My new article on the WAMM Master Chronosonic Demo

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yesterday it was the farewell session to the WAMM's at Imacustica, our Wilson Audio distributor. IMHO the system was sounding better than in the first session - before lunch I could listen to some of my favorites, including the CD of Bartok piano concertos (Géza Anda / Ferenc Fricsay) . At the afternoon I joined a few people listening mainly to opera and big orchestral music with the DCS Vivaldi , including an impressive piece from La damnation de Faust (von Stade, Riegel, van Dam, Solti) . Again, the presence of the singers, the absence of any grain on the voices and the contrast between stage and orchestra layers was impressive. Some jazz was also played in the Airforce One with the SAT fitted with the TechDAS Titanium - a great combo.

After this session we switched amplifiers to another pair of big amplifiers and preamplifier, but unfortunately perhaps for a too short time - I will not tell which, it would be unfair, as they were not allowed to warm-up conveniently - but it only confirmed to me how exceptional are the D'Agostino Relentless and the new D'Agostino preamplifier!

I also profited of the occasion the check informally for the effect of the Vivaldi clock in the DCS Vivaldi one - IMHO the same way the WAMM should not be sold without the MASTER subs, the Vivaldi should not be sold without the separate clock! Bass, air , fluidity and easiness increased considerably with the clock.

The WAMM's are now being packed - surely leaving many broken hearts in the local music lover community of the Imacustica and Wilson Audio friends ... :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
i think to generalize about how unlimited bass extension works in every system is wrong thinking.....but i agree with what you are referring to often happens adding subs.

the question is always degrees of execution. and in my personal experience having considerable headroom in bass extension and dynamics in a completely purpose designed integrated system allows that low octave capability to serve the music, and not be something apart.

of course, this is much, much more than gear plunked down and connected. it's years and years of effort to get this result. but......and this is a big but.........it does start out with a completely integrated original design. nothing grafted on or somehow compromised.

i suspect you would not have any sense of some sort of tiring distraction from my low octave performance......it would be part of the natural musical completeness.

On re-reading I did rather paint with a too broad brush Mike and so should qualify... yes, the best implemented sub is such an epic thing. A mate is also capable of pulling off the truly integrated sub thing and it is the work of the perfectionist. The best outcomes are utterly musical. It’s probably why I keep revisiting the issue and have then tried quite a few over the years but still haven’t signed on to go forwards with the subs frontier of system development.

I also should qualify that part of this is a sensitivity to sub and infrasonics that does run in the genes. Poor implementations do my head in a bit. My cousin is at the toughest end of spectrum and has profound autism and is also triggered by his hypersensitivity to specific low frequency harmonics (hyperacusis) which sees him having fits sometimes when exposed to some subsonics. Sometimes even distant airplane and helicopter noises trigger him but also by some household noises given off like old noisy fridge motors can leave him anxious and sometimes even overwhelmed. It is something of a family thing but thankfully nowhere near that level for the rest of us.

But I do figure we’re all here in the audiophile spectrum... probably because of our various hearing and musical sensibilities and sensitivities. Longer term listening to poorly implemented or overdriven subs is no less ultimately disturbing than abysmal music taste or a screeching tweeter sessions.

Best implemented gear is usually truly sensitivity free and I am sure by all the accounts of your setup there’d be zero pain and only much joy for me there.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yesterday it was the farewell session to the WAMM's at Imacustica, our Wilson Audio distributor. IMHO the system was sounding better than in the first session - before lunch I could listen to some of my favorites, including the CD of Bartok piano concertos (Géza Anda / Ferenc Fricsay) . At the afternoon I joined a few people listening mainly to opera and big orchestral music with the DCS Vivaldi , including an impressive piece from La damnation de Faust (von Stade, Riegel, van Dam, Solti) . Again, the presence of the singers, the absence of any grain on the voices and the contrast between stage and orchestra layers was impressive. Some jazz was also played in the Airforce One with the SAT fitted with the TechDAS Titanium - a great combo.

After this session we switched amplifiers to another pair of big amplifiers and preamplifier, but unfortunately perhaps for a too short time - I will not tell which, it would be unfair, as they were not allowed to warm-up conveniently - but it only confirmed to me how exceptional are the D'Agostino Relentless and the new D'Agostino preamplifier!

I also profited of the occasion the check informally for the effect of the Vivaldi clock in the DCS Vivaldi one - IMHO the same way the WAMM should not be sold without the MASTER subs, the Vivaldi should not be sold without the separate clock! Bass, air , fluidity and easiness increased considerably with the clock.

The WAMM's are now being packed - surely leaving many broken hearts in the local music lover community of the Imacustica and Wilson Audio friends ... :)
You already have the DCS. I would love to hear you end your audio journey with the WAMM with the MASTER subs.

Kind regards,
Tang

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Crazy easy question about the Relentless Amplifier. In the specification sheet it says weight of 570 lbs. Is that for a single unit or is it 285 lbs per unit with a combined weight of 570lbs?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Per unit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Another great article about the WAMM's. This one is particularly interesting as it describes them in an average size room designed by Bob Hodas, known for many audiophile rooms, but also for professional studios.
It looks I am not the only one who had to take a breath and re-think his views on this hobby after listening to the WAMM's! See https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-wilson-wamm-master-chronosonic

Reactions: asiufy

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yesterday it was the farewell session to the WAMM's at Imacustica, our Wilson Audio distributor.

You've heard so many systems over the years and yet no pictures whatsoever... Surely would be nice...

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When they left Lisbon, the WAMM's went to France. I had heard about an adventurous trip, but only now I have noticed the details about the session in France in an enjoyable article by Roy Gregory in Audiobeat . http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/ead_wamm_mc.htm

Reactions: ALF

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
When they left Lisbon, the WAMM's went to France. I had heard about an adventurous trip, but only now I have noticed the details about the session in France in an enjoyable article by Roy Gregory in Audiobeat . http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/ead_wamm_mc.htm
Hello All Wilson Speaker Owners,

It's said in the above TheAudioBeat rwport that :
"... Second, the pairs of padding resistors that sit beneath the glass panel on the rear of the speaker’s superstructure needed to be replaced with new components, in case they’ve been overdriven in use -- a not unlikely scenario, given the speakers’ busy schedule of presentations and shows. This last change was frankly astonishing, bringing a significant increase in dynamic range, focus and transparency -- and one that meant that as soon as I got home, swapping out the resistors on the Alexx was a priority ..."

These padding resistors got a limited lifespan and need regular replacement?

Pls share your knowledge and experience.
Many thanks!

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

"... Second, the pairs of padding resistors that sit beneath the glass panel on the rear of the speaker’s superstructure needed to be replaced with new components, in case they’ve been overdriven in use -- a not unlikely scenario, given the speakers’ busy schedule of presentations and shows. This last change was frankly astonishing, bringing a significant increase in dynamic range, focus and transparency -- and one that meant that as soon as I got home, swapping out the resistors on the Alexx was a priority ..."

Many thanks!
Guarantee 1 year!o_Oo_O

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Many thanks!

On the WA speakers, these resistors are left purposefully on the outside, visibly, so they can be replaced easily, when necessary.
As the text described, if you overdrive the speaker, play them loud for long periods of time, instead of taking a driver or two, you'll take the resistor. Which means it's quite easy (and cheap) to fix that problem.
Again, what the text described is a situation where the speakers were driven hard, for long periods, rather unnaturally, which likely caused the early degradation of the resistors, and their subsequent need for replacement.
Now, if you own a Wilson, the best course of action is talk to your dealer and check whether he thinks you need a new set. Don't just go replacing them willy-nilly, please :)

Reactions: redandgold

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Seems bizarre to me. I can see why on their demo pair which will be used at multiple shows and dealers, why they might put them Ina. Location that would be easily replaced but I would have thought this would be a decision unique to this particular pair. Why a private;y owned pair would need it seems strange to me.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Howie,
Did you read what I just wrote? This is a Wilson Audio design decision, made throughout ALL their speakers, and it's not even a new one. If anything, they're emphasizing this aspect right now, by making the resistors even easier to get to/more accessible (and nicer looking too!).
I think it's really cool. Those who never had an audio mishap might not "get it". Unplug a cable without muting the preamp, and that loud BZZZZ going through the speaker? There goes a driver. I've had friends with ceramic drivers see their precious units shattered to pieces. Not with a Wilson. Just a simple resistor change.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie,
Did you read what I just wrote? This is a Wilson Audio design decision, made throughout ALL their speakers, and it's not even a new one. If anything, they're emphasizing this aspect right now, by making the resistors even easier to get to/more accessible (and nicer looking too!).
I think it's really cool. Those who never had an audio mishap might not "get it". Unplug a cable without muting the preamp, and that loud BZZZZ going through the speaker? There goes a driver. I've had friends with ceramic drivers see their precious units shattered to pieces. Not with a Wilson. Just a simple resistor change.
I did and I can certainly see the benefits of their location if they need to be replaced periodically. I just found it strange that the design would require this to take place. Errors certainly will occur from time to time. May be, in fact,we need more ''diy'' accessible components?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The visual absence of cables in these photos makes me really envious. Today I regret not having buried a few large section Heliflex plastic pipes in my listening room to hide most cables under the floor. Although I did it for the HT cables of the back channels , I did not consider them for the main speakers. (Picture taken from http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/ead_wamm_mc.htm )

a1.jpg

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
The visual absence of cables in these photos makes me really envious. Today I regret not having buried a few large section Heliflex plastic pipes in my listening room to hide most cables under the floor. Although I did it for the HT cables of the back channels , I did not consider them for the main speakers. (Picture taken from http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/ead_wamm_mc.htm )

View attachment 57629
Looks like the typical Wilson way of advertising. They often like to present their latest models in a shiny, colorful coat of lacquer presented in a large room. And of course wireless. ;)

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
IMO it is much better to protect your drivers with resistors instead exchanging the whole driver. Bad luck with shooting your drivers to hell can happen.
And if you prefer to hear your music at crazy volumes, you degrade your crossover over time. I suppose most of us don‘t hear the process of degradation because it goes slowly.
So I prefer the option to exchange my resistors without soldering. Better to have the option than no option.

Reactions: asiufy

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Looks like the typical Wilson way of advertising. They often like to present their latest models in a shiny, colorful coat of lacquer presented in a large room. And of course wireless. ;)

This picture was taken at a 2 day event in Burgundy at the Chateau Marrault. The cables run under the floor to the system components in a room behind the wall.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This picture was taken at a 2 day event in Burgundy at the Chateau Marrault. The cables run under the floor to the system components in a room behind the wall.

Bill,
Can you confirm if the Audio Research M160's were used to drive the WAMM's?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although there are seven types of snakes in Burgundy, we can easily accept that they do not keep any at the Chateau. So probably these are cables!

a1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing