My Little Barn

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
CSPort has developed a brand new motor for my TAT1 M2 turntable. Not only the new motor is dead silent but it also provides more torque as well as an improved speed stability as shown on my Roadrunner. The soundstage is even better with an increased sense of rythmn.

View attachment 106540

I had the chance to compare the new Phasemation PP-5000 cartridge against the My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum.

View attachment 106541

I requested François, from Ana Mighty Sound, to bring a second pair of Phasemation T-2000 SUT so we could make direct comparison between these two cartridges and my Transfiguration Proteus Diamond.

View attachment 106542

We mounted the PP-5000 and the MSL on the SAT LM-12 tonearm.

The PP-5000 is fitted with a diamond cantilever like my Proteus D. Its sonic signature is similar to the Proteus D though it provides a wider soundstage with more transparency. The MSL Platinum Signature is more energetic and somehow rougher than the PP-5000.

View attachment 106543

View attachment 106544

Should I only have one cartridge, the PP-5000 would be definitely the one I would take. However because of its similar sonic signature with the Proteus D, my choice of second cartridge is the MSL Signature Platinum. Should I replace the Proteus D, the PP-5000 will definitely be the cartridge I would pick.

View attachment 106545

View attachment 106546

This comparative listening session has convinced me to replace the Consolidated Audio Silver SUT by a second pair of Phasemation T-2000 which should arrive soon.
nice video of your set up:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
focusing on the Phasemation PP-5000 cartridge and the Phasemation EA-2000/T-2000 combo
The PP-5000 ist currently my favorite cart on the EA-2000. Even only paired with Glanz MH-124s it is able to outperform an Aidas Mammoth on Kuzma SAFIR 9 . Two other diamond cantilever carts are ordered, so I am looking forward to hear,
if the Ikeda Akiko or the Audio Technica AT-MC2022 will play in the same league or even better.

It was important for me, that in your set up the PP-5000 has worked in the SAT LM tonearm,
as I never tried an Phasemation cart on a mid weight tonearm, mostly heavy to very heavy tonearms

I love the look and feel of the SAT LM tonearms and the LM-09 might become an alternative for me as well.

Reactions: bonzo75

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The PP-5000 ist currently my favorite cart on the EA-2000. Even only paired with Glanz MH-124s it is able to outperform an Aidas Mammoth on Kuzma SAFIR 9 . Two other diamond cantilever carts are ordered, so I am looking forward to hear,
if the Ikeda Akiko or the Audio Technica AT-MC2022 will play in the same league or even better.

It was important for me, that in your set up the PP-5000 has worked in the SAT LM tonearm,
as I never tried an Phasemation cart on a mid weight tonearm, mostly heavy to very heavy tonearms

I love the look and feel of the SAT LM tonearms and the LM-09 might become an alternative for me as well.

François just tested the PP-5000 on my former SAT LM-09 mounted on a Dohmann Helix 1. He felt that it was not the perfect match compared to the listening sessions we had at my place with LM-12 where the PP-5000 was very impressive. He found that the MSL Signature Platinum was a better match with the LM-09.

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
François just tested the PP-5000 on my former SAT LM-09 mounted on a Dohmann Helix 1. He felt that it was not the perfect match compared to the listening sessions we had at my place with LM-12 where the PP-5000 was very impressive. He found that the MSL Signature Platinum was a better match with the LM-09.
thank you for sharing, very helpful.
Than I might stay with Glanz for PP-5000, using the dedicated new Phasemation headshell.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
CSPort went the extra mile and has delivered beyond my expectations. Since they issued the TAT1 M2 that I acquired in late 2022, they developed an improved air bearing and a new motor which were retrofitted at no extra cost.
Can you please explain what you mean whit "New Air Bearing"?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Can you please explain what you mean whit "New Air Bearing"?

I received one of the first M2 versions of the TAT1. I understand from my conversation with Ana Mghty Sound, the French CSPort distributor, that the air bearing of the M2 was slightly different than the one fitted on the previous version. CSPort discovered that the air flow on this revised air bearing could actually be further improved and they shipped a newly designed air bearing to Ana Mighty Sound which was retroffited on my turntable.

Reactions: amadeus

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The second pair of Phasemation T-2000 step up transformers has been delivered. The match with the Proteus Transfiguration D is fantastic and allows the cartridge to shine to its fullest.

B332F61A-99C9-4E2F-975B-54D8AF38EA9C.jpeg

2BFECF06-100B-409F-B8D4-B5F210749AAE.jpeg

3EE72374-8B40-479A-A61A-952E2444896E.jpeg

Following the positive feedback from some members on the Revelation Audio Labs umbilicals, I ordered a pair of Cryo Silver Reference for my Phasemation EA-2000 which I hope receiving soon.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Following the positive feedback from some members on the Revelation Audio Labs umbilicals, I ordered a pair of Cryo Silver Reference for my Phasemation EA-2000 which I hope receiving soon.
did the same :)

Reactions: dcc

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Have you already received your cables?

I am still waiting... and Brad stopped responding or sending any updates .

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Not yet. I just received an USPS shipping notification but the cables have not been picked up yet.
ok, same status.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

The Revelation Audio Labs umbilicals sound very different to the stock cables. Deeper tighter bass, better extension, loses a little of the density of the stock cables.
They have the exact same locking connectors as the Phasemation which is very cool.

I will be interested to read what you and Shakti hear after insertion and settling.

yea, Brad is extremely slow and he creates the USPS tracking # well before he ships the cables. Just sit tight, as he will ship them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The Revelation Audio Labs umbilicals have landed yesterday. They are gently settling in. It is too early to draw some final conclusions but the first comparative listening sessions have revealed an increased transparency with tighter bass.

IMG_5016.jpeg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Revelation Audio Labs umbilicals have landed yesterday. They are gently settling in. It is too early to draw some final conclusions but the first comparative listening sessions have revealed an increased transparency with tighter bass.
still waiting...,

looking forward to share my experience

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Thanks to François from Ana Mighty Sound, I had the chance to listen to the two versions of the pre-production darTZeel cartridges in my system - no pictures allowed ;-) These were adapted to normal phonostages. The final version of the darTZeel cartridges will have lower output impedance, implying a much lower output voltage that only darTZeel phono stages will properly handle.

The cartridges have identical specs except for the cantilever (ruby and diamond) and the stylus shape.

Both cartridges were fitted with a Phasemation CS-1000 headshell and Elpispandora headshell leads. They were consecutively mounted on the CSPort linear tracking tonearm.

We compared the cartridges against my MSL Signature Platinum that is mounted on the SAT tonearm.

I preferred the diamond version over the ruby one. The tight bass, the tonal balance and the soundstage were impressive and were superior to the recently auditioned Phasemation PP-5000. I only had a minor reservation with a subjective feeling that the MSL had more "meat" but this may be due to the fact the cartridges still need to break in as they only been played a few hours.

I truly enjoyed the listening session and I am confident that those who will acquire the darTZeel cartridge and phono stage combo are for a treat that will knock their socks off

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks to François from Ana Mighty Sound, I had the chance to listen to the two versions of the pre-production darTZeel cartridges in my system - no pictures allowed ;-) These were adapted to normal phonostages. The final version of the darTZeel cartridges will have lower output impedance, implying a much lower output voltage that only darTZeel phono stages will properly handle.

The cartridges have identical specs except for the cantilever (ruby and diamond) and the stylus shape.

Both cartridges were fitted with a Phasemation CS-1000 headshell and Elpispandora headshell leads. They were consecutively mounted on the CSPort linear tracking tonearm.

We compared the cartridges against my MSL Signature Platinum that is mounted on the SAT tonearm.

I preferred the diamond version over the ruby one. The tight bass, the tonal balance and the soundstage were impressive and were superior to the recently auditioned Phasemation PP-5000. I only had a minor reservation with a subjective feeling that the MSL had more "meat" but this may be due to the fact the cartridges still need to break in as they only been played a few hours.

I truly enjoyed the listening session and I am confident that those who will acquire the darTZeel cartridge and phono stage combo are for a treat that will knock their socks off
thanks dcc. exciting now to have feedback for the darTZeel cartridges in a known system with a known reference. obviously i own the same CS Port linear tracking tone arm. and your comments about the compare of the two other top level cartridges helps. those are heady company. these must be very special.

next week i will be at the SoCal audio show where Herve Delatraz of darTZeel will show both the 'Founder Series' cartridges, not sure whether they are like the one's you heard, or the 'final' version. also in the system will be a new limited edition of the Durand Tosca LE Flagship tonearm, which is a significant upgrade over my 2 standard Durand Tosca tonearms. i've not personally heard this version of the Tosca yet.

between the dart carts and the new Tosca i'm really looking forward to that show.

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I am lucky having a knowledgeable technician who takes care of my two tape decks. The Studer A80 RC recently came back from a periodic maintenance.

IMG_5093.jpeg

The dashpots have been reconditioned by Audio House. One of the motors was showing some odd behaviours. I have several fully overhauled spare motors and the replacement was done in a breeze. The opto switches of the command keyboard were swapped against new ones. My tech fully realigned the transport mechanics and electronics. He took the opportunity for upgrading some cards as well.

IMG_5033.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg

01 Clavier Studer A80.jpeg

Listening to tapes on a well calibrated master recorder with upgraded repro electronics is just a great experience. A WBF member recently paid me a visit and we mainly listened to tapes. This has convinced him to return to that medium.

IMG_5097.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing