Munich 2020 cancelled

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Bummer, had a pass to go for the first time this year.

Seems insurers are pulling the plug on large scale / international events

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Was just discussing at lunch whether it would go ahead, better safe than sorry..

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
There's always Kegworth! ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think the media is making such a massive big it up over this it is cretinous.

You think you are under political control?

Nope. The media controls all countries. Unless the government controls the media in that country.

Hard to work out in almost all cases.

Think about it.

Reactions: wisnon

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Reactions: XCop5089

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Bummer - the one time when I had an opportunity to see this show and it's canceled. Best to be on the safe side though so I understand.

Reactions: bazelio

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
I think the media is making such a massive big it up over this it is cretinous.

You think you are under political control?

Nope. The media controls all countries. Unless the government controls the media in that country.

Hard to work out in almost all cases.

Think about it.

Really - a global viral pandemic (as it will be declared in a day or two) with - confirmed 84,184 cases - confirmed 2876 deaths - confirmed to be in 59 countries around the world & 1 cruise ship is a media "beat up". Stock markets around the world disagree. The defence rests...

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
This is not something trivial and we need to take precautions. I’ve heard so people say it’s no worse than the flu but the rate of infection, transmission and longevity makes it highly contagious and in the long run very deadly in the number of sicknesses and possible overall deaths. I hope everyone starts preparing because this can turn ugly really quick.

Let‘s keep our fingers crossed a vaccine can be found sooner than later but all signs point toward take a year or so to making it available to the public. Don‘t see how being a little over cautious is a bad thing in our current situation.

I would prefer nothing more than to be wrong about how bad this can get but that’s not what the statistics are pointing to.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Really - a global viral pandemic (as it will be declared in a day or two) with - confirmed 84,184 cases - confirmed 2876 deaths - confirmed to be in 59 countries around the world & 1 cruise ship is a media "beat up". Stock markets around the world disagree. The defence rests...

No the stock markets are reacting to the media mega hype that's all.

600,000 flu deaths per year globally. No one bats an eyelid by comparison. Reason? Boring story.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Reactions: wisnon and djsina2

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014

600,000 flu deaths per year globally. No one bats an eyelid by comparison. Reason? Boring story.

Oh please - the flu has been around for more than 2000 years - now that IS a boring story evidenced by:
  • The Greek physician Hippocrates, the "Father of Medicine", first described influenza in 412 BC.[70]
  • The first influenza pandemic was recorded in 1580, and since then, influenza pandemics occurred every 10 to 30 years
  • Influenza A (H3N2) viruses still circulate today.

And now we have:
A new coronavirus initially known as "2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)", "coronavirus", "Wuhan coronavirus", or "Kung Flu."[122][123][124][125][126][127][128] Per 2015 WHO guidelines on the naming of viruses and diseases,[128][129] the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) announced that it would introduce a suitable official name for the virus[127] which is later known as SARS-CoV-2, as part of the official name giving-and-revealing by the World Health Organization (WHO), along with the official name of the disease being Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The virus may have originated at the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, Hubei, China. Investigation conducted sometimes between 1 and 30 January found that at least 30 traces of coronavirus present at the market. The market, along with Wuhan and the Hubei province of China, has since been closed down indefinitely to prevent further spread of the virus. Confirmed cases has rapidly risen ever since and the death toll increased to be on par with and eventually surpassed 2003's SARS numbers. Originally found by Chinese ophtalmologist-turned-whistleblower Li Wenliang but was suppressed by Chinese authority and censors, accusing him of spreading hoax and inciting public order. This act by the Chinese State contributed greatly to the massive epidemic fallout afterwards. It is found to be 95% similar in strain and code with 2003 SARS coronavirus. The virus managed to get out of China to some 20 other countries and territories, including France and the Philippines, where the first deaths outside China reported. In mid-February 2020, cases in China appeared to be lowered down but cases outside China saw increased spike in numbers, especially in South Korea, Italy, and Iran. In late-February 2020, cases of SARS-CoV-2 mounting in Germany and France as well as other region with lower number of infections, all linked to Italy's Lombardy and Veneto cluster. As of February 29, 2020, there are over 85,673 cases of this coronavirus and 2,933 deaths.[130][131] This virus is transmissible from human to human and there also reports indicating the virus' asymptomatic infection, even an ability to spread within its incubation period.[132] The Italian government placed Lombardy and Veneto on lockdown. The South Korean government placed Daegu under lockdown. The Emergency Committee on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) under the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) was reconvened on 30 January 2020. WHO declared the outbreak to be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, not a pandemic. As of 29 February 2020, the disease had spread to at least 60 other countries.[133] The oubreak is currently one of the most deadliest epidemic caused by a type or strain of coronavirus.[134]

If you want to raise a genuine topical debate - here is mine - Every death by a gun IS easily preventable - Nearly 40,000 People Died From Guns in U.S. 2017, Highest in 50 Years - In the 2016-17 season, there were an estimated 29 million flu cases in the United States; and estimated 497,000 flu-related hospitalizations and 38,000 flu-related deaths - for comparison, 36,560 people died in car accidents in 2018 in the United States & almost 40,000 by a gun.

Last edited:

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

You're seriously missing the point

This virus isn't particularly serious for sure, you, me and the vast majority will be ill for a few days.. The issue here is no human immunity and easy transmission.

If the virus does break out everyone will get it. 10s of millions of people in this country (UK) alone isn't unlikely. 1-2 % of that is a very large number of dead people. My parents, that's my kid's grandparents aren't in the best of shape. Are they just collateral?

The knock on effect of this on the medical facilities we take for granted shouldn't be underestimated.

A pandemic is avoidable, deaths are avoidable at this stage but it will take effort

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

This virus isn't particularly serious for sure, you, me and the vast majority will be ill for a few days.. The issue here is no human immunity and easy transmission.

If the virus does break out everyone will get it. 10s of millions of people in this country (UK) alone isn't unlikely. 1-2 % of that is a very large number of dead people. My parents, that's my kid's grandparents aren't in the best of shape. Are they just collateral?

The knock on effect of this on the medical facilities we take for granted shouldn't be underestimated.

A pandemic is avoidable, deaths are avoidable at this stage but it will take effort
There is no immunity to ANY (new) flu. They mutate too fast, hence why every year people get sick.
For the last 3 years, there has been pneumonia outbreaks in Wuhan at this time. Jan/Feb has the foulest air there.
No coverage before now.

There was a BAD flu outbreak in Europe from Dec, long before COVID19, with kids and adults getting 40c fevers. Not a peep from the media. So now, is any new flu in Europe Corona or old flu? How good are these tests, as OLD flu had a big headstart and should have the dominant numerical values....lets see.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I am on the side of humanity in the war against the virus. I would like to prevent as many as possible from dying. I also agree with general preventative measures...like I do for the normal flu which killed my grandfather or C-Diff that killed my uncle (bacteria) in this case. C-Diff kills 15K a year in the US and afflicts 500K in prevalence.

I do question the discriminatory treatment of diseases though. Just like when we balk at spending $1,000 on Neo-natal care for at-risk babies, yet gleefully spend $300K on cancer for octogenarians to live 9 months longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaur and analogsa

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
In contrast, this seems inflammatory!

Coronavirus Covid-19 'could kill 45 million' and 'poses a bigger threat than terrorism'

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
There is 600K deaths per year caused by normal flu each year so why do we make such a big deal for Cornovirus?

With the current mortality rates if Coronovirus spreads like normal flu this year 30 million people will die from it.

There is a hype because 30.000.000 is a very different number from 600.000.

600.000 deaths are manageable but 30.000.000 deaths per year is economically not manageable. You'll definitely lose a couple of family members until the end of this year if the virus is not taken seriously and spreads like a normal flu.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
We should always take diseases seriously....but 30m dead? Where did that magic figure come from?

What cfr are you looking at? Even at 2% fatality, ie 20x normal flu, the death total would be 12m! The hype is out of control. Sigh. Next thing people will be saying it will be the end of humanity.

Fatality rates outside Hubei in China is far less than INSIDE Hubei. Cant effectively cure pneumonia by essentially confining people to the area of the planet that has unprecedentedly high pollution rates. Quarantine is a death sentence, as its the bad air that weakens the immune system and lung capacity in the forst place. Catch 22! This alone explains why the case fatality rate is so high in Wugan/Hubei. Also, please note that in Jan/Feb for the last 3 years Wuhan has had pneumonia outbreaks. Google it.

Thereis no free lunch. Live in sewage air and there will be repercussions to human health! There will be lots more pneumonia there next year for sure unless there is drastic change...but liklely it will not make news headlines.

This thing, just like SARs and Mers will fizzle and be a distant memory by Summer.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing