My First Sound Presence Deluxe III-Si 4.0 preamp with Paramount Special Edition upgrade

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Looks like a nice preamp.. Lots of them for sale on the used market, always a bad sign not mention the resale is abysmal if you want to sell it.

Well - no there's not any for sale at the moment - not one - so I don't know where you get your information from. Therefore your assumption that "Lots of them for sale on the used market, always a bad sign" is just complete BS. Why make the comment if its not true...

Reactions: Gjo

Bohemian

Mar 16, 2022
There are three on eBay with lots of watchers.

Reactions: skids929

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
There are three on eBay with lots of watchers.

There's only 2 that I can find - 1 in the US - 1 in japan. None on Audiogon or any via Hi Fi Shark which is where I would go searching for Hi Fi gear. Never thought to look at Ebay for HI Fi gear because what is usually on sale is rubbish and/or has a price that is unrealistic.

Bohemian

Mar 16, 2022
One is a passive with nose bleed price on it.

Reactions: skids929

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
My second try. For many folks like me, it is difficult to justify buying a very expensive, limited edition product from a extremely small manufacturer with very limited resources from a personnel and dealer support perspective.

Hello,

For the folks like you ( with whom I am imagining have never seen a First Sound in the flesh, much less have ever had the pleasure of listening to one) I can kind of understand your viewpoint as they are very difficult to be able to see or hear in the wild, so to speak.

However, if a person (and I would say, imho, there are many) that has an understanding of circuit topology, of proper circuit layout/functionality, of what ultra high quality components being used as well as the outstanding build construction that helps reject and reduce vibrations, interference, spurious noise, etc... this would at the very least intrigue a person to investigate this line stage a little more by perhaps giving Emmanual Go a call to discuss his product, to learn more of his design ideology, to know the whys behind what he does and why what he does matters so much and how it truly affects the resulting sound of the signal going thru his line stage. I would think a person would then become even more intrigued and would search out other uses of this line stage to learn why they use it, how long have they have had it, how it compared to other products, how it's reliability has been, etc.... maybe try to find a person who owns one that may live relatively near by and ask if you could come hear theirs... maybe bring yours along to compare. Then maybe, you would be enamored enough to buy one for yourself.

As for not having a dealer network/support. There are many people who buy high end audio gear that have never seen the product in person, nor have heard the product at a dealer, much less in there own system. They simply buy based on glossy magazine ads, or reviews written by paid reviewers, or by reading about them on the various forums. Many of the truly high end products that are being sold via a dealer network can only be found at a very limited number of dealers throughout the country...meaning you would have travel across many states to be able to see or hear one.

Emmanual Go has been in business making these line stages for at least 32 years! That alone speaks volumes to me! He is a genius and a true artist that makes a line stage that will compete with, if not even surpass the very best and most expensive line stages out there. The fact that he doesn't have a middle man (dealer network), means all the money that you pay for this amazing line stage goes for the cost of the parts, labor, research/design of this line stage itself. There is no padding of the dealer network middle man.

Emmanual has a true passion for his line stages. This is all he does. No power amps, no phono stages, no dac's, no speakers... nothing but his pre-amp. And he continually puts all of his knowledge, thoughts, and efforts into making it better and better. Did you know, that you can send back your original line stage from 1992 and he can upgrade that unit to the current 2024 spec line stage that he is producing right now! You don't have to delegate your original line stage to being a door stop or a boat anchor, and have to shell out an exorbitant amount of money on yet another new piece of gear.

In addition to that, if you do need a repair or would like to upgrade it to a more current spec... he is the man that does the work, the man who designed it, the man who has the over 32 years of experience in building it, the man who thinks of and truly loves each one of his pieces as if they were his offspring! And, he does it in a vary timely manner! Versus some large corporate business that doesn't even have the original designer on staff anymore and uses multiple "technicians" off the street.

Emmanual loves his designs, and has a true passion for all things audio and music and is a complete joy to talk with via the phone or email. Always a gentleman, always eager to talk or answer questions about his product and how it may interact with the rest of your system.

So when you consider... the First Sound line stage is an all tube, dual mono design with your choice of external power supplies that not only has a total capacitance of at least 230,000 to well over 578,000 mfd (the Pass X250 amplifier for an example - which is a fantastic amp - only has 200,000 mfd). The First Sound has a frequency range of 5hz - 250khz, is more quiet and more dynamic than many solid state designs, then couple that with a full 3 dimensional sound that conveys the flesh and blood of musicians in a way that I have never heard a solid state line stage do; the extremely high quality parts, design, and build quality... with the extreme reliability of the product, the amazing service/support and appreciation Emmanuel gives to his customers, the fact that you can upgrade the very first one ever made from back in 1992 (without having to toss it into the dumpster) to the current 2024 spec... is it any wonder why his customers feel that his line stage is truly an end-game product?

Well, all of this is how I justified buying mine. I not only consider mine to be an end-game line stage, but also an heirloom piece that I will pass down thru the generations.

P.S. As for the fact that it doesn't have remote controlled volume or selectors.... I don't believe you will ever get the same sound quality from a remote controlled volume/selector as what you will get from the impeccably high quality dual mono discrete resistor volume controls and selectors that you find on the First Sound line stage.

Also, as in actual practice, I never have to adjust the volume controls more than +/- 1 click up or down from my normal volume positions. When I listen to my records I put a post-it note on each cover stating what volume levels I listened to for future reference. I simply adjust the volume according to my notes for each record when placing it on the turntable. By doing so, I never have to get up from my listening chair to adjust the volume once I have dropped the needle. Thus, eliminating any desire "for me" to have a remote control that may degrade the ultimate sound quality that the line stage is capable of producing.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this long winded post... but the above is my humble opinion, a music lover who actually owns, who lives with, who cherishes and truly appreciates what his First Sound line stage contributes to the ultimate listening experience from my audio system.

Best wishes to all,
Don

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
As I age, I feel like I can just say what I think and let the chips fall where they may. This is not appropriate behavior, at times, and I need to be more sensitive to what I say and who I say it to. This is definitely one of those times.
Don't be too hard on yourself... if we're being honest, I think we all may have done the same at various points throughout our life. We are human after all.

Best wishes,
Don

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I love my first sound. I can't imagine ever finding a better preamp. A foundation piece that will never be replaced. It has worked perfect with evey amp I have paired it with.
An amazing feature is the 6922 tube that comes with it cost $40. I have tried $300 Telefunken and Siemens. The stock tube is what I prefer.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
To No Regrets.

Thank you for your personal observations. Your passion and dedication to this hobby and to Emmanual are clearly heartfelt and admirable. I am not a tech driven audio type but I have been a music lover and involved in this hobby (to the best of my financial ability) for four decades. Acoustat, Martin Logan, Conrad Johnson, MBL, Pass Labs, Esoteric, dCs, Luxman, etc. Suffice to say I have been around the block a few times.

Having said that and prior to my retirement, I was a civil engineer. I worked on projects often funded by public, tax payer money. Cost effective / high performance value project materials and a dedication to the responsible expenditure of public funds were my priorities. That life experience impacted my view on many things in life including my perspective on audio gear and the purchase thereof.

As I previously stated, it was inappropriate for me to judge what other folks do to enjoy this wonderful hobby. I am going to simplify my life including the sale of my entire system. My listening habits have evolved and I rarely use it. And I no longer need all the clutter. Over the past several weeks, I have been listening to the iFi Aurora along with a budget streamer and CDP. IMHO, it is quite amazing for what it is and provides me with the means to continue to enjoy this hobby and my connection / love for music. In the end, that is the bottom line. Best.

Last edited:

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
provides me with the means to continue to enjoy this hobby and my connection / love for music. In the end, that is the bottom line.
Amen to that! Connecting with and for the love of music is exactly what it is all about; for you, for me, and I believe for many others too:)

I have been a musician for well over 40 years, playing both the tenor and bass trombone in jazz venues and my montagnana cello in classical settings, and have performed all across the United States.

For me, it's always about the music first. I feel blessed in a way (maybe because of being a musician and having been exposed to so much live music over the decades) that I am able to derive enjoyment from listening to music from something as simple as my own table top vacuum tube radio that was made way back in the late 50's or 60's. It certainly doesn't produce full range, detailed sound... but somehow, my brain knows how the music should sound and it fills in the missing information allowing me to still connect with the music ;)

However, my audio system in my music room allows that connection to be so much stronger, realistic, and so much more breathtakingly enjoyable... it oftentimes gives me goosebumps:D

So, like you... at the end of the day, as long as we can find a way to connect to the music, through whatever vessel it is delivered by, that is indeed what truly matters. I've always believed that music is good for the soul and allows people to come together!

Best wishes to all,
Don

Last edited:
Reactions: facten

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
One is a passive with nose bleed price on it.
Emmanuel started out making a passive. That would be an old preamp. Emmanuel does keep improving. But its not a lightning turn over obsoleting your gear like many other manufacturers.
Emmanuel said that passive was nice. But the active allows for a more fulfilling experience. The passive I have had are what you expect. If someone is all about purity, go for it. I am happy with the pleasurable uphonics the Boulder, Gryphon, Thrax, Audio Research and First Sound preamps bring. I like it. Emmanuels pre competes with any of these for quality and performance. That does not mean the synergy between a manufacturer pairing of amp and pre might not be the best topology. It just means, the Frist Sound plays in that league.

I upgraded 3 time.
The first was a power supply upgrade he created. Great change.
The second time was he called and said he had a second used outoard power supply in his stock and did I want to switch to the true duel mono. I accepted.
Recently I reached out and said I wanted the higher quality signal caps.

All in all I don't think there is a better preamp out there if someone is not using matched equipment. If your a SET enthusiast, this is the preamp for you. I thought the First Sound was a match made in heaven with the Dartzeel 108 model 1 I had. The First Sound was stunning with my CJ Premier 140. It crushed the Airtight, Mcintosh and passive I had onhand. Absolutely obliterated them. And that was the very first Mark3 before any upgrades. Its far better now. It is outstanding with the Found Music Blade and Audion SET 845 I have. I would never change. I could not get better sound. All I would get is a remote control from some other brand. But I have not found that to be a deal breaker.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Hello,

For the folks like you ( with whom I am imagining have never seen a First Sound in the flesh, much less have ever had the pleasure of listening to one) I can kind of understand your viewpoint as they are very difficult to be able to see or hear in the wild, so to speak.

However, if a person (and I would say, imho, there are many) that has an understanding of circuit topology, of proper circuit layout/functionality, of what ultra high quality components being used as well as the outstanding build construction that helps reject and reduce vibrations, interference, spurious noise, etc... this would at the very least intrigue a person to investigate this line stage a little more by perhaps giving Emmanual Go a call to discuss his product, to learn more of his design ideology, to know the whys behind what he does and why what he does matters so much and how it truly affects the resulting sound of the signal going thru his line stage. I would think a person would then become even more intrigued and would search out other uses of this line stage to learn why they use it, how long have they have had it, how it compared to other products, how it's reliability has been, etc.... maybe try to find a person who owns one that may live relatively near by and ask if you could come hear theirs... maybe bring yours along to compare. Then maybe, you would be enamored enough to buy one for yourself.

As for not having a dealer network/support. There are many people who buy high end audio gear that have never seen the product in person, nor have heard the product at a dealer, much less in there own system. They simply buy based on glossy magazine ads, or reviews written by paid reviewers, or by reading about them on the various forums. Many of the truly high end products that are being sold via a dealer network can only be found at a very limited number of dealers throughout the country...meaning you would have travel across many states to be able to see or hear one.

Emmanual Go has been in business making these line stages for at least 32 years! That alone speaks volumes to me! He is a genius and a true artist that makes a line stage that will compete with, if not even surpass the very best and most expensive line stages out there. The fact that he doesn't have a middle man (dealer network), means all the money that you pay for this amazing line stage goes for the cost of the parts, labor, research/design of this line stage itself. There is no padding of the dealer network middle man.

Emmanual has a true passion for his line stages. This is all he does. No power amps, no phono stages, no dac's, no speakers... nothing but his pre-amp. And he continually puts all of his knowledge, thoughts, and efforts into making it better and better. Did you know, that you can send back your original line stage from 1992 and he can upgrade that unit to the current 2024 spec line stage that he is producing right now! You don't have to delegate your original line stage to being a door stop or a boat anchor, and have to shell out an exorbitant amount of money on yet another new piece of gear.

In addition to that, if you do need a repair or would like to upgrade it to a more current spec... he is the man that does the work, the man who designed it, the man who has the over 32 years of experience in building it, the man who thinks of and truly loves each one of his pieces as if they were his offspring! And, he does it in a vary timely manner! Versus some large corporate business that doesn't even have the original designer on staff anymore and uses multiple "technicians" off the street.

Emmanual loves his designs, and has a true passion for all things audio and music and is a complete joy to talk with via the phone or email. Always a gentleman, always eager to talk or answer questions about his product and how it may interact with the rest of your system.

So when you consider... the First Sound line stage is an all tube, dual mono design with your choice of external power supplies that not only has a total capacitance of at least 230,000 to well over 578,000 mfd (the Pass X250 amplifier for an example - which is a fantastic amp - only has 200,000 mfd). The First Sound has a frequency range of 5hz - 250khz, is more quiet and more dynamic than many solid state designs, then couple that with a full 3 dimensional sound that conveys the flesh and blood of musicians in a way that I have never heard a solid state line stage do; the extremely high quality parts, design, and build quality... with the extreme reliability of the product, the amazing service/support and appreciation Emmanuel gives to his customers, the fact that you can upgrade the very first one ever made from back in 1992 (without having to toss it into the dumpster) to the current 2024 spec... is it any wonder why his customers feel that his line stage is truly an end-game product?

Well, all of this is how I justified buying mine. I not only consider mine to be an end-game line stage, but also an heirloom piece that I will pass down thru the generations.

P.S. As for the fact that it doesn't have remote controlled volume or selectors.... I don't believe you will ever get the same sound quality from a remote controlled volume/selector as what you will get from the impeccably high quality dual mono discrete resistor volume controls and selectors that you find on the First Sound line stage.

Also, as in actual practice, I never have to adjust the volume controls more than +/- 1 click up or down from my normal volume positions. When I listen to my records I put a post-it note on each cover stating what volume levels I listened to for future reference. I simply adjust the volume according to my notes for each record when placing it on the turntable. By doing so, I never have to get up from my listening chair to adjust the volume once I have dropped the needle. Thus, eliminating any desire "for me" to have a remote control that may degrade the ultimate sound quality that the line stage is capable of producing.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this long winded post... but the above is my humble opinion, a music lover who actually owns, who lives with, who cherishes and truly appreciates what his First Sound line stage contributes to the ultimate listening experience from my audio system.

Best wishes to all,
Don
Don, I never doubted Emmanue’s passion for his preamp. It’s meticulously built and crafted. At the time I was inquiring about his preamp, the price was $16k+, now probably over $20k inflation adjusted. Although there are diehard fans for his preamp as there are for other bespoke preamps, I like many would not buy a piece of gear without having heard one version of the gear. Most of us have been burned at least a couple of times by glowing reviews of expensive gear by professional reviewers and customers. Not everyone has the same priorities when it comes to sound reproduction, and it’s pain having to sell a gear after you’ve spent over 5 figures to find out the gear doesn’t meet your expectations or is not synergistic with your system. IME, a home audition, if possible, is critical. If a manufacturer or dealer can’t provide that, then it’s a moot point. Of course, there are exceptions, like large speakers or amps weighing several hundred pounds, where a home audition is impractical. And I respectfully disagree with preamp designers who claim a remote volume control will necessarily degrade the sound, as there are plenty references quality high end preamps that have remote. At 5 figure price range, a remote volume control is mandatory IMO, especially if you stream or play from a music server where you’re adjusting volume for each song recorded at different volume levels from different albums. The other worrying aspect with one man manufacturer that no one wishes to bring up is what’s going to happen when the designer is gone. Who will support it if something goes wrong? I commissioned a one man amp designer/manufacturer to build a tube amp after initially deposting $6k to start the build. Well guess what? He unfortunately passed away before he started building the amp, and I was out $6k. This is not a unique experience in high end. Anyways, I wish Emmanuel the best with his preamp.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Well - no there's not any for sale at the moment - not one - so I don't know where you get your information from. Therefore your assumption that "Lots of them for sale on the used market, always a bad sign" is just complete BS. Why make the comment if its not true...
Because it is true. Pretty simple

Reactions: facten

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Because it is true. Pretty simple
Ignore my like I inadvertently clicked on it.

What site(s) are you referencing to support your contention that there are numerous First Sound preamps for sale. I'm like a few other folks and can't see/find what you are referencing. How about posting the links

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Ignore my like I inadvertently clicked on it.

What site(s) are you referencing to support your contention that there are numerous First Sound preamps for sale. I'm like a few other folks and can't see/find what you are referencing. How about posting the links
moved on..

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I'm not here to teach you how to use the internet.

I know how to use the internet and Google results don't support your statement. All you've done is tried to deflect versus answering the question and providing the support for your contention. Not a good look!

Reactions: No Regrets

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I know how to use the internet and Google results don't support your statement. All you've done is tried to deflect versus answering the question due to your inability to support your contention. Not a good look!
Facten, leave it alone. Look at the guys name. Skid!!! Think underwear and immagine how he got the name.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Here are the Firstsound preamps on sale on eBay:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing