My Pinkfaun 2.16 ultra experience

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
Before I tried the Pinkfaun 2.16 ultra, Ive had Taiko sg extreme for about 2 years. Tbh, I didn’t really expect much from Pinky, maybe Im biased taiko since im the owner, or by looking at the size and weight of two different machines.
During the comparison session, I firstly made quick ab tests of each song, and the both machines were connected and powered by exact cables. after several hour of the quick switch a test, I then listened to Pinky for about 1 week constantly. So I could build up kinda sonic understanding of the new unit, and be more clear what was the differences after switching back to taiko.

So in my first quick session, I could hear some differences, not huge huge differences, but I was not sure which one I preferred. Basicall, the first impressions was as below
1. taiko has little more powerful bass
2. taiko is slight warmer
3. you feel more energy from taiko
4. pinky has better deeper sound stage
5. pinky sounds more delicate, but still very good body

After one week of pinky, then I switched back to taiko. This time, there was definitely more understanding the differences between the two.
1. yes, the pinky has deeper sound stage, and I like anything Can bring the deep sound stage to my system
2. the sound of instruments and whatever sound is more separated, and spatial
3. sound more comes from far behind the speakers, with taiko, occasionally i still feel some sound from the speaker.
4. with pinky software stylus, it is the most analog sounding in my system, very natural, smooth but still dynami.it’s very close to my DS audio W2 set. i have to say that stylus sounds really really wonderful. What about taikos software? For many reason, I still haven’t got it installed in my unit in the past 2 years, so i Dont know actually. Before the comparison I emailed taiko asking for the new software, the answer is they are waiting for qobuz certification, and asked me to wait. So I tried.

so I listened to taiko for about 15mins, and decided I’m keeping the pinky and will sell taiko. For me, Pinkfaun is a better spatial sounding, very analog sounding unit, these features attracted me the most. That’s the end of my story, quite a surprise tbh. Coz I never felt like to test another streamer, or even change my taiko. But life is full of surprises. Btw, analog is still the heaven…digital is when I’m feeling lazy.

446DB483-49F9-4073-BE30-DE010FD1E0CF.jpeg

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
If you haven't tried XDMS in Taiko I would tell you to do it. Although the direction that the development of the XDMS Control app has taken seems wrong to me, nevertheless the sound of the XDMS software in Extreme is extraordinary, much better than with Roon or TAS.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
I would get the new xdms software and try it first and report back before selling the taiko.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
1. yes, the pinky has deeper sound stage, and I like anything Can bring the deep sound stage to my system
3. sound more comes from far behind the speakers, with taiko, occasionally i still feel some sound from the speaker.

Besides not trying TAS or XDMS did you get your Extreme updated with USB card, drivers and last years OS update? Did you load the appropriate USB profile for your DAC? Personal preferences on tonality/voicing aside, the feedback we have received specifically on sound staging, spatiality and dimensionality is actually completely opposite to your experience hence I just have to reply :)

Here's a link to selecting the proper USB profile: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/w...-Profiles-on-the-Extreme-Music-Server_v17.pdf

And a link to optimizing Roon, note it's good to verify this from time to time as it can sometimes reset after a Roon update: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Taiko-Extreme-Roon-Settings_V5.pdf

Reactions: ctydwn and Armsan

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
Besides not trying TAS or XDMS did you get your Extreme updated with USB card, drivers and last years OS update? Did you load the appropriate USB profile for your DAC? Personal preferences on tonality/voicing aside, the feedback we have received specifically on sound staging, spatiality and dimensionality is actually completely opposite to your experience hence I just have to reply :)

Here's a link to selecting the proper USB profile: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/w...-Profiles-on-the-Extreme-Music-Server_v17.pdf

And a link to optimizing Roon, note it's good to verify this from time to time as it can sometimes reset after a Roon update: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Taiko-Extreme-Roon-Settings_V5.pdf
Yes, I got the USB card from day one.
OS UPDATE last year? I don’t think so unless you updated my os remotely. I got no notification from either taiko or my distributor About the update.
Dac is esoteric K1X, so it’s not in your list.
About the Roon setting PDF file, why I didn’t receive this earlier either from taiko or my distributor? Bit late you sent me now.
lastly, regarding to your software TAS n XDMS, my dealer didn’t want to instal TAS because they said the experience is not good, and it doesn’t play streaming, so I didn’t insist to instal it. I don’t even know when you launched XDMS. As a user, don’t you feel it‘s bit hilarious that I even dont know about your new launch? I didnt get this notification either from taiko or my distributor. I knew XDMS actually from one Hifi guy about 2 weeks ago, so I contacted taiko to have it, unfortunately the answer is you are waiting for qobuz certification, so you can’t install it and asked me wait. Till the time I made my mind to keep Pinkfaun, I still didnt get green light about your XDMS.

On the other hand, Pinkfaun has their software pre installed in the unit, and it sounds wonderful, again mostly close to my analog experience. It streams and plays local files, it shifts between Roon and stylus within a second, no glitch no hassle. so the AB comparison is easy and obvious.

you can defend your product, and claim it’s better, but as an user, I shifted to Pinkfaun, because I think it just sounds better.

Reactions: sbo6 and TDX

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Our apologies for your sub optimal experience. I hope you don’t mind if I send you a personal message to enquire who your dealer is.

This is not an attempt at defending our product, nor trying to claim superiority but the sonic differences you are describing do not match up with expectations. In general the PF ultra using Stylus is considered to sound warmer, more organic and a bit more „lit up“ making it sound perhaps somewhat airier while the Extreme using Roon is considered to sound more expansive, darker and a bit more transparent. You may very well prefer the PF ultras presentation. Using TAS or XDMS actually moves the two even further apart in their presentation which I guess is just their respective creators preference..

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Before I tried the Pinkfaun 2.16 ultra, Ive had Taiko sg extreme for about 2 years. Tbh, I didn’t really expect much from Pinky, maybe Im biased taiko since im the owner, or by looking at the size and weight of two different machines.
During the comparison session, I firstly made quick ab tests of each song, and the both machines were connected and powered by exact cables. after several hour of the quick switch a test, I then listened to Pinky for about 1 week constantly. So I could build up kinda sonic understanding of the new unit, and be more clear what was the differences after switching back to taiko.

So in my first quick session, I could hear some differences, not huge huge differences, but I was not sure which one I preferred. Basicall, the first impressions was as below
1. taiko has little more powerful bass
2. taiko is slight warmer
3. you feel more energy from taiko
4. pinky has better deeper sound stage
5. pinky sounds more delicate, but still very good body

After one week of pinky, then I switched back to taiko. This time, there was definitely more understanding the differences between the two.
4. with pinky software stylus, it is the most analog sounding in my system, very natural, smooth but still dynami.it’s very close to my DS audio W2 set. i have to say that stylus sounds really really wonderful. What about taikos software? For many reason, I still haven’t got it installed in my unit in the past 2 years, so i Dont know actually. Before the comparison I emailed taiko asking for the new software, the answer is they are waiting for qobuz certification, and asked me to wait. So I tried.

so I listened to taiko for about 15mins, and decided I’m keeping the pinky and will sell taiko. For me, Pinkfaun is a better spatial sounding, very analog sounding unit, these features attracted me the most. That’s the end of my story, quite a surprise tbh. Coz I never felt like to test another streamer, or even change my taiko. But life is full of surprises. Btw, analog is still the heaven…digital is when I’m feeling lazy.

View attachment 104121
Thanks for that Worldtime. As a PF ultra owner I have wondered about the comparison . Clearly they are both cracking units as you would expect and I would not be surprised if the nuances of system synergy may make the difference. I can now put my buyers remorse energy into other components :)
Cheers
Phil

Reactions: Dane33

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
Our apologies for your sub optimal experience. I hope you don’t mind if I send you a personal message to enquire who your dealer is.

This is not an attempt at defending our product, nor trying to claim superiority but the sonic differences you are describing do not match up with expectations. In general the PF ultra using Stylus is considered to sound warmer, more organic and a bit more „lit up“ making it sound perhaps somewhat airier while the Extreme using Roon is considered to sound more expansive, darker and a bit more transparent. You may very well prefer the PF ultras presentation. Using TAS or XDMS actually moves the two even further apart in their presentation which I guess is just their respective creators preference..
Hi
No need to apologize really, I still can say I had wonderful time with taiko in the past 2 years. I also agree with your description of taiko, expansive, bit more transparen ( or focus?). To me , taiko sounds like a wall of flower blooming, more rich. i think it will do great job for people who want more richness and energy And expansiveness.
since my system has got good richness and color (im a tube and vinyl person), I feel pinkys sound fits tube system more. It’s just my humble opinion.

about my dealer, I don’t know if I should tell you. Look, i like my dealer and I didn’t write this post to complain about my experience. It’s simply just a sharing of my Hifi journey. So, please no hard feeling and let’s enjoy more music.
cheers

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
Thanks for that Worldtime. As a PF ultra owner I have wondered about the comparison . Clearly they are both cracking units as you would expect and I would not be surprised if the nuances of system synergy may make the difference. I can now put my buyers remorse energy into other components :)
Cheers
Phil
Agreed. For this level of gears, it’s more about personal preference and system synergy. Both are top notch sound.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Congrats on a great system.
I have used the Pink Faun Ultra for a few years now and I am very happy with it.
I especially like Stylus and prefer it to Roon sonically. Bonus is its free and built it :)
If you have the opportunity try demo/listening to dual Ultra it is another big step forward. The results really surprised me. Better in every way.

Reactions: Dane33

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I am really interested in this thread. The Ultra or the Extreme.

A question. I heard, that a sub supplier to Taiko is Pink Faun. Correct? I don’t remember from where nor what parts.

My project for this year is upgrading my power cords. Next year my plan is to replace my old Melco N1Z. I see two main option. Just replacing it with their top version or make a “bigger” change. This second option is also to replace my Naim streamer at the same time. Meaning going for the Ultra or the Extreme and a DAC. I don’t think it will be a huge difference in price between these two main options. But believe that to replace my streamer with one of these two streamers would add sonic value.

I have not heard nor seen any of these two streamers but believe both are really good. I have a Lan cable from PF and their modified Melco S100 switch. That switch really impacted the sound. Right now without hearing these two streamers I would initially try the Ultra due to my positive experience buying from PF (and Farad) .

A question to @Bobbi . Dual Ultra is what?

Reactions: RdW and Re-tread

Pink Faun

Dec 2, 2019
www.pinkfaun.com
A question to @Bobbi . Dual Ultra is what?
This is an extension to the 2.16 ultra music server, which can be added later or ordered in one go with the server. The first dual units have already been delivered. At the Munich high-end 2023 the DUAL will be heard in several rooms. More info and official introduction coming soon.

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
Congrats on a great system.
I have used the Pink Faun Ultra for a few years now and I am very happy with it.
I especially like Stylus and prefer it to Roon sonically. Bonus is its free and built it :)
If you have the opportunity try demo/listening to dual Ultra it is another big step forward. The results really surprised me. Better in every way.
Thanks. Yes, stylus is the game changer. I was listening to Roon during most of the comparison session, and in the last 2-3 days I thought ok, let’s try stylus, since my dealer said it sounds better. Once it started to play, I was shocked how good, how analog and natural sounding it is, and made my mind to keep the unit.

since then, I never played Roon, but I do miss the Roon operation and my long playlists there…..

will ask my dealer what dual ultra is, maybe try it on day.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
This is an extension to the 2.16 ultra music server, which can be added later or ordered in one go with the server. The first dual units have already been delivered. At the Munich high-end 2023 the DUAL will be heard in several rooms. More info and official introduction coming soon.
Thanks, My plan was to visit Munich but unfortunately need to be in Amsterdam more or less the same dates.

springson

Jan 5, 2022
Generally?I agree with worldtime. I would like to share my opinions later about difference between Pinkfaun and Taiko. to Single server, Each has its advantages? but Dual Pink model is wonderful compare to my Clear Aduio statement. Then? I do a bravo action? Dual for Taiko and pink which Taiko run roon through LMS and Pink run euphony as endpiont...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Reactions: flkin

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Have any PF ultra owners installed the new software update.
I am astounded at the uptick in sq... more clarity from top to bottom ... another move towards a more lifelike quality
Bravo !
Phil

Reactions: worldtime

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
I’m on the latest 0531 on my PF 2.16x. I feel there’s some improvement too but due to switching of other components in my system, I can’t be sure how much the improvement is.

Perhaps the uptick is due to the removal of the incessant and unnecessary disc access in the previous version. Despite tracks being fully buffered or OS loaded in Ramroot the disc access was around once every second. Not any more!

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I’m on the latest 0531 on my PF 2.16x. I feel there’s some improvement too but due to switching of other components in my system, I can’t be sure how much the improvement is.

Perhaps the uptick is due to the removal of the incessant and unnecessary disc access in the previous version. Despite tracks being fully buffered or OS loaded in Ramroot the disc access was around once every second. Not any more!
I sold my 2.16x to a friend and he has reported an improvement from upgrades also so I am sure your correct.. presume this is some trickle down from the PF euphony developmemt which I understand is pretty wide ranging and been going on for over a year.. the user interface is also dramatically better.. could be goodbye to roon for me :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing