My Little Barn

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
As someone that sees a fair amount of systems, it is wonderful to see how careful planning and attention to detail can yield a great-sounding and beautiful-looking system (especially in a smaller room). System organization is an art, and in this way, this is one of my favorite examples. The room looks organic and cozy too. Thanks for sharing.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I hope its Ok that I resurected this. Your system is fantastic. Quality products put together with obvious thought. I hope you live another 100 years to enjoy it.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have been following this thread since its inception and really think it would be a great room to visit someday. The room has a great vibe with great kit.

Reactions: Pokey77 and dcc

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Many thanks for the kind comments. As my living/listening room is rather small, it could not host my vinyl and tape collection. It is stored in an adjacent area. I have a small bookshelf in the listening room where I bring the LPs and tapes I want to listen to.

Actually, it is the secondary system that went through a much bigger upgrade than the main system. In the coming weeks, I will provide some update on that front.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Many thanks for the kind comments. As my living/listening room is rather small, it could not host my vinyl and tape collection. It is stored in an adjacent area. I have a small bookshelf in the listening room where I bring the LPs and tapes I want to listen to.

Actually, it is the secondary system that went through a much bigger upgrade than the main system. In the coming weeks, I will provide some update on that front.
that is awesome

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
With my new analog rig, I had to rearrange the main system. I created a dedicated post on the new analog setup https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...nd-the-phasemation-ea-2000-phono-stage.35909/

The Merging Technologies NADAC combo migrated to the small rack which incorporates a Stacore Roller platform instead of the Taiko Daiza that has moved upstairs.

2818F286-E27F-4D23-A279-3AE4F86B6501.jpeg

The TAD player has moved back into the main rack whereas the new turntable and the new phono stage are sitting on the top platforms. The Brinkmann Balance is gone. I kept the Allnic phono stage which is now being used in the secondary system.

0EA4267E-D706-4816-8C59-B8243C56079B.jpeg

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This continues to be one of my favorite threads to follow!
Some day if I find myself wandering around (insert your country here) I would love to listen and take in the nature views.
For giggles I went back to post #1 and wow what an evolution!

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
It has been a while since I gave an update on the little barn. I will only cover the main system though there have been some changes in the secondary system, and I even built a small office system.

I previously mentioned that I was looking at improving the playing and streaming of high-resolution files. I still have a TAD D600 for playing CDs and SACDs, but I wanted to replace the Weiss 501 DAC and the ageing Aurender server. The Weiss was purchased for my secondary system but stayed in the main system until finding my « ultimate digital rig ».

I wanted something relatively compact and remain within a « reasonable budget ». Breaking the bank was not an option unless telling my two kids that I would stop supporting them in their final years of graduate school.

I considered two options: one comprising a more recent Aurender server combined to a better DAC, and one built around a Roon Core. As the Weiss 501 DAC and my office system’s Naim Uniti Atom are both Roon ready, this is an option I wanted to explore.

After many auditions at B&M stores and at friends’ places, I retained two solutions for a thorough home audition:

1 - The Aurender N20 server with the most recent version of the Thrax Maximinus DAC. According to the local Thrax and MSB distributor, the Maximinus is a serious contender against the MSB Reference DAC. As I have a Thrax Libra preamp, he recommended the Thrax Maximinus over the MSB Reference DAC for better synergies.

2 - The Merging Technologies combo comprising the NADAC+Player, the separate power supply, and the clock. The NADAC+Player is a DAC which integrates a Roon player.

I carefully selected high quality cables (PC, interconnect, digital and ethernet) to ensure a fair confrontation.

Both solutions were much better than my current one.

When using my old Aurender server, the Thrax Maximinus DAC was intrinsically better than the Weiss DAC. With the Aurender N20, listening to high resolution files stored on an internal SSD was a major step up compared to the modified X100L with its big external LPS.

I thought I had reached the pinnacle, but the Merging Technologies combo was even better by a wide margin. I know that the wording « natural sound » raises eyebrows with some members but this is exactly what I am feeling when listening to the Merging Technologies setup. The clock plays an important role. Replacing the standard BNC cable by a SOtM clock cable brought some improvement. The same happened by adding a full specced SOtM switch with its external power supply and clock synchronization.

I also discovered Roon which I find much better than the Aurender Conductor app.

The high-resolution files are stored on a SSD directly connected to the NADAC+Player whereas the CD rips are stored on the SSD of a Nami Uniti Core server located in my study. The Weiss DAC has moved to the secondary system. I have now a seamless Roon ecosystem in the house.

As the Merging Combo moved in the Stacore custom rack, the TAD player is on a Daiza platform sitting on small custom rack that hosts the power supply for the preamp. A pair of 4 meters long Argento Flow XLR interconnect cables as well as a 4 meters long Signal Project Ultraviolet AES EBU cable are connecting the TAD to the preamp and the NADAC respectively.

There are some other changes that took place (room treatment and analog front end) but that will be for another instalment.
Congratulations Denis! I am in complete awe with your dedication to analog and digital systems. What an incredible achievement!!! I switched to Merging trio back in 2021 and concur with your assessment, NADAC trio brings realism and transparency of highest order and presents an ultimate path to hear music precisely as it was recorded and mastered by the sound engineers. The addition of +CLOCK stirs emotions unlike anything I’ve experienced before….the music touches your heart with the purity of the sound.

The +CLOCK was equally profound on my N20 (clocked by 10MHz signal). I am now considering N30SA or W20SE as my next upgrade, at some point I am going to audition both streamers with +CLOCK. Which version of +CLOCK you chose… L or U clock?

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
This continues to be one of my favorite threads to follow!
Some day if I find myself wandering around (insert your country here) I would love to listen and take in the nature views.
For giggles I went back to post #1 and wow what an evolution!
Just Google for the location where to get the best waffles, beer and chocolate and you'll know where to find me;)

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The +CLOCK was equally profound on my N20 (clocked by 10MHz signal). I am now considering N30SA or W20SE as my next upgrade, at some point I am going to audition both streamers with +CLOCK. Which version of +CLOCK you choose… L or U clock?

I took the L clock. I still have some trouble justifying plunking a large sum of money on digital whereas I have a higher cap for analog as the latter is the medium I am listening the most (vinyl and tapes). I reckon that since I acquired the NADAC combo, I have been listening to digital much more and I am really enjoying it.

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
I took the L clock. I still have some trouble justifying plunking a large sum of money on digital whereas I have a higher cap for analog as the latter is the medium I am listening the most (vinyl and tapes). I reckon that since I acquired the NADAC combo, I have been listening to digital much more and I am really enjoying it.
That’s quite understandable as you have much more $$$$ vested in Analog. I never thought I could give up on my TT but that changed after acquiring NADAC combo. I plan to upgrade my +CLOCK to U level once I am settled with W20SE or N30SA. BTW, I am using Telegartner M12 Switch Gold with JCAT Optimo 3 DUO LPS ahead of Merging combo.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I am using the SOtM sNH-10G with all the options and the separate SOtM sPS-500 power supply. The switch is synchronised with the L Clock.

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
I am using the SOtM sNH-10G with all the options and the separate SOtM sPS-500 power supply. The switch is synchronised with the L Clock.
I did notice the SoTM switch in your pictures…I‘ve been thinking about trying the SoTM switch with the sCLK-EX (internal clock) and 10 MHz master clock connector. Still on the fence as I do not know how much of an improvement SoTM would be over my Telegartner M12, which is universally praised as one of the best Ethernet switch for audio. When I spoke to SoTM, they suggested using three SoTM switches (one with master clock input and two switches without master clock) in line array configuration for best outcome. I thought that was pretty crazy and bit discouraging to even bother with it.

If I may ask, what other switches you‘ve used in your system before settling with SoTM switch. Do you hear day and night difference with SoTM switch when slaved to +CLOCK ?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The other switch I have and that I am still using for my system upstairs is custom made by a French Technician (Reddo Audio - no website). It is a one box solution which incorporates a very good LPS. It is of the same level as the basic SOtM for a cheaper price.

There is indeed a difference when the SOtM switch is connected to the clock. I made the test several times and I could hear it. It is subtle. I got a bigger difference when I swapped the stock BNC cable supplied by NADAC for the clock by a top of the line SOtM BNC cable.

I am tempted to acquire a second basic SOtM switch for a daisy chain configuration. My SOtM LPS came with a DC cable allowing to feed two switches.

Reactions: zebo67

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
The other switch I have and that I am still using for my system upstairs is custom made by a French Technician (Reddo Audio - no website). It is a one box solution which incorporates a very good LPS. It is of the same level as the basic SOtM for a cheaper price.

There is indeed a difference when the SOtM switch is connected to the clock. I made the test several times and I could hear it. It is subtle. I got a bigger difference when I swapped the stock BNC cable supplied by NADAC for the clock by a top of the line SOtM BNC cable.

I am tempted to acquire a second basic SOtM switch for a daisy chain configuration. My SOtM LPS came with a DC cable allowing to feed two switches.
That’s what I suspected and it was confirmed by another user of SoTM switch with external master clock (Mutec Ref 10 SE). The difference was there but subtle. He end up going with Melco switch with Pink Faun OCXO clock / internal wiring upgrade that yielded much better performance in his system. The cost of this upgrade was much higher but worth every penny. And I concur with you on BNC cable upgrade, I had the similar experience when I swapped stock cable to Acrolink BNC cable. There is this rich tonality across the board. The bass and treble response further improved to reference-level, and the midrange is fully articulated and colorful. I was immediately struck by how all concepts of imaging and staging were redefined. The performers took on a palpable body, with noticeable air around and behind the performer. I couldn’t believe a BNC cable could have this much profound impact in this particular application.

Reactions: Pokey77

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
CSPort has developed a brand new motor for my TAT1 M2 turntable. Not only the new motor is dead silent but it also provides more torque as well as an improved speed stability as shown on my Roadrunner. The soundstage is even better with an increased sense of rythmn.

189A7FA9-7103-4BBA-AC18-DFCC05EF0903.jpeg

I had the chance to compare the new Phasemation PP-5000 cartridge against the My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum.

7FCAAE24-7155-482D-BBE9-5160B1F1848E.jpeg

I requested François, from Ana Mighty Sound, to bring a second pair of Phasemation T-2000 SUT so we could make direct comparison between these two cartridges and my Transfiguration Proteus Diamond.

88B3E7A8-DA1E-4104-A2A8-68038A921CC2.jpeg

We mounted the PP-5000 and the MSL on the SAT LM-12 tonearm.

The PP-5000 is fitted with a diamond cantilever like my Proteus D. Its sonic signature is similar to the Proteus D though it provides a wider soundstage with more transparency. The MSL Platinum Signature is more energetic and somehow rougher than the PP-5000.

6C620862-F59B-4A8F-816E-9D47C409E1F5.jpeg

B43DECCB-F17F-4429-96EB-0ED60800AC97.jpeg

Should I only have one cartridge, the PP-5000 would be definitely the one I would take. However because of its similar sonic signature with the Proteus D, my choice of second cartridge is the MSL Signature Platinum. Should I replace the Proteus D, the PP-5000 will definitely be the cartridge I would pick.

5E7A0608-5A61-4493-91DC-9730824C2A65.jpeg

64B7F823-606B-4F74-9D7B-0CAFA9BF987E.jpeg

This comparative listening session has convinced me to replace the Consolidated Audio Silver SUT by a second pair of Phasemation T-2000 which should arrive soon.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Does the new motor/power supply have any sort of automatic standby and power off? When I emailed them probably a year ago mentioning I missed this from my TechDAS they said they were working on it.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
CSPort has developed a brand new motor for my TAT1 M2 turntable. Not only the new motor is dead silent but it also provides more torque as well as an improved speed stability as shown on my Roadrunner. The soundstage is even better with a increased sense of rythmn.

View attachment 106540

I had the chance to compare the new Phasemation PP-5000 cartridge against the My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum.

View attachment 106541

I requested François, from Ana Mighty Sound, to bring a second pair of Phasemation T-2000 SUT so we could make direct comparison between these two cartridges and my Transfiguration Proteus Diamond.

View attachment 106542

We mounted the PP-5000 and the MSL on the SAT LM-12 tonearm.

The PP-5000 is fitted with a diamond cantilever like my Proteus D. Its sonic signature is similar to the Proteus D though it provides a wider soundstage with more transparency. The MSL Platinum Signature is more energetic and somehow a more rough than the PP-5000.

View attachment 106543

View attachment 106544

Should I only have one cartridge, the PP-5000 would be definitely the one I would take. However because of its similar sonic signature with the Proteus D, my choice of second cartridge is the MSL Signature Platinum. Should I replace the Proteus D, the PP-5000 will definitely be the cartridge I would pick.

View attachment 106545

View attachment 106546

This comparative listening session has convinced me to replace the Consolidate Audio Silver SUT by a second pair of Phasemation T-2000 which should arrive soon.

At that level, how do you tell if it's gone from "the most incredible thing I've ever heard" to "even better than the most incredible thing I've ever heard"? I ask because I have no doubt your system before the change would be the most incredible thing I ever heard by a mile! Just fantastic. Thanks so much for the photos!

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
CSPort went the extra mile and has delivered beyond my expectations. Since they issued the TAT1 M2 that I acquired in late 2022, they developed an improved air bearing and a new motor which were retrofitted at no extra cost.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Does the new motor/power supply have any sort of automatic standby and power off? When I emailed them probably a year ago mentioning I missed this from my TechDAS they said they were working on it.

No and I don't mind as I tend to leave it on from morning to evening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing