VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
no clue, but you see the ads.......a lot of which he praises highly in here
Nothing wrong with reviewing product that you sell, i like Shaktis comparative reviews and he is very knowledgeable and thorough, but informing about being a dealer is pertinent information for me. I have known it for years though :rolleyes:

Reactions: MortenB

MortenB

Jul 12, 2019
Aarhus, Denmark
Nothing wrong with reviewing product that you sell, i like Shaktis comparative reviews and he is very knowledgeable and thorough, but informing about being a dealer is pertinent information for me. I have known it for years though :rolleyes:
I fully agree and I find Shaktis comparative reviews amongst the best sources for info on cartridges anywhere online. I learn more from these comparisons, than from individual reviews.

And BTW, he does not sell My Sonic Lab, so in this case his review is actually competing with products he does sell, such as Phasemation.

Reactions: Lagonda

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti why don´t you flag that you are in fact a dealer in Germany?
you have lots of ads in audiomarkt.de
please have a look to my new signature.

I retired from my former major Industry job and found now the time to associate more professional with the Audio Industry.

Last edited:

dionisofun

Jun 21, 2022
Good morning,

I recently upgraded from an MSL Ultra Eminent to an MSL Signature Platinum - which at this point already has 30 hours of use.

Given what I've read about this cartridge, I found its sound a little thin and was surprised by that. Despite its greater level of transparency and detail compared to the Ultra Eminent, I expected a fuller and smoother sound.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Good morning,

I recently upgraded from an MSL Ultra Eminent to an MSL Signature Platinum - which at this point already has 30 hours of use.

Given what I've read about this cartridge, I found its sound a little thin and was surprised by that. Despite its greater level of transparency and detail compared to the Ultra Eminent, I expected a fuller and smoother sound.

Has anyone had the same experience?
Bass can be much better after as long as 50-75 hours on these delicate japanese cartridges.. sometimes even a 100 hours is required to show their full potential.
I’ve had the MSL SP at my place and yes it’s thinner than my Koetsu Blue Lace, but after some time it sounded almost as powerful.

My AirTight Opus-1 was very thin in the beginning, but is now very powerful sounding. The MSL SP has a very similar sound as the Opus-1, so I guess you have to be a bit patience…

Also, after 50-75 hour I found the gain increased a little bit too.. which made it even better sounding…

Good luck ;) !

/ Jk

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Buongiorno,

Recentemente ho effettuato l'aggiornamento da un MSL Ultra Eminent a un MSL Signature Platinum, che a questo punto ha già 30 ore di utilizzo.

Dato quello che ho letto su questa testina, ho trovato il suo suono un po' sottile e ne sono rimasto sorpreso. Nonostante il suo maggiore livello di trasparenza e dettaglio rispetto all'Ultra Eminent, mi aspettavo un suono più pieno e morbido.

Qualcuno ha avuto la stessa esperienza?
Good morning, wait till we arrive. At least 70-80 hours. At 100 everything unlocks, remember to load the head properly

Reactions: dionisofun

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Good morning, wait till we arrive. At least 70-80 hours. At 100 everything unlocks, remember to load the head properly
Yea - I agree ! Between 50-100 Ohm worked best at my place.

I run 50 Ohm on my Blue Lace, and 100 Ohm on the Opus-1… I’d say the MSL SP is there in between…

/ Jk

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Yea - I agree ! Between 50-100 Ohm worked best at my place.

I run 50 Ohm on my Blue Lace, and 100 Ohm on the Opus-1… I’d say the MSL SP is there in between…

/ Jk
My sonic lab Mr. platinum wants to be loaded higher try it around 200 ohms the same manual recommends giving a load above 100 ohms otherwise it will not be able to express its dynamic potential. I just heard it with some smooth 1/20 step ups that make it read just under 200 ohms and it took you to heaven

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
My sonic lab Mr. platinum wants to be loaded higher try it around 200 ohms the same manual recommends giving a load above 100 ohms otherwise it will not be able to express its dynamic potential. I just heard it with some smooth 1/20 step ups that make it read just under 200 ohms and it took you to heaven
I greatly disagree, that this is a general hypothesis. One has to consider all the other gear in the system. 200 Ohm is not in any way wrong, but in MY system it will get WAY to bright in the top. Believe me, I have tried it. As I explain in the previous post, 50-100 Ohm is maximum in my system for the MSL SP… and I can asure you I did get the full potential of the cartridge. In other systems this may vary a lot. One has to try for them selfs… in this case nothing is right or wrong… just try what sounds best in that particular system.

/ Jk

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I greatly disagree, that this is a general hypothesis. One has to consider all the other gear in the system.
+1

IMHO/IME cartridge loading isn’t independent from general sound signature of the setup. It’s mostly related with phono stage’s sound signature together with amps, speakers etc. Admittedly every cartridge has a preferred loading, that’s for sure, I’m not questioning that, but other components also play a role on final loading value as @Johan K said.

For example same cartridge may perform best at 50ohms on setup A and 200ohms on setup B. If you’re using an active phono stage it’s character is a decisive factor for loading. BTW SUTs are more tolerant for cartridge’s internal impedance but they also have their own sound signature. Too complicated.

When I read what I’ve written digital looked like a good idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
+1

IMHO/IME cartridge loading isn’t independent from general sound signature of the setup. It’s mostly related with phono stage’s sound signature together with amps, speakers etc. Admittedly every cartridge has a preferred loading, that’s for sure, I’m not questioning that, but other components also play a role on final loading value as @Johan K said.

For example same cartridge may perform best at 50ohms on setup A and 200ohms on setup B. If you’re using an active phono stage it’s character is a decisive factor for loading. BTW SUTs are more tolerant for cartridge’s internal impedance but they also have their own sound signature. Too complicated.

When I read what I’ve written digital looked like a good idea.
Sooo funny!! Completely agree ;) !

Reactions: mtemur

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
I greatly disagree, that this is a general hypothesis. One has to consider all the other gear in the system. 200 Ohm is not in any way wrong, but in MY system it will get WAY to bright in the top. Believe me, I have tried it. As I explain in the previous post, 50-100 Ohm is maximum in my system for the MSL SP… and I can asure you I did get the full potential of the cartridge. In other systems this may vary a lot. One has to try for them selfs… in this case nothing is right or wrong… just try what sounds best in that particular system.

/ Jk
de gustibus non disputandum est…….

• Wow

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
What do you mean, the debate is not about taste ?

By the way - do you prefer me asking in swedish ?
Look at my statement in the Latin sense of the term... loading a cartridge is like when you have a blanket that is too short... if you cover the top you reveal the feet and if you cover the feet you uncover the upper part.... it is difficult to find balance ġùstibus ...〉. – Latin phrase. ("tastes cannot be discussed"), of non-classical origin, very frequent in common language. (often also in the elliptical form de gustibus) to state that tastes are subjective and everyone has the right to have their own, however strange they may seem to others.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Look at my statement in the Latin sense of the term... loading a cartridge is like when you have a blanket that is too short... if you cover the top you reveal the feet and if you cover the feet you uncover the upper part.... it is difficult to find balance ġùstibus ...〉. – Latin phrase. ("tastes cannot be discussed"), of non-classical origin, very frequent in common language. (often also in the elliptical form de gustibus) to state that tastes are subjective and everyone has the right to have their own, however strange they may seem to others.
I understand what you say, but I don’t fully agree to all… There is a lot of factors involved here, and can not be overlooked. It is the same thing when you make a special set up to a F1-car for a particular track… You can not say a medium downforce is best for every track… In some tracks you need a lot of downforce, in others a lot less to get the best out of the car. Same in cartridge loading… That is my take on the subject, and it has worked good here… But I say YMMV, and I would also say that taste has a LOT to do with it… so has the gear involved as @mtemur spoked of prevoius too.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
I understand what you say, but I don’t fully agree to all… There is a lot of factors involved here, and can not be overlooked. It is the same thing when you make a special set up to a F1-car for a particular track… You can not say a medium downforce is best for every track… In some tracks you need a lot of downforce, in others a lot less to get the best out of the car. Same in cartridge loading… That is my take on the subject, and it has worked good here… But I say YMMV, and I would also say that taste has a LOT to do with it… so has the gear involved as @mtemur spoked of prevoius too..
once a dear friend of mine who is also passionate about music reproduction accompanied me to Berlin during a concert at "La Philharmonie", leaving the hall he said to me: this hall is a little low on bass and the eardrums are a little dry...... For me the sound I had just listened to (Mahler the titan) was wonderful "De gustibus non disputandum est" (and his system is for me one of the best heard in my city)... In F 1 the car that wins is always the one that it was born with the best balance between engine and aerodynamics, then the set-up and aerodynamic load varies based on the track but no matter how hard the others try, it always wins. Even a hi-fi system, if assembled well from the start, is the one that is most capable of highlighting the characteristics of an out of the ordinary device. I don't know your system and your listening room and if it's okay for you to load the MSL at 50 ohm, far be it from me to dispute your statement, my clarification is based only on what is prescribed in the MSL installation manual.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing