My personal phono stage reference: Phasemation EA-2000

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
For those who are interested, I got my umbilical cords custom made by Brad at Revelation Audio, the sound immediately improved, mostly quieter, better and deeper base, still breaking in, at a fraction of the phono cost I'm very happy with this tweak

what did you put the custom umbilical cords on?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
@XV-1 the Phasemation EA-1200

Congrats on the EA-1200 - photos please, including the power connectors

That was quick. You have only had the EA-1200 for a couple of weeks? Barely time for the phono to bed in.
The stock umbilical chords look total quality especially with the really cool self locking.

How did Brad know how to make them up and so quick?

Last edited:

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
Congrats on the EA-1200 - photos please, including the power connectors

That was quick. You have only had the EA-1200 for a couple of weeks? Barely time for the phono to bed in.
The stock umbilical chords look total quality especially with the really cool self locking.

How did Brad know how to make them up and so quick?
Brad sourced original connectors, see pics

I couldn't imagine a better upgrade to the PSU, I'm even wondering if a second PSU would actually help after this upgrade

Attachments

• DSC_0836.JPG
    DSC_0836.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0835.JPG
    DSC_0835.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0834.JPG
    DSC_0834.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Love
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Impressive. System looks awesome.

How much are the umbilical chords from Revelation?
Deeper bass and quieter sound like a great outcome - it's already very quiet.

I think we may need to start a EA-1200 thread rather than fill up Shakti's one here.

Cheers

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
2 days ago the German Yamamoto Distributor visited me to deliver a bunch of
Yamamoto B-45 wooden platforms. My EA-2000 / T-2000 Phonostage is a 8box system and I wanted to place them on identical wooden platforms, that they look similar placed (and may be it even sounds better, when placed more equal)

Now it looks more integrated, it becomes more obvious , that the different units belong to each other.

(and the change took so long, that it is difficult to define / hear a sonic difference)

But I like it :)

IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0055.jpg IMG_0054.jpg

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi Shakti,
How's it going with the 8 box Phasemation EA-2000 & T-2000 combo Phono Stage set-up ?

Do you still like this set-up ?

Wondered if you have heard a CH P1 x 2 Mono with X1 Phono Stage set-up and can compare with the EA-2000 & T-2000 ?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Shakti,
How's it going with the 8 box Phasemation EA-2000 & T-2000 combo Phono Stage set-up ?

Do you still like this set-up ?

Wondered if you have heard a CH P1 x 2 Mono with X1 Phono Stage set-up and can compare with the EA-2000 & T-2000 ?
I never has the CHP 4 box Phono at home, but I heard for some weeks the standard CHP P1 Phonostage.

This is a good Phono, the sonic signature is comparable to Boulder Phono. The stand alone P1 was not on the level of the 2 box Boulder 2008, but I would believe, that a P1 with external PSU will meet the level.

The character of CHP or Boulder is very much different to Phasemation.

Not a question of which is better, more a question of what you prefer.

Some like Etsuro Gold or Koetsu Stonebody, some like Ortofon Diamond or Lyra Atlas carts.

If you are in the Ortofon Diamond camp, you will prefer CHP or Boulder.

If you are in the MSL, Koetsu, Etsuro camp, you will prefer Phasemation.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I never has the CHP 4 box Phono at home, but I heard for some weeks the standard CHP P1 Phonostage.

This is a good Phono, the sonic signature is comparable to Boulder Phono. The stand alone P1 was not on the level of the 2 biox Boulder 2008, but I would believe, that a P1 with external PSU will meet the level.

Some like Etsuro Gold or Koetsu Stonebody, some like Ortofon Diamond or Lyra Atlas carts.

Thank you for your very informative reply 'Shakti'. Very much appreciated.

south

Nov 4, 2011

This is a good Phono, the sonic signature is comparable to Boulder Phono. The stand alone P1 was not on the level of the 2 box Boulder 2008, but I would believe, that a P1 with external PSU will meet the level.

Hi Shakti,
Did you compare the CHP P1 with the Soulution 720 with phono input you also have?
Many thanks and congratulations on your system, in particular for showing that an old model, like the Avalon Osiris, can still be competitive.
S.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Did you compare the CHP P1 with the Soulution 720 with phono input you also have?
no, CHP P1 is too long ago to compare.

But the internal Phonostage of the Soulution 720 is fine, not on the level of EA-1200 or EA 2000 (to my ears),
but better than many alternatives I heard in the below 10k segment.

south

Nov 4, 2011
no, CHP P1 is too long ago to compare.

But the internal Phonostage of the Soulution 720 is fine, not on the level of EA-1200 or EA 2000 (to my ears),
but better than many alternatives I heard in the below 10k segment.
Thanks, Shakti.
Could I pm you on a related topic? Many thanks

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Very nice thread. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Phasemation phono stage.

An interesting product that is finalized development and awaiting release should be interesting to try in place of step up transformers is the SUTZ by Sutherland Engineering. SUTZ stands for step up transimpedance. It is a two fold benefit in that it is to me and in my experience, a more transparent way to step up an MM phono pre to use low output MC cartridges. Also an introduction of transimpedance into the system. It has adjustable gain, and requires low impedance MC cartridges to work best. I am currently using one in my system with an all tube MM phono pre and Dynavector XV1S cartridge with absolutely amazing results! I highly recommend trying one in place of any situation where step up transformers are used.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Very nice thread. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Phasemation phono stage.

An interesting product that is finalized development and awaiting release should be interesting to try in place of step up transformers is the SUTZ by Sutherland Engineering. SUTZ stands for step up transimpedance. It is a two fold benefit in that it is to me and in my experience, a more transparent way to step up an MM phono pre to use low output MC cartridges. Also an introduction of transimpedance into the system. It has adjustable gain, and requires low impedance MC cartridges to work best. I am currently using one in my system with an all tube MM phono pre and Dynavector XV1S cartridge with absolutely amazing results! I highly recommend trying one in place of any situation where step up transformers are used.
Thank you for the hint to a new Sutherland product.

If you feel, that the SUTZ will provide value to step up users in WBF,
you might consider to open a dedicated thread about this new product,
as for sure, not only Phasemation EA-2000 users might be interested.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Thank you for the hint to a new Sutherland product.

If you feel, that the SUTZ will provide value to step up users in WBF,
you might consider to open a dedicated thread about this new product,
as for sure, not only Phasemation EA-2000 users might be interested.
Yes, I am revising the thread and will post soon. Thank you!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
@shakti as you have a lot of experience and exposure to Phasemation gear, I was wondering if you have ever auditioned the EA-1000. I need a 3 input phono with balanced output. Sadly, balanced out is missing on the EA-1200 and EA-2000 is over my budget. I was just wondering how good EA-1000 is sounding.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti as you have a lot of experience and exposure to Phasemation gear, I was wondering if you have ever auditioned the EA-1000. I need a 3 input phono with balanced output. Sadly, balanced out is missing on the EA-1200 and EA-2000 is over my budget. I was just wondering how good EA-1000 is sounding.
Unfortunately I never had the chance to listen to EA-1000. I started my Phasemation journey with the EA-1200 generation.

Similar priced in the used market sometimes is the Allnic 7000, which has XLR out.

Reactions: kodomo

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
Brad sourced original connectors, see pics

I couldn't imagine a better upgrade to the PSU, I'm even wondering if a second PSU would actually help after this upgrade
Hi! Do you have your turntable on a Marble board? If so can you share your experience?

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
Hi! Do you have your turntable on a Marble board? If so can you share your experience?
Yes, sold my whole analog setup a year ago, I have good memories of the marble base for isolation purpose, plus it looked great

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing