Most under-rated guitarist of all time?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Must add Kid Anderson of Rick Estrin and the Nightcats to this list. One of the most imaginative guitar players out there. Man, can this guy jam! And he's only 32.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Huh. they just played at our local club, i've been sick so i didn't go, but my wife and friends went, she raved about the harmonica player. Sorry i missed them. It was at the Turning Point in Piermont, a throw-back club that seats under 100, and gets folks like Johnny Winter, Leslie West, James Hunter, NRBQ, and many, many others. (Have caught Bill Kirchen many times there, hell of a Tele player); David Lindley (probably the best string player I have ever heard), will be seeing Terry Reid there in a couple weeks. Junior Wells and Buddy Guy used to play there as did Hubert Sumlin. Love the small club scene. Sorry for the rave about the club, but you just got me thinking.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Huh. they just played at our local club, i've been sick so i didn't go, but my wife and friends went, she raved about the harmonica player. Sorry i missed them. It was at the Turning Point in Piermont, a throw-back club that seats under 100, and gets folks like Johnny Winter, Leslie West, James Hunter, NRBQ, and many, many others. (Have caught Bill Kirchen many times there, hell of a Tele player); David Lindley (probably the best string player I have ever heard), will be seeing Terry Reid there in a couple weeks. Junior Wells and Buddy Guy used to play there as did Hubert Sumlin. Love the small club scene. Sorry for the rave about the club, but you just got me thinking.

Thanks. I'll see if I can stop by that club when I am in that neck of the woods.

As for the harmonica player, Rick Estrin is very special indeed. Definitely in the elite tier of living harp blowers. He has excellent chemistry with Kid Anderson that make the shows a lot of fun.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Earl Hooker's "Two Bugs and a Roach" was recently re-released on vinyl. What a shame for this guy to die at 41 due to the TB bug (as referred to in the title).

Thank God someone recorded this album.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Lurrie Bell has a new album on Delmark records, doing a killer job playing some real Chicago blues. I was a bit disappointed with his last album, which mixes blues and gospel. But the new album is pure, raw, blues guitar genius.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dug up an old Magic Slim album - Essential Magic Slim, and it has been spinning constantly for the last week. Slim died about 6 months ago, but boy was he a guitar Giant.

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Jimi Hendrix was in in England being interviewed by a pommie reporter. The reporter asked Jimi "What's it like to be
the greatest guitarist on earth?" Jimi replied "I don't know, you would have to ask Rory Gallagher"

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I don't think Prince is getting quite the recognition he deserves as a brilliant guitar player in his own right.

100% agree. The thing is he does not just play one instrument. He plays EVERY instrument which makes his guitar playing when he does quite special.

Reactions: Al M.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, I am in a music store that sells a line of Gibson's ( guitar's). I happen to hear a guy play a new Les Paul Standard...plays like a phenom!! Not for long mind you, the sales rep quickly suggests that this guy to try a Gold Top Les Paul ( more expensive guitar). The customer plays it and it sounds like ****! The customer tells the sales guy it sounds like ****.....which I TOTALLY agree with. Even at my distance, I could tell the strings were as dead as roadkill and the guitar obviously had dried up and was nasty. ( Amazing for a guitar of this price!). Now here's the point, the customer was a KILLER player ( totally unknown to me).. so what happens next?....the sales guy grabs the Gold Top from his hands and says in a LOUD voice-- "NOTHING wrong with the guitar,problem is you (the customer) cannot play!!" Proceeds to play a few simple chords and a riff and pronounces again that the customer is like so many who visit the store...tone deaf and unable to play!! Blows me away that this is happening!! I walked out almost as quickly as the customer, LOL:eek:. I wonder IF this situation would have happened IF the customer had a name for himself...( which BTW he richly deserved based on his playing ability). Probably happens to unknowns worldwide....:(

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Can't believe I forgot about Melvin Taylor, since I have seen him at least 75-100 times since the early 90s and hearing him the first time really got me into the blues. Check out this version of tin pan alley

This guy is still alive!!!

He plays part like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix, with the speed of Wes Montgomery.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Can't believe I forgot about Melvin Taylor, since I have seen him at least 75-100 times since the early 90s and hearing him the first time really got me into the blues. Check out this version of tin pan alley

He plays part like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix, with the speed of Wes Montgomery.

That is some VERY impressive playing! I had heard of Melvin before, but didn't realize he had that in him!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Melvin Taylor is unquestionably one of the two best living blues guitarists on the planet today and may take the prize for the most relatively unknown. I've seen him several times and I am left gasping each time. It is worth a trip to Chicago to see him at his home base, Rosa's, a tiny bar he plays at from time to time. His next appearance there is Dec 12.
http://rosaslounge.com/

The other guitarist I refer to is Buddy Whittington who played with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers for years but is now touring solo with his own band, mostly in Texas. Sheer genius.
http://www.buddywhittington.com/

A smart promoter would put these two together on stage in a summer tour that would bring down the house. The greatest living Chicago Blues guitartist paired with the greatest living Texas Blues guitarist. Sign me up!!

If you want unknown but certainly not under-rated, look to the current Kings of Gypsy Jazz guitar (think Django Reinhardt). Bereli Lagrene and Jimmy Rosenberg are truly European royalty in the guitar world, although they are relatively unknown in the US.

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Um, er, Melvin Taylor and Buddy Whittington? No you didn't. (Sorry Marty:) )

Of course, we all have our own personal taste... mine is just better;)

And, of course, it depends upon whether you are limiting the conversation to, e.g. blues, blues/rock, electric guitar and/or acoustic guitar.

With honorable mention to Derek Trucks, who IMO is and has been for years now the best slide guitarist going, the guitarist who can do it all and is the number 1 blues guitarist going is, to use Marty's word "unquestionably", Joe Bonamassa.

Second best is tough. Warren Haynes also can do it all and do it brilliantly. Eric Gales is the second coming of Hendrix. And Kenny Wayne Shepherd is SRV on 3 cups of espresso.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
As I have mentioned before in another thread. Melvin has been a fav for a longtime. 'Play the Blues for you' is still my fav. # of years ago early evening sons and I went to a local pub for a couple of brews, had them put on the disc and very quickly all wanted to know who that was so they could pick it up. Since this was one of his early recordings he was emulating other guitarist at times on diff tracks. Not a bad thing as he was far from repetitive. Later, of course, he starts to develop his own style. I can listen to him all day and not get tired.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Man that is great music. Purchased!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing