MSB Select II arrival

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
U really don't know what u are talking about here.....

But I do know the designer of the Network Renderer V2 module extremely well. In any event, life is too short to argue with people on the internet so have a happy life.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Fantastic system you have there. I use a Reference DAC (with constant impedance preamp module, single PowerBase, and Femto140 clock) and the Network Renderer V2. I would love to try one of the higher spec clocks and the two dedicated PowerBases in the future.

The Network Renderer V2 module (along with the top USB module and new ProISL interface) features optical isolation internally which means that noise on the network, introduced by cables, or from the computer hosting the Roon Core is not an issue.

Congrats on your Reference DAC! I listened to one for three days last year at RMAF and was highly impressed. I think the one Vince was running had the upgraded preamp module, Femto 33 clock and a single power base. Nothing was lacking in its performance that I could hear.

Enjoy,
Ken

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
But I do know the designer of the Network Renderer V2 module extremely well. In any event, life is too short to argue with people on the internet so have a happy life.

And I know several and have shared many thoughts and changes in network configurations on the MSB.
A designer is not necessarily a listener.

Everything matters.....

Last edited:

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
And I know several and have shared many thoughts and changes in network configurations on the MSB.
A designer is not necessarily a listener.

Everything matters.....

I know you are an experienced audiophile and have one of the best systems in the entire country. Why not include your system in your signature line and more importantly, try a little nicer delivery. I am sure myself and others would be a lot more interested in what you have to say. This is not criticism, just an observation.

All the best,
Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Disclaimer: I am an employee of MSB Technology

I happened across this thread a few days ago, I like to see what our customers like or dislike about our products so sometimes I browse the forums. I hate to post however because I can't stand the politics involved. I do want to clear up this bit of misinformation however...

Simon Kern (isquirrel) is an MSB customer from Australia, no more no less. He purchased a Select DAC II a while ago after he was loaned a demo unit to evaluate by our Australian Distributor. He also has our Electrostatic headphone amp which we sent to him to get his feedback because, 1. MSB is not a headphone company and we have very little experience in that field 2. Simon primarily listens to headphones and has enormous experience in that sphere 3. He already had a Select II and that amp was designed specifically for the Select II. He liked it enough to purchase it but as far as I know it is not his reference which are his custom built Woo Audio WA234 MONOs because so far he mostly prefers dynamic headphones over electrostats.

As far as I know he also recently became a reviewer for Mono and Stereo here is the link: http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/02/simon-kern-joins-mono-and-stereo.html

Dear DMSB,

Thank you very much for posting here and for answering our members’ questions. We always are excited and grateful when manufacturers take the time to post here!

I often take it upon myself to enforce our ban on politics, so please don’t worry about that.

Reactions: Al M.

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Thanks to kind recommendations from Mike and Grant on this site, I went for a new MSB Select II DAC. It's everything they've said and more. In addition to being the most realistic sounding digital I've ever heard, I marveled at the seamless, superfast rate switching, and absence of offensive pops in DSD track transitions. It's really very special in every way.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congratulations, enjoy it!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thanks to kind recommendations from Mike and Grant on this site, I went for a new MSB Select II DAC. It's everything they've said and more. In addition to being the most realistic sounding digital I've ever heard, I marveled at the seamless, superfast rate switching, and absence of offensive pops in DSD track transitions. It's really very special in every way.

Congratulations!!! I’ve also been extremely happy with my Select II DAC. The sound quality, functionality and build quality are all top notch. My urge to upgrade my digital is finally cured.

Best,
Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Congratulations!!! I’ve also been extremely happy with my Select II DAC. The sound quality, functionality and build quality are all top notch. My urge to upgrade my digital is finally cured.

Best,
Ken

Thanks, and yes, this should be my final stop as well. In the past few years I've gone from the Berkeley to the Vivaldi to the Select II, each time doubling the cost. The saving grace in all this has been good dealers who allowed full retail in trade.

The most realistic tracks I've heard are DSD, but DSD is not a given, as you all know, and I have RBCD's that sound better than some DSD. Vince was adamant about their new optimized DSD.

Reactions: Alpinist

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Would like to tell you that I have just joined this "Select DAC Club".
Very happy! :D

It's a mono Powerbase version and with Ref33 clock option :

20190321_191037~2a.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

just beautiful!:)

big congrats to you CK! very happy for you and welcome to the MSB Select DAC Club. and that you did the mono bases, 33 Femto, and Select transport too.......you really went all in.:cool:

over the years you have been very active in the ultimate dac investigations, so you making this move with all those other choices around you is a big deal to me. i look forward to your feedback as you spend time with your new toys.

best regards,

Mike

Reactions: CKKeung

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats!
After you've got a few hours on it, do try to hook it up directly to your amps, and let us know how it goes against the (very nice) Bespoke preamp :)

cheers,
Alex

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
just beautiful!:)
big congrats to you CK! very happy for you and welcome to the MSB Select DAC Club. and that you did the mono bases, 33 Femto, and Select transport too.......you really went all in.:cool:
over the years you have been very active in the ultimate dac investigations, so you making this move with all those other choices around you is a big deal to me. i look forward to your feedback as you spend time with your new toys.
best regards,
Mike

Hello Mike,

I learn a lot from you!
Not a joke, as I have read these 73 pages several times!

BTW your black colour Select is more cool! :cool:

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Congratulations, looks fantastic, I am sure that sounds fantastic too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike,

I learn a lot from you!

thanks.

Not a joke, as I have read these 73 pages several times!

me too.:)

BTW your black colour Select is more cool! :cool:

i like my black color, but there are times i would have preferred the silver or gold matte like yours. i think the lines of the Select II are more elegant in the lighter colors. the black blends in better. so they just different.

looking forward to your comments about how the Select transport performance compares to files. and btw; which server are you using (or planning on using), and are you going to do a USB or Ethernet interface?

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
best regards,
Mike

I don't have LP and open reel tape so I have concentrated on silver discs and CAS on my audiophile journey.
HK is a compact city and I did have listened to most of the top DAC in the market (except the famed Aries Cerat bcos there is not local dealer yet).

Most of these top DAC can impress listeners instantly : maybe their high resolution, maybe their huge dynamics, maybe their romantic sound, maybe their Swiss finesse characters ... etc

However I listened to Select DAC many times at shows/showroom demo/homevisits. Every time it's enjoyable yet when being asked what signatures it possesses, I can't give an accurate answer.
Via listening to it for longer time at home, I now understand it more.

IMHO the words to describe Select DAC are Righteousness and Allroundedness.
It seems to me that Select DAC has, at least amongst digital component/DACs, perfection in every aspects of sound.

In the present moment, the only pitfall I can pick out is its high price. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpinist

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't have LP and open reel tape so I have concentrated on silver discs and CAS in my audiophile journey.
HK is a compact city and I did have listened to most of the top DAC in the market (except the famed Aries Cerat bcos there is not local dealer yet).

Most of these top DAC can impress listeners instantly : maybe their high resolution, maybe their huge dynamics, maybe their romantic sound, maybe their Swiss finesse characters ... etc

However I listened to Select DAC many times at shows/showroom demo/homevisits. Every time it's enjoyable yet when being asked what signatures it possesses, I can't give an accurate answer.
Via listening to it for longer time at home, I now understand it more.

IMHO the words to describe Select DAC are Righteousness and Allroundedness.
It seems to me that Select DAC has, at least amongst digital component/DACs, perfection in every aspects of sound.

In the present moment, the only pitfall I can pick out is its high price. :cool:

well said.

likewise for me i hear no sort of character/sameness with the MSB Select II. it more resembles (my) vinyl and (my) tape than other digital, in that is has that sort of continuousness and flow. i can just listen for hours and hours and it delivers. and i also had that similar introduction to it at audio shows where it stood out as sounding right and natural regardless of the music.

i also find it is not limiting to my system, in that as i find additional whole system gains, the MSB Select II jumps ahead with those gains, instead of limitations getting uncovered. it has that performance headroom and depth.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

View attachment 50610
Dear Sir,

In the picture, it seems the Select components are designed to allow stacking up on top of one another. The designer of this brand doesnt leave anything for granted. Have you tried stacking them on top and maybe only use some sort of vibe mgt platform under only the first component?

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing