Munich HighEnd 2024

indeed, and for that very same reason, even through my headphones (!!), I am intrigued by this:
(hORNS Uniwersum playing, in red, NOT the cone speakers)

And it’s been run slightly underpowered with a 5 hour burn in on Hana ML on a 4k total Chinese TT with arm, and not in its usual position to accommodate for the trial of the cone. Else will be even better

A little more from the designer about the prototype turntable featured this year .

Wow, all that talk and not even a close up on the turntable, that pig is a bad reporter. :rolleyes: Stavros seems like a good guy.

I have to say I really enjoyed the panel discussion on Saturday on the Xpert Stage.

The topic was "Has Vinyl Technology Gone About As Far As It Can Go?"

It was moderated by Michael Fremer and featured: Mark Dohmann/Dohmann Audio, Craig Mills/Wilson Benesch, Leif Johannsen/Ortofon and JR Boisclair/ Wally Tools.

You can find it on YouTube. Spoiler alert you will be pleased to know the answer is a resounding no!IMG_2609.jpeg

Reactions: gleeds
I had two Magico speakers, the Mini II and the Q3. They were excellent. I sold them both to the same guy about five years apart. They are a clear window to the upstream components so those choices matter and positioning is important. I ended up aiming them straight ahead for most natural presentation in my room.
A clear window to the upstream components...

That has been my experience, repeatedly. This kind of reproduction is desirable in a studio context (for mixing and mastering), even though the FRs aren't always ruler flat.

A5 (good):

1716122295948.png

S1: Summed frequency response (dBSPL/2.83V/m), far field/near field splicing, with 0.33oct smoothing. On-axis (red curve) and averaged on/off axis response (green curve):

1716122559092.png

The sound of Magico is archetypically very high-end.
The result of Magico's extremely technical approach - mainly reflected in the materials - is a hypersterile reproduction, in which all kinds of 'cues' in the recording attract your attention.
A major misconception is related to 'transparency' versus (reproducing the essence of) the music as a whole.
For the purpose of interpretation, I use absolute terms, while audio, in a broad sense, is by definition relative and thus (also) personal.
There are obvious downsides to Magico's excessive, almost technocratic, focus on eliminating all 'supposedly undesired disruptive factors' (deliberately avoiding the word distortion).
And indeed, these are related, among other things, to the aforementioned energy storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

hORNS Universum MK4 I bet they would sound amazing with the Western Electric 91E 300B Integrated amp !

A clear window to the upstream components...

That has been my experience, repeatedly. This kind of reproduction is desirable in a studio context (for mixing and mastering), even though the FRs aren't always ruler flat.

A5 (good):

View attachment 131417

S1: Summed frequency response (dBSPL/2.83V/m), far field/near field splicing, with 0.33oct smoothing. On-axis (red curve) and averaged on/off axis response (green curve):

View attachment 131418

The sound of Magico is archetypically very high-end.
The result of Magico's extremely technical approach - mainly reflected in the materials - is a hypersterile reproduction, in which all kinds of 'cues' in the recording attract your attention.
A major misconception is related to 'transparency' versus (reproducing the essence of) the music as a whole.
For the purpose of interpretation, I use absolute terms, while audio, in a broad sense, is by definition relative and thus (also) personal.
There are obvious downsides to Magico's excessive, almost technocratic, focus on eliminating all 'supposedly undesired disruptive factors' (deliberately avoiding the word distortion).
And indeed, these are related, among other things, to the aforementioned energy storage.

Excellent summary. I owned my Magico system for 15 years and enjoyed it very much. I then did an abrupt change of direction for a different approach to vintage horns from the late 1950s for what I perceive as a less “high end” sound. I ended up changing the whole system, not just the speakers.

David, there is nothing inherently wrong with chamber music. But when we are at audio shows with $1M systems we want to be wow'd, entertained, etc. This is a big reason why we attend! Exhibitors are playing safe, no balls music instead. A trio doesn't remotely show us the sonic capacity of these mega systems. Just bring a pair of monitors if you don't want to go all out and show us state of the art sound reproduction. This is Munich, not a small DIY show at a grungy hotel.

Everyone I know who goes says the same thing about the music. OCD Mikey called it out in that wrap up video. "suicide music for anorexic people" lol.

Meanwhile at Axpona, there were 50+ people with no standing room left at the big Focal/Naim system on *Sunday afternoon* listening to Ghost Rider (not even a track I like but still).

Can not agree with this.

One can be wowed and entertained by classical chamber music. Some are not and may prefer cowboy music. That is fine.

In my opinion, a variety of music should indeed by played.

I just wished it would be more unamplified music including, yes, classical music (including orchestral), than is usually played.

Last edited:
This must be something new by Kaiser Acoustics. But I cannot find any info on i at all. What is it?

IMG_3438.jpeg

Did someone hear this one at Munich?

It almost looks like a Musatoff design (Russian designer)

Last edited:
Reactions: itay123
Thank you I wouldn't call it a debate but that is the link!
The audio quality makes it almost unlistenable. I'm learning sort of the hard way the difficulty of mic'ing panelist discussions.

The audio quality makes it almost unlistenable. I'm learning sort of the hard way the difficulty of mic'ing panelist discussions.
Oh that is unfortunate. As I attended I didn't actually listen to the video, I just saw that one was available.
They seemed to be taking some care in recording the session. I wonder if there is a better copy out there. Anyone?

Ok, folks, I extracted the video from The HIgh-End Munich 2024 show into a downloadable file. I am supplying the link so you can watch the video at your leisure and play the audio through your wonderful Hi-Fi systems.

Expert Panel: Vinyl: Are We There Yet?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing