My CH Precision/Magico System

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow Ian, happy fathers day to you. Now for your birthday you can upgrade your monos.:cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
WOW! BIG NEWS! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! AND MANY MORE TO COME!!!!!

Reactions: MadFloyd

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
What speakers? Could have been a combination but, yes, that is what I concluded from lots of listening.
Seakers were modded Genesis Vs — the mod was replacing the mid-bass unit with a better driver from Focal.

Reactions: analyzer

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Ian - great to hear the results are more than expected, enjoy!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi MadFloyd,
Congrats a new leg of your journey.

A data point: I know a guy with a full out system that has CH in it, with a lot of heavy, good looking boxes and power supplies.

For the first 6 months of acquiring CH boxes , he listened to it a lot to this system. But now he finds it STERILE and MECHANICAL.

When I come over, we primarily listen to his high-efficiency Jadis system. 845 tubes of pure heaven. It has much more emotional engagement than his "clean and precise" CH system.

And he listens to this more modest system (still a bit over $100K of speakers and sublime Jadis gear) most of the time, except on a small number of the best recordings or when he is in the mood to switch things up.

This vignette may or may not apply to you. We all have different goals and tastes. But don't sell your CAT amps just yet. You may want to mix it up. Or not.

Good Luck!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hey caesar, I do understand what you're saying. I am lucky to get exposure to some very different sounding systems. I'm also lucky that I enjoy more than one 'approach' to engaging sound. Sometimes music reproduction does benefit from a sprinkle of added euphonic dust to reinforce the emotional side of it. I've heard Jadis once and really liked it. I love my CAT amps. There's a lot of good stuff.

Right now, and I can't say it will never change, my head is into a 'just the facts' approach - especially when it comes to complex symphonic music and I also love the CH sound for solo instruments. Sometimes all I need is the music ... with proper timbre - and no editorializing.

Point is we all listen for different things. Everyone has their audiophile checklist in a different priority order.

But yes, I won't sell my CAT amps anytime soon. In fact, I purchased the M1.1s for the express purpose of 'mixing it up' and even my wife insisted that I keep my CATs. :) It's also one of the reasons I upgraded the preamp and not the CH amps (incidentally I did upgrade my CATs last year).

But I admit I didn't expect to like the CH amps as much as I do!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hey caesar, I do understand what you're saying. I am lucky to get exposure to some very different sounding systems. I'm also lucky that I enjoy more than one 'approach' to engaging sound. Sometimes music reproduction does benefit from a sprinkle of added euphonic dust to reinforce the emotional side of it. I've heard Jadis once and really liked it. I love my CAT amps. There's a lot of good stuff.

Right now, and I can't say it will never change, my head is into a 'just the facts' approach - especially when it comes to complex symphonic music and I also love the CH sound for solo instruments. Sometimes all I need is the music ... with proper timbre - and no editorializing.

Point is we all listen for different things. Everyone has their audiophile checklist in a different priority order.

But yes, I won't sell my CAT amps anytime soon. In fact, I purchased the M1.1s for the express purpose of 'mixing it up' and even my wife insisted that I keep my CATs. :) It's also one of the reasons I upgraded the preamp and not the CH amps (incidentally I did upgrade my CATs last year).

But I admit I didn't expect to like the CH amps as much as I do!

Yes, I understand the approach. Some of the happiest audiophiles I met are the ones who mix things up/ own multiple systems to suit their needs.

All the best

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Big congratulations to your birthday present. L10 is also on my radar list. So Roy Gregory’s review of 10 series is spot on? Time to update your signature.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
well done Mad Floyd - i love my L10 .... its a total game changer as far as i am concerned when it comes to what preamps can and cant do

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi MadFloyd,
Congrats a new leg of your journey.

A data point: I know a guy with a full out system that has CH in it, with a lot of heavy, good looking boxes and power supplies.

For the first 6 months of acquiring CH boxes , he listened to it a lot to this system. But now he finds it STERILE and MECHANICAL.

As I reported on thread page 3, I found the sound with CH Precision throughly engaging, causing great immersion in the music, and it has very good tonality. It also has very nice flow.

So I could not find anything sterile or mechanical in the sound, on the contrary. As you can see in my signature, I have a very different kind of system, so I am not biased towards Ian's gear.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
As I reported on thread page 3, I found the sound with CH Precision throughly engaging, causing great immersion in the music, and it has very good tonality. It also has very nice flow.

So I could not find anything sterile or mechanical in the sound, on the contrary. As you can see in my signature, I have a very different kind of system, so I am not biased towards Ian's gear.
I think Ceasar's point was more about long term listening (he notes that his colleague was fine at first but reached a different opinion after 6 months). Short doses clearly don't tell the whole story...I am sure you know this.

That is part of why I challenged Peter a bit to give an update on his feelings about the sound after several weeks. It seems he is still perfectly satisfied...which is great for him.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Congrats also from me.
I am happy when some buy CH

I listen in 2015/2016 in the shop of my friend and i was really excited for their sound and my friend after demonstration push me to bring at home to try and i accepted immediatly.
In 6 years never had a small problem and also my friends

I always had top quality tube since 1992,Yamamura,Dissanayake,Shindo,FAL,Audio tekne,ANJ,Kondo, but after tried at home i sold Kondo,that i always love and like a lot,and bought CH.
After 6 years i have i am always excited when i listen,also my 2 friend that had

Attachments

• L1050159.JPG
    L1050159.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 72
  • L1050561.jpg
    L1050561.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 72

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Congrats also from me.

I listen in 2015/2016 in the shop of my friend and i was really excited for their sound and my friend after demonstration push me to bring at home to try and i accepted immediatly.

I always had top quality tube since 1992,Yamamura,Dissanayake,Shindo,FAL,Audio tekne,ANJ,Kondo, but after tried at home i sold Kondo,that i always love and like a lot,and bought CH.
After 6 years i have i am always excited when i listen,also my 2 friend that had
Nice speakers !!!
Could you share brand link?
Regards !!!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Gian, that is one sweet system. I’m sure it sounds amazing too. And the speakers are super cool looking, I’ve never seen them before. As “Stereophonic” asks what is the brand?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Its an Italian company,only owner work,2 hours from my home,named Montagna,owner is Montagna Giorgio

Speaker is a 3 way,with bass box in ergal and carbon fiber,all 3 driver has a Maxalco magnet that is Alnico V with oriented Crystal,high quality membrane,all produced by himself
Efficiency 97 db and can triamp in passive mode.
I usually listen and see in M1 power 1 or 2 peak watt for high efficiency,but also saw with Sheffield drum track 1203 peak watt and with Stevie Ray Vaughan 818 watt peak without any problem,with this speaker with 97 db efficiency
I use M1 in passive biamp
For my personal taste,i never found in my life a better speaker,could be Vox Olimpian,or ALE system 4/5 way,
but speaker are like car or woman,all has own taste

www.hiend.it

Attachments

• L1050352.jpg
    L1050352.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 28
  • L1050348.jpg
    L1050348.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 28
  • L1050340.jpg
    L1050340.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 29

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats also from me.

Which CH components do you have now?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing