My Little Barn

Just curious if either speaker is ported in the back which might effect your CS Port table?

My current loudspeakers are ported in the back. This was one of the drivers for acquiring the Stacore rack with the associated pneumatic isolation platforms. Both the Stenheim and Audionec are also ported in the back but I am not worried at all.

Two pictures of the contenders. I will do a write up in a separate post next weekend.

View attachment 118302

View attachment 118303
[please forgive my poor English]

Having heard those two speakers last week-end, at two distinct shows in the capital, both being powered by DartZeel monoblocks & preamp, I confidently can say that I am 110% sure I know what your final choice will be....

Reactions: XV-1 and Rotatoubib
Reactions: dcc
Definitely one of my favorite rooms. The Merging stack looks cool on the left side of the room. Too bad they won't be building them as they were anymore. Enjoy your new speakers!
@gleeds
Hey Gary, does this mean that Merging is changing their design?

@dcc
Awesome, congrats!

@gleeds
Hey Gary, does this mean that Merging is changing their design?

@dcc
Awesome, congrats!
Following the acquisition of Merging Technologies by Sennheiser, they decided to stop producing the NADAC and to focus on professional products. NADAC is not fully dead as Master Fidelity who had been closely involved in developing the product is taking over http://www.master-fidelity.com/

Merging/Sennheiser continues the client support for the existing NADAC products.

Last edited:
Definitely one of my favorite rooms. The Merging stack looks cool on the left side of the room. Too bad they won't be building them as they were anymore. Enjoy your new speakers!
seeing this picture of the room, approx 9 (?) feet wide, tiles on the floor, bare walls... in front of the right speaker seems to be a staircase, behind the right speaker an alcove. The speakers basically pressed against the side walls.. I tend to disagree :s unless the listening room is somehow acoustically treated in an invisible kind of way

Reactions: djsina2
The room has been treated acoustically following two acoustic studies performed by highly qualified professionals in the field. There are 18 large acoustic panels from SMT and Artnovion placed around the room. See post #78 https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-little-barn.26426/page-4

The room is actually 12 feet wide, 23,3 feet long and almost 17 feet high at the top of the cathedral ceiling. I guess you did not see the huge rug covering the tiles.

Last edited:
The room has been treated acoustically following two acoustic studies performed by highly qualified professionals in the field. There are 18 large acoustic panels from SMT and Artnovion placed around the room. See post #78 https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-little-barn.26426/page-4

The room is actually 12 feet wide, 23,3 feet long and almost 17 feet high at the top of the cathedral ceiling. I guess you did not see the huge rug covering the tiles.
And raw brick is a excellent diffuser and a great foundation for good bass response in my experience ! :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao
And raw brick is a excellent diffuser and a great foundation for good bass response in my experience ! :)
I still remember when I was renovating the house and the general contractor proposed me covering the walls of the barn with plaster like elsewhere in the house.

[please forgive my poor English]

As you wrote earlier in this thread that you favor smaller ensembles,
the Beethoven symphonies on ancient instruments, with smaller-scale orchestra, conducted by Jordi Savall, could be worth listening with your brand new Stenheim Reference Ultime Two loudspeakers. With their super-fast professional woofers, those TERRIFIC speakers should excel in reproducing the finest subtleties of gut strings cellos, along with all their "body and flesh" (I was impressed by the Beethoven cello & piano sonata, by Fournier & Gulda, on modern instruments, at the demo).
I am thinking in particular of cellos with gut strings, in the allegretto of the 7th symphony: that must give you goosebumps, exactly as it did to me yesterday in the concert hall hearing Savall and Le Concert des Nations in Beethoven #7 (and #6). So far, one of the best concerts this season. I did not count the musicians on stage, but it was far from a full-scale modern orchestra.

For general information, Savall and Le Concert des Nations recorded the Beethoven symphonies on ancient instruments in 2022 (Gramophone Record Of The Month), 3 CD/SACD. Not yet bought. Probably well recorded, as always for Savall, who is demanding on technique (recorded in this case by Manuel Mohino, in Cardona, whose acoustics is said to be excellent).
An audiophile buddy (Wilson owner) praises the recording and the interpretation.
Label ALIA VOX AVSA9946.
Reviews on PrestoMusic.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
And raw brick is an excellent diffuser and a great foundation for good bass response in my experience ! :)
Maybe the highest frequencies…

A rug isn’t going to do much, except also for the highest frequencies.

Without bass trapping you must have serious issues in the low frequencies, no ?

did someone ever take an actual measurement with REW ?

Few days ago I was demoing speakers in kind of a similar room. it were the ATC50’s. Cheap speakers compared to what the TS has but oh boy, there were no bass traps and when there was substantial bass in a track it was horrendous to listen to. Droning like crazy.

Funny thing was the owner of the shop didn’t see / hear the issue. He said : it’s supposed to sound that way. He said : if you put a double bass in this room it would sound thesame. To which I replied : why the f***k would you wanna put and actual double bass player in this room ???? It will indeed also sound bad / boomy. I quickly left, flabbergasted, because this was a guy selling high end stuff ( magico and the likes )

Maybe the highest frequencies…

A rug isn’t going to do much, except also for the highest frequencies.

Without bass trapping you must have serious issues in the low frequencies, no ?

did someone ever take an actual measurement with REW ?

Few days ago I was demoing speakers in kind of a similar room. it were the ATC50’s. Cheap speakers compared to what the TS has but oh boy, there were no bass traps and when there was substantial bass in a track it was horrendous to listen to. Droning like crazy.

Funny thing was the owner of the shop didn’t see / hear the issue. He said : it’s supposed to sound that way. He said : if you put a double bass in this room it would sound thesame. To which I replied : why the f***k would you wanna put and actual double bass player in this room ???? It will indeed also sound bad / boomy. I quickly left, flabbergasted, because this was a guy selling high end stuff ( magico and the likes )
If a room has good dimensions, it can sound excellent in the bass region without a lot of trapping. Square rooms often have problems with standing waves.

Reactions: Pokey77
And raw brick is an excellent diffuser and a great foundation for good bass response in my experience ! :)
+1 An unrendered brick wall is a great start… I’ve setup in three different spaces over the last few years, external shiplap hardwood mahogany clad with marine ply interior lining (best looking room), a fibreboard clad external and internally lined space and also a single skin unrendered brick wall. All the rooms had their own challenges but I did get the best tonal balance, bass quality and ultimately best sound in the unrendered brick room.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing