounds good, but one should never rule out anything in this hobby

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I use a 60 pound lead bottom platter, with a 44 pound stainless steel platter on top, the stainless platter has a record label size indentation at the center , lead is somewhat pliable , so the contact is tight, no ringing can be felt or heard when you tap the combination. I have run it successfully without a mat, but prefer it with one of the leather mats David uses on his AS 2000. I use a heavy screw down center weight made of lead.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Also thought of the Trio l07. Really didn't like it. Various alternative mats on top of the stainless steel did not help either. Whatever was wrong with that tt certainly wasn't the mat.

Reactions: Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I am continueing to be impressed on how much better sound is with this setup. Because it makes music sound beautiful, enticing, it helps less perfect albums show the magic of the music within them.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
bought a CU180 to test on top of bronze/cork-rubber combo

I'd be interested to know how that works for you as I also have one of Stefano's platters on my Garrard 401. At the moment I'm using an Auditorium 23 platter mat which sounds very good. I also have a Tenuto that I used to use with my standard Garrard platter to try at some stage, I originally held off due to the combined weight on the Garrard bearing but have now upgraded that so the weight shouldn't be a problem.

David Whistance

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I’m sure most will find the CU 180 as an upgrade. It is the highest price option for the least features however (such as it is pretty thin and has no slope).

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
I also have a Tenuto

David how did you get on with the Tenuto? Not pure copper I know. I've always found the original Garrard mat on my 301 pretty unbeatable. Keep going back to it as it just seems so more musical.

Reactions: ddk

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
David how did you get on with the Tenuto? Not pure copper I know. I've always found the original Garrard mat on my 301 pretty unbeatable. Keep going back to it as it just seems so more musical.

Is yours pretty stiff? I am too young to know if they all were.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Is yours pretty stiff? I am too young to know if they all were.
I'm sure there is joke to be had....but I'll keep it clean:eek:

Yes my matt is supple, soft even, as original. Manufactured post 1959.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019

I liked the Tenuto a lot with the original Garrard platter, it damped it cleaning up the sound and made the turntable sound more dynamic. I much preferred it to my original Garrard mat.

Reactions: Agrail

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing