My new article on the WAMM Master Chronosonic Demo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The visual absence of cables in these photos makes me really envious. Today I regret not having buried a few large section Heliflex plastic pipes in my listening room to hide most cables under the floor. Although I did it for the HT cables of the back channels , I did not consider them for the main speakers. (Picture taken from http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/ead_wamm_mc.htm )

We did this, and it makes a huge difference. One piece of piano gloss furniture with smoked glass, 2 speakers and a Sub...all cables under the floor. If you ever decided to do it, let me know and can share a few thoughts on how we designed it...and we would design it again to make it even better next time.

Reactions: metaphacts

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
We did this, and it makes a huge difference. One piece of piano gloss furniture with smoked glass, 2 speakers and a Sub...all cables under the floor. If you ever decided to do it, let me know and can share a few thoughts on how we designed it...and we would design it again to make it even better next time.
My preamp to poweramp cables snake for 9m under the ground. I should have dug deeper though because if i ever upgrade my zipcord cable they won't fit in the 2 inch plastic pipes.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I can confirm that ARC REF 160M were driving the WAMM.

FYI, that is me photobombing the pic.

Interesting, at first thought I would not expect them to be able to drive the WAMM's in such large room. But I have found that most times large untreated rooms with natural good acoustics need less power than treated rooms.

I see that you preferred the Burgundi wine to the Porto wine, but we expect to see you sometime in the future in Lisbon - I had great time with Peter at the time of our local WAMM presentation, you can ask him about our "Vinho Verde", an young wine from the north of the country!

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Interesting, at first thought I would not expect them to be able to drive the WAMM's in such large room. But I have found that most times large untreated rooms with natural good acoustics need less power than treated rooms.

I see that you preferred the Burgundi wine to the Porto wine, but we expect to see you sometime in the future in Lisbon - I had great time with Peter at the time of our local WAMM presentation, you can ask him about our "Vinho Verde", an young wine from the north of the country!

I was in Lisbon to set up the WAMM but left before the events that followed. It was my first visit to Lisbon and I really loved it. I am a fan of Vinho Verde and made a point of having a few different ones while in Lisbon.

Perhaps on the next trip we can meet.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was in Lisbon to set up the WAMM but left before the events that followed. It was my first visit to Lisbon and I really loved it. I am a fan of Vinho Verde and made a point of having a few different ones while in Lisbon.

Perhaps on the next trip we can meet.

So we must also congratulate you on the hard work - I know it was a real challenge and the extremely professional approach Wilson people had setting up this great system in Lisbon. The local Wilson distributor knows a lot about vinho verde - he even produces some for personal consumption. Perhaps next time you should come by end of octorber or november and we will meet around a sparkling jar taken straight from the barrel!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My preamp to poweramp cables snake for 9m under the ground. I should have dug deeper though because if i ever upgrade my zipcord cable they won't fit in the 2 inch plastic pipes.
I know what you mean. When the contractors first spec'd the conduit, they were thinking 1" pipes...until i told them the thickness of a TA Opus cable! It is more like 3" now...though it could have been 6 inches if only to allow bi-amping! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I know what you mean. When the contractors first spec'd the conduit, they were thinking 1" pipes...until i told them the thickness of a TA Opus cable! It is more like 3" now...though it could have been 6 inches if only to allow bi-amping! ;)

3" for Opus? Did you take the turtles carapace away? ;)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
i think i would need 12" to fit a pair of Gobel cables through...

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Hey metaphacts,

what are the next stopovers for your european WAMM tour?

Regards, redandgold

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
3" for Opus? Did you take the turtles carapace away? ;)
No...they sit just behind the speaker...and the cable runs down under the floor over to just behind the equipment rack and there are separate underfloor conduits for the subwoofer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i think i would need 12" to fit a pair of Gobel cables through...
wow! how fat are the cables? Or is it that the ends of the cables are extra wide?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
wow! how fat are the cables? Or is it that the ends of the cables are extra wide?

It's those funny looking bulges so prevalent in cables these days. It also means that in order to change direction the pipes have to be extra wide
. 14-05-05_Goebel Kabel_rev_robinson_003.jpg

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Hey metaphacts,

what are the next stopovers for your european WAMM tour?

Regards, redandgold

At this point dates and locations are not set. The tremendous demand the launch of Chronosonic XVX has created may force us to push the next WAMM event well later into 2020.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am looking forward to hearing the XVX's on November 7 at Paragon.

Reactions: MJB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing