My Little Barn

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

did someone ever take an actual measurement with REW ?

Give me a break...

I already replied that I got support from two professionals for the acoustic treatment (one of them is actually a WBF member).Those guys came with a shitload of equipment for acoustic measurements. These drove the choice of panels and their placement in the room.

And Stenheim is sending one of their engineers in the coming weeks to do it again as this was agreed as part of the purchase process.

If you don't mind, I suggest you create your own thread to report your experience instead of polluting mine. I don't need an armchair quarterback...

Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Congrats on the new speakers! Wishing you many happy hours of listening.

BTW...love the room too!

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
[please forgive my poor English]

As you wrote earlier in this thread that you favor smaller ensembles,
the Beethoven symphonies on ancient instruments, with smaller-scale orchestra, conducted by Jordi Savall, could be worth listening with your brand new Stenheim Reference Ultime Two loudspeakers. With their super-fast woofers, those TERRIFIC speakers should excel in reproducing the finest subtleties of gut strings cellos, along with all their "body and flesh" (I was impressed by the Beethoven cello & piano sonata, by Fournier & Gulda, on modern instruments, at the demo).
I am thinking in particular of cellos with gut strings, in the allegretto of the 7th symphony: that must give you goosebumps, exactly as it did to me yesterday in the concert hall hearing Savall and Le Concert des Nations in Beethoven #7 (and #6). So far, one of the best concerts this season. I did not count the musicians on stage, but it was far from a full-scale modern orchestra.

For general information, Savall and Le Concert des Nations recorded the Beethoven symphonies on ancient instruments in 2022 (Gramophone Record Of The Month), 3 CD/SACD. Not yet bought. Probably well recorded, as always for Savall, who is demanding on technique (recorded in this case by Manuel Mohino, in Cardona, whose acoustics is said to be excellent).
An audiophile buddy (Wilson-equipped) praises the recording and the interpretation.
Label ALIA VOX AVSA9946.
Reviews on PrestoMusic.

Enjoy!

The cello sonatas are among some of my favourite pieces. I have several ones on vinyl, tapes (du Pré/Barenboim) and CDs. I really like the Queyras/Melnikov. BTW, there was a nice article by Nicolas Blanmont in La Libre of this morning about Savall's Beethoven. They are on my list for the coming days.

IMG_0122.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Couple of Beethoven cello sonatas

Reactions: dcc

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

As you wrote earlier in this thread that you favor smaller ensembles,
the Beethoven symphonies on ancient instruments, with smaller-scale orchestra, conducted by Jordi Savall, could be worth listening with your brand new Stenheim Reference Ultime Two loudspeakers. With their super-fast professional woofers, those TERRIFIC speakers should excel in reproducing the finest subtleties of gut strings cellos, along with all their "body and flesh" (I was impressed by the Beethoven cello & piano sonata, by Fournier & Gulda, on modern instruments, at the demo).
I am thinking in particular of cellos with gut strings, in the allegretto of the 7th symphony: that must give you goosebumps, exactly as it did to me yesterday in the concert hall hearing Savall and Le Concert des Nations in Beethoven #7 (and #6). So far, one of the best concerts this season. I did not count the musicians on stage, but it was far from a full-scale modern orchestra.

For general information, Savall and Le Concert des Nations recorded the Beethoven symphonies on ancient instruments in 2022 (Gramophone Record Of The Month), 3 CD/SACD. Not yet bought. Probably well recorded, as always for Savall, who is demanding on technique (recorded in this case by Manuel Mohino, in Cardona, whose acoustics is said to be excellent).
An audiophile buddy (Wilson owner) praises the recording and the interpretation.
Label ALIA VOX AVSA9946.
Reviews on PrestoMusic.

Enjoy!
Was just listening to Savall's Beethoven Symphonies over the holidays! Then the Karajan '63 back to back. I really like the Savall and what it brings to the music. Must have been great to hear live!

Reactions: orfeo_monteverdi

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
I've been following this system from afar for quite some time. Wonderful system.

I have been following this system closely since recently.

I had the (unexpected) pleasure to listen to it attentively last weekend (dcc and I had never met before): original vinyls, SACD, tapes on the Studer A80.
Terrific system. Gobsmacking loudspeakers. (And superb listening room.)

(Rostropovitch & Britten in Schubert's Arpeggione sonata, original vinyl on the CSPort turntable...OMG.
Mozart piano concerto #20, piano Clifford Curzon, tape read by the Studer A80...OMG².
As a great music lover, dcc owns musical treasures.
Back home I dug out my copy of the Arpeggione sonata by Rostropovitch & Britten. It's a "The Originals". An original vinyl? Not really: a...CD from DG's The Originals collection, 2007. Hmmm, not really the same thing.​
-Recording: 1968​
-Recording engineer: Gordon Parry​
-Remastering 24bits/96KHz: Andrew Wedman (date unknown, but probably 2007; it seems that the tool used removed some hiss, but also some life in the sound - recent remasterings, of other works, avoid this pitfall, i.a.: Tosca, Callas, 2017; Wagner, The Ring, Solti, 2022).​
I will try to find an original vinyl copy in good condition.​
Would have been fun to shortly compare the original vinyl with "The Originals"...CD.​
)

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hi Orfeo,

It was a pleasure meeting you.

Regarding the sonata for Arpeggione and Piano, we listened to the UK original pressing (left). I also have a Dutch original pressing (middle with a red dot) as well as an audiophile reissue by Analogphonic (right).

Whereas the differences between the original UK and Dutch pressings are subtle with a slight preference for the UK pressing. The Analogphonic reissue really pales against the originals. So you know which version you need to look for.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The middle and the right are compares of the Rostropovich Arpeggione and Daniel Shafran

000C0ED9-255B-4D9D-821D-E50DC3BBB13E.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also have compared this to a harmonia mundi (nice recording but not as good a performance) and another Shafran. The Rostropovich is quite better.

Tang had done a video on the Rostropovich Holland pressing Vs Shafran

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will try to find an original vinyl copy in good condition.​

the original broadband can go as high as 2000. look for the narrow band you might get it for 250 to 350

Reactions: orfeo_monteverdi

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
These forum and thread are unbelievable: suddenly, versions galore, and recording comparisons with Cessaro horns speakers :)
A pleasure to meet you too, dcc :) (I know you are super-busy, but, I repeat myself, if Janine Jansen - who plays with the Stradivarius which belonged to Nathan Milstein - comes in our village, dare to ask for a leave again...)

The next "big experience" I will have will be the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Riccardo Muti, next week.

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
François from Ana Mighty Sound paid me a visit.

He brought the two pairs of 4 meter long Hemingway Audio Z-core Beta loudspeaker cables I ordered when the Stenheim loudspeakers got delivered.

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5742.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpeg
As I had his demo pairs until mines got delivered, I can confirm that these are the best loudspeaker cables I have had the chance to listen to. Though they are not cheap, they are transparent and totally neutral. The match with the Stenheim Reference Ultime Two is excellent.

The cantilever of my MSL Signature Platinum went south (the cartridge is already in Japan for a retipping). I thought it was the opportunity to acquire a new cartridge.

Last year, I did a lot of comparisons of MC cartridges with the linear tracking tonearm where the MSL Signature Platinum came first followed by the Phasemation PP-2000 (I am leaving the PP-5000 on the side). I therefore purchased a PP-2000 which got professionally set up on the SAT tonearm. This combo is pure bliss. Maybe not as energetic and fast as the MSL but really engaging with a wonderful midrange. Ultimately and when I get the MSL back from Japan, I am considering leaving the PP-2000 on the SAT tonearm and setting up the MSL on the linear tracking tonearm.

IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg
François took the opportunity to dismantle the CSPort TAT1 M2 turntable. The bearing got cleaned and oiled. The air flow got recalibrated as well as the alignment of the two tonearms and cartridges with Analog Magik.

Finally, he proposed me to send back the Thrax Libra preamp to the factory for a update. This will be done free of charge by Thrax. In the meantime, he loaned me his demo unit.

IMG_5737.jpeg IMG_5758.jpeg

He also brought Jérôme Sabbagh's last vinyl that I ordered a while ago and that Jérôme dropped during his last visit in Paris. I can now compare it against the tapes that I already got a while ago.

IMG_5751.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Do you think there might be anything to be had by isolating the three tier Phasemation phono/step up boxes individually? Instead of them stacking directly on top of each other?

Reactions: bonzo75

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
No. The most important is to isolate all the units from the power supplies that are placed behind the rack. And anyway, I don't have enough room on the rack to consider another option. IMG_4842.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
These forum and thread are unbelievable: suddenly, versions galore, and recording comparisons with Cessaro horns speakers :)
A pleasure to meet you too, dcc :) (I know you are super-busy, but, I repeat myself, if Janine Jansen - who plays with the Stradivarius which belonged to Nathan Milstein - comes in our village, dare to ask for a leave again...)

The next "big experience" I will have will be the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Riccardo Muti, next week.

here is one more Arpeggione for you, from Emanuelle Feurmann on an inexpensive repress

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Denis congratulations on your new speakers, your system and barn rocks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing