My personal journey to MY SONIC LAB

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
My MSL Story continues, as my day to day cartridge has become the

TechDAS TDC-01

which is the alloy body version of the TechDAS cart.

using my Glanz MH-1200s Tonearm, the result is very balanced, but with a lot of dynamic.

I connect the TechDAs TDC-01 to the Phasemation EA-2000 phono stage (T-2000 step up) using SAEC Triple C phono cables.

The Headshell is the Yamamoto HS-5 Titanium with SAEC Triple C headshell leads.

It took some time of comparison between Ikeda IT 407 CR1 and the Glanz tonearm, but finally I preferred the Glanz for this cart.

Some might know the Three Blind Mice "Misty" record, which has a very strong and dynamic piano on the first side.

Switching the cart between Ikeda and Glanz tonearm makes a 3db difference in peak SPL on the hard played piano, which is a huge difference. This tells me, that the Glanz can control the movements of the TechDAS cart better and might be the reason for the perceived more dynamic reproduction of this record.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We own the MSL Platinum and the Air Tight Opus 1. We prefer the MSL mainly on soft rock, but the Opus 1 on everything else, especially female vocals and jazz.

Reactions: Johan K

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Switching the cart between Ikeda and Glanz tonearm makes a 3db difference in peak SPL on the hard played piano, which is a huge difference. This tells me, that the Glanz can control the movements of the TechDAS cart better and might be the reason for the perceived more dynamic reproduction of this record.
I haven’t put my hands on a Glanz but I‘m sure it’s a great tonearm. I heard and set up Ikeda 407, It’s a good arm but there is nothing special about it. There is a rumor that it doesn’t sound as dynamic as old steel tubed FR 64 and I believe it.

IMHO Techdas TDC-01 sounds great on AS Axiom and so much better than Techdas Elite tonearm. IME both Sound-wise and measurement-wise AS Axiom is one of the the best pivoted tonearms together with SAT CF1-09. I haven’t get a chance to fiddle Glanz but probably it’s at the same level.

Last edited:

MimicAudio

Dec 14, 2022
@shakti what of the original supex lineup have you tried? Sorry if I missed it but I don't think I saw them mentioned

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti what of the original supex lineup have you tried? Sorry if I missed it but I don't think I saw them mentioned
no SUPEX @home so far. I friend of mine is a cartridge collector, so I had the chance to listen to SUPEX,
but as my friend is always changing a lot, I cannot judge on them.

MimicAudio

Dec 14, 2022
no SUPEX @home so far. I friend of mine is a cartridge collector, so I had the chance to listen to SUPEX,
but as my friend is always changing a lot, I cannot judge on them.
Oh nice! I have a personal SUPEX SDX-1000 that I absolutely love but have recently been interested to compare it to the My Sonic Lab stuff so was just wondering.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Oh nice! I have a personal SUPEX SDX-1000 that I absolutely love but have recently been interested to compare it to the My Sonic Lab stuff so was just wondering.
Perhaps some photos on the Supex..?

all the best

/ Jk

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
does someone tried the

Accuphase AC-6

cartridge?

This is also coming from MSL and might be an interesting alternative to the well known.

Reactions: Bso

MimicAudio

Dec 14, 2022

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_181449_176.jpg
    IMG_20230106_181449_176.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230106_181747_349.jpg
    IMG_20230106_181747_349.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 22

MimicAudio

Dec 14, 2022

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_181022_847.jpg
    IMG_20230106_181022_847.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 32

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
I use a Sound Smith Hyperion cartridge with Kuzma 4 point Tonearm and Burmester 100 phono. Would I see any sound improvement with a MSL Gold or Platinum. I know it is system dependent but what is your experience between Hyperion and MSL in general. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
does someone tried the

Accuphase AC-6

cartridge?

This is also coming from MSL and might be an interesting alternative to the well known.
Since you asked the question, how would you describe your AC-5 compared to the other cartridges you have?

How do you think the AC-6 will differ?

There is a review of the AC-6 by one of the German magazines that you can find on the Accuphase web site.

Edit: I just found your thread about the Phasemation cartridge - still interested in what your comparisons and especially my second question.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Since you asked the question, how would you describe your AC-5 compared to the other cartridges you have? How do you think the AC-6 will differ?

There is a review by one of the German magazines that you can find on the Accuphase web site.

Edit: I just found your thread about the Phasemation cartridge - still interested in what your comparisons and especially my second question.
AC5 is a nice cart, not the level of Sumile and other top carts produced from MSL, but I like it a lot with my Phasemation step up , as it has a good matching resistance.
Some people say, AC 5 is a mix of ZYX Parts and MSL manufacturing.
may be this than describes the characte.

currently I do have two AC5 in use to more easy compare tonearm.

Still, the Phasemation PP2000 is my preferred cart in this price range, but only for more heavy arms, the AC 5 is more flexible and will also play in SME V and others with similar effective mass.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Koetsu Stone/Diamond is my staple but the immediate alternatives are all Matsudaira creations (TD and MSL).

In my system no cart lays out a philharmonic in a soundstage as evenly and as orderly as does a Matsudaira cartridge.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Still, the Phasemation PP2000 is my preferred cart in this price range, but only for more heavy arms, the AC 5 is more flexible and will also play in SME V and others with similar effective mass.
Happy New Year Shakti. Thanks for continuing to share your insights

I'd be interested to hear what you feel the PP2000 misses in a lighter (or gains from a heavier) arm?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I'd be interested to hear what you feel the PP2000 misses in a lighter (or gains from a heavier) arm?
mainly structure and contour, every instruments sounds (to my ears) a little bit more 3dimensional.
Currently I am using the matching Phasemation 1200 DLC Headshell and a Glanz MH1200s tonearm,
which is nice with this DLC coated cart bodies

Reactions: Johan K and defride

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Over the last decades I used a lot of different cartridges and it took me some time to understand, that many of my favorite carts,
even beeing from different brands (Supex, Air Tight, Koetsu, Miyajima) were from the same man (co) developed and produced:

Master Yoshiaki Matsudaira

It seemed, that he is mostly working behind the scenes, but with a lot of influence to the sonic Art of Japanese Cartridges.

I tried to understand his life for Cartridge Art a little bit better, and the following summary is what google is showing up in different sources.
(no chance for me to prove, so if someone knows better or more, please write a comment):

My Sonic Lab was founded by Yoshiaki Matsudaira in 2004. Matsudaira was no stranger to the Japanese Cartridge market. He started his career at SUPEX, whose Carts still enjoys a legendary reputation today. There he worked together with Yoshiaki Sugano, who later founded the Koetsu company. It is said that Yoshiaki Sugano especially loved the wooden case Koetsu and the first stone case Koetsu, the Koetsu Onyx, was significantly developed by his friend Yoshiaki Matsudaira.

During his time at Supex, Yoshiaki Matsudaira, probably together with Yoshiaki Sugano, fulfilled an OEM order for Luxman and developed a TA for Luxman. The project manager for this Luxman cartridge was Atsushi Miura, who was responsible for the tube devices and the Cartridges at Luxman. Atsushi Miura was also married to the daughter of the Luxman company founder ... but that's another story. Atsushi Miura was very satisfied with the development work done by Yoshiaki Matsudaira, and when Atsushi Miura left Luxman (which stopped producing tube devices in 1982) to found Air Tight, it was clear that he would take care of the tube devices but he also wanted pickups in the range that he ordered from Yoshiaki Matsudaira.

Yoshiaki Matsudaira was now full-time at Audio Craft and, incidentally, developed and built pickups for some Japanese companies in parallel. In 2004, Yoshiaki Matsudaira decided to found the company My Sonic Lab, which will continue to primarily fulfill OEM orders, but will also offer pickups under its own name My Sonic Lab. At the moment, many well-known pickup providers are among the "official" customers of My Sonic Lab, such as Transrotor (Tamino), Air Tight, TechDAs, Murasakino, etc. But some other manufacturers, at least in part, also seem to use MSL without publishing this manufacture, e.g. Koetsu, Miyajima etc.

Realizing, that I never had an original cartridge from the Masters own brand, I decided to buy a MSL cartridge.

As it should be at least in the league of the Sumile cart, it was obvious, that the decision should be done between the "Signature Gold" and the "Signature Platinum". As nearly no dealers in Germany do have both carts on demo , I spoke to fan boys and distributors. The out did recommend the "Signature Gold" as the warmer and more charming model of the two.

My current set up at home is well balanced (at least for me), so no need to shift the balance further into the warmer region, as even the more analytical MSL Siblings are are not as harsh or sibilant critical as others carts in this segment , so the decision was taken to buy the

- My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum

Cartridge as the current MSL to product.

Matsudaira has sind decades the goal to reduce the moving mass of the coil in his cartridges. He is producing carts with a very small number of turns, resulting in low DC resistance numbers like 0,6ohm.
He is using a high permeability magnet, so still he can get out of the 0,6ohm cart around 0,25mv voltage.
The MSL signature Platinum has 1,5ohm DC resistance and 0,5mv output.

The classical MC Cart impedance set up, saying 10x up to 20x times of the DC resistance is the best value for the PhonoPre (direct connection, no step up)
would give a number of 15ohm to 30ohm impedance as best.

But the MSL manual is explaining in detail, that an impedance below 100ohm would kill the dynamic power of the Cart. And that even number up to 800ohm will work.
MSL recommends an impedance value of 200 to 300ohm.

For using a step up, the 10x or 20x types are recommended, which translates into a value of around 500 ohm or around 125ohm seen impedance for the Cartridge.

Since a couple of weeks I am using the similar Murasakino Sumile cart, so I tried a lot of different impedance combinations. So far no final recommendation,
as the value depends too much on the individual Phonostage in use.

With Boulder 2008 I prefer 200ohm, with Jeff Rowland Cadence I prefer the 250ohm value (which seem to be a 10x step up with parallel resistor)

It is said, that the very low MSL carts do like current amplification stages, like vdh Grail oder CHP P1.

Fitting of the MSL Signature Platinum was straight forward and simple, as the body is clean shaped and the diamond is well protected ( so no Colibri stress ...)

The MSL carts do follow fine adjustments with ease, so a first set up becomes very fast satisfying.

Fine tuning will be done after some hours of listening.

The TechDAS AF3P is now fitted with three carts in a similar price range, the

- Murasakino Sumile
- My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum
- Soundsmith Hyperion OCL Signature

Listening to this 3 will become an interesting comparison, I will write about it in an separate thread :)

This thread about the MSL SP and the sonic performance will be continued after the "burn in " of the Cartridge.

View attachment 65548 View attachment 65547 View attachment 65546 View attachment 65549 View attachment 65545
Good morning Shakti, I take advantage of your experience regarding the experience with the My sonic lab platinum signature. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and have exceeded 50 hours of use. my phono preamp is the allnic 7000v and I have both the allnic 8000 and a ypsilon mc 10 as an external step up. I loaded it between 150 and 500 ohms. with the allnic step up in silver it is too bright. with the other options I find the mids and highs very beautiful and very detailed but as far as the bass is concerned, although narrow I cannot obtain a natural decay of the sound, it tends to close very quickly which does not happen with the other cartridges with the Emt jsd 6 platinum the Ortofon 95 and the Benz LPS. the arm I use it with is a Dynavector 507 mk2. I haven't tried it yet with the 2nd arm a Vpi 3d 12.7 but considering the quality I don't expect a miracle.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Good morning Shakti, I take advantage of your experience regarding the experience with the My sonic lab platinum signature. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and have exceeded 50 hours of use. my phono preamp is the allnic 7000v and I have both the allnic 8000 and a ypsilon mc 10 as an external step up. I loaded it between 150 and 500 ohms. with the allnic step up in silver it is too bright. with the other options I find the mids and highs very beautiful and very detailed but as far as the bass is concerned, although narrow I cannot obtain a natural decay of the sound, it tends to close very quickly which does not happen with the other cartridges with the Emt jsd 6 platinum the Ortofon 95 and the Benz LPS. the arm I use it with is a Dynavector 507 mk2. I haven't tried it yet with the 2nd arm a Vpi 3d 12.7 but considering the quality I don't expect a miracle.
Thanks the same shakti, I imagine you are busy with a thousand other things these days. my signature platinum MSL just wanted a little more time to complete its break-in. The saying that "time is a gentleman" is truly true and little by little everything falls into place and so MSL has revealed itself for its wonderful beauty and has become a real drug that is difficult to break away from.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: shakti

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing