My New True Soundworks Apogee Diva Extremes

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Congratulations on your acquisition, of an all time great.
I humnlysuggestthis speaker can r up to 1ohm. Common to ribbon tweeters. It his a bear to drive. However the resultant sound quality is well worth the effort

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Congratulations on your acquisition, of an all time great.
I humnlysuggestthis speaker can r up to 1ohm. Common to ribbon tweeters. It his a bear to drive. However the resultant sound quality is well worth the effort
I think you are confusing the Diva with the Scintilla ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think you are confusing the Diva with the Scintilla ;)
I think you are right. I have not heard the Scintilla since mid to late '80s. I have seen pictures. I attributed the difference too modification.
Sorry. Age is humbling.
Congrats are still in order.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I think you are right. I have not heard the Scintilla since mid to late '80s. I have seen pictures. I attributed the difference too modification.
Sorry. Age is humbling.
Congrats are still in order.
No need to be sorry
No harm done

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Can i ask, how many power amps are required?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Can i ask, how many power amps are required?
That depends on the guy who re-did the x-overs ;)
The original Divas had a bi-amping (-wiring) terminal.
I would say between 2 and 6 channels :p
I had my ex-Scintillas made to accomodate a tri-amping (-wiring) terminal :cool:

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you christoph?

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Hey Chris, here is a little bit on the physical difference btw the TSW Ultimates and the Extremes - I have articulated the sonic improvements a bit in the other posts. The mechanical differences are that the Extremes have redesigned all new foil only ribbons a la the Full Range. They no longer have the Kapton/Mylar? backing. Rich also told me he has incorporated a significantly improved foil driver mounting / damping process. I don't know the details. Also the crossovers are fully new designs.

Wow! If I understand correctly, bass driver is foil only too, not just the midrange and tweeter? Is that correct? That would be a dream come true!

Do you know if higher efficiencies are possible? The Synergy and Definitive were 95 and 100db respectively, using incredibly powerful magnets, is possible to combine them with with the foil only drivers and transformers to arrive at something like a 16ohm/100db speaker? (I suspect price will climb like mad just for the material costs, but just curious about this)

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
That depends on the guy who re-did the x-overs ;)
The original Divas had a bi-amping (-wiring) terminal.
I would say between 2 and 6 channels :p
I had my ex-Scintillas made to accomodate a tri-amping (-wiring) terminal :cool:

I use 1 high quality mono power amp per side. They still have the two inputs but I use the Nordost jumper configuration and it works great. Rich has designed fabulous new external crosssovers.

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
Wow! If I understand correctly, bass driver is foil only too, not just the midrange and tweeter? Is that correct? That would be a dream come true!

Do you know if higher efficiencies are possible? The Synergy and Definitive were 95 and 100db respectively, using incredibly powerful magnets, is possible to combine them with with the foil only drivers and transformers to arrive at something like a 16ohm/100db speaker? (I suspect price will climb like mad just for the material costs, but just curious about this)

Yes, all drivers are foil ribbons. You would need to discuss the rest of your question with Rich. I don't know.

Reactions: marmota

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
Beautiful! Please list all the associated equipment as well!

Lee

Thank You!

Main 2 channel front end:
VPI Signature Mag Drive HRX w/ 12" Fatboy Gimbal. Miyajima Kansui (would really like to try a VDH Crimson XGW Strad)
Yamaha GT 2000 w/ Miyajima ZERO
Crown CX-822
Crown SX-824
Atma-Sphere MP1 MK 3.3+
Pass Labs X600.5 amps
Meridian Sooloos
Audio Note 3.1X II Balanced DAC

Last edited:

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Wow, congrats on your new Diva speakers. They look really amazing.
Rich does superb work and his paint jobs are impeccable.
Received mine last year and love em.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, all drivers are foil ribbons. You would need to discuss the rest of your question with Rich. I don't know.
Are you sure also the bass panels are foil only?
I seriously doubt that.
In the Grand, the FullRange and the Scintillas the bass panels are Kapton backed and the bass panels of the Studio Grand/Studio Ribbon Array and the Mini Grand/Stage are Mylar backed.

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
Are you sure also the bass panels are foil only?
I seriously doubt that.
In the Grand, the FullRange and the Scintillas the bass panels are Kapton backed and the bass panels of the Studio Grand/Studio Ribbon Array and the Mini Grand/Stage are Mylar backed.

This is my understanding from all my conversations with Rich, but I guess it is possible there is a backing on the bass panels? I will ask Rich the question directly and let you know.

UPDATE: Chris, I heard back from Rich and indeed you are correct. The bass panels are backed by a single layer of Kapton. The Tweeter and Midrange drivers are pure foil.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I absolutely adore the sound of the double sided mylar bass panels aka Stage and Studio Grand. However, mylar is not the best or most durable material for these, apparently.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
This is my understanding from all my conversations with Rich, but I guess it is possible there is a backing on the bass panels? I will ask Rich the question directly and let you know.

UPDATE: Chris, I heard back from Rich and indeed you are correct. The bass panels are backed by a single layer of Kapton. The Tweeter and Midrange drivers are pure foil.
Thanks for the update

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I absolutely adore the sound of the double sided mylar bass panels aka Stage and Studio Grand. However, mylar is not the best or most durable material for these, apparently.
I thought only the Stage/Mini Grand are double sided bass panels, "sandwiching" a Mylar layer between two layers of corrugated Aluminum "foil" and checked but you are absolutely right, also in the Studio Grand/Studio Ribbon Array, the bass panels are double sided.

RedAlert

Mar 25, 2020
I've late Diva's, just wondering how this MR-ribbon is made, original is in 3 segments and when I look those photos of yours, there seems to be just one ribbon, which is as wide as the original 3-segment ribbon. Is this done possible by just x-overs re-design? Are the magnets the same? I'm very interested to improve my Diva's performance, though I understand that those infos are not necessarily freely available...but at least my Diva's need a paintjob and this color combination or your speakers is magnificent:)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing