My (SMT) room

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on a well thought out system. Are you adding Zanden power amps as well?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Reactions: Cellcbern

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Marcus, what a wonderful system.
Would you please tell more to the two changes with the Kuzma: from XL4 to XLDC and from 11 to 14” 4Point?

I use the Zanden 1200 and 3000 as well, have had Kuzma Airline and 11 4Point on Stabi Reference, sold them all, but now I am interested in a 14” for my Lyra Atlas. (Alternative choice would be an AS Axiom.)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I wrote a few words about the differences between 11” and 14” 4Point on AN:

Re. XL4 and XL DC I can say the DC has more precise transients. Authority, speed and dynamics are considerably improved. Also DC better controls sudden bursts of energy and is timbraly richer. Once you hear the XL DC there is no going back to XL4.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks Jeffrey for reminding me. A lot has changed since 2013, only Finite Elemente MR racks remained untouched.

If my memory serves me well, the first thing I changed was Kuzma XL drive system from 4 AC motors to one DC and upgraded Magnum Dynalab MD-108T to Signature. Then I sold Karan KAM 2000 monos and bought conrad-johnson ART monos and invested in Tripoint Troy Elite NG and Emperor grounding cables. Soon after that, the standard 11 inch Kuzma 4Point made a place for 14 inch ruby bearings version and all Cardas Clear rev1 were substituted for the Clear Beyond. Then the Conrad-Johnson GAT S2 left its place for the Zanden 3000 Mk2.

A decision to sell Avalon Time was quite hard but Time simply became the weakest link and a pair of used Isis was my only wish. Unfortunately I wasn’t successful in getting a pair for almost two years, so had to find a substitute and chose AlsyVox Botticelli.

Since then, my Benz LP-S became quite old and was in need for retipping. Instead of that, I decided to buy Kuzma’s flagship CAR 60. I didn’t plan to change my most beloved phono stage Zanden 1200 Mk3 anytime soon but when I got an enthusiastic feedback from my friend, I could not resist and bought the Signature.

Future Plan is AlsyVox Botticelli external crossovers and new power amps (conrad-johnson ART monos are already for sale if anybody's interested...).

View attachment 72920 View attachment 72921
What a wonderful room and system :cool:
I guess the AlsyVoxes have a massively different presentation than your former Avalons :D
What amps are you planning to replace the CJs with?
I'm pretty sure the CJs have more than enough juice...

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
What a wonderful room and system :cool:
I guess the AlsyVoxes have a massively different presentation than your former Avalons :D
What amps are you planning to replace the CJs with?
I'm pretty sure the CJs have more than enough juice...
Yes, cj ART monos have more than enough juice but that’s not the reason I decided to sell them. ;) Looking for a solid state or hybrid alternative but not yet decided...

Reactions: christoph

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on a well thought out system. Are you adding Zanden power amps as well?
Thanks Jeffrey. Zanden is certainly in the game but waiting for a new higher power model in the modern line. Unfortunately I don’t know when it’ll hit the market, so I’m considering some other options too.

Reactions: jeff1225

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Reactions: amadeus

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, cj ART monos have more than enough juice but that’s not the reason I decided to sell them. ;) Looking for a solid state or hybrid alternative but not yet decided...
Thanks for your answer, Marcus.

Did you also consider a powerful (P)SET for the AlsoyVoxes with their easy to drive impedance and their quite high sensitivity?
Also considering that your room is not very big.

I would love to hear the AlsyVoxes with excellent powerful (P)SET like the KR Audio Kronzillas or the Aries Cerat Concero 65 :cool:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks Jeffrey for reminding me. A lot has changed since 2013, only Finite Elemente MR racks remained untouched.

If my memory serves me well, the first thing I changed was Kuzma XL drive system from 4 AC motors to one DC and upgraded Magnum Dynalab MD-108T to Signature. Then I sold Karan KAM 2000 monos and bought conrad-johnson ART monos and invested in Tripoint Troy Elite NG and Emperor grounding cables. Soon after that, the standard 11 inch Kuzma 4Point made a place for 14 inch ruby bearings version and all Cardas Clear rev1 were substituted for the Clear Beyond. Then the Conrad-Johnson GAT S2 left its place for the Zanden 3000 Mk2.

A decision to sell Avalon Time was quite hard but Time simply became the weakest link and a pair of used Isis was my only wish. Unfortunately I wasn’t successful in getting a pair for almost two years, so had to find a substitute and chose AlsyVox Botticelli.

Since then, my Benz LP-S became quite old and was in need for retipping. Instead of that, I decided to buy Kuzma’s flagship CAR 60. I didn’t plan to change my most beloved phono stage Zanden 1200 Mk3 anytime soon but when I got an enthusiastic feedback from my friend, I could not resist and bought the Signature.

Future Plan is AlsyVox Botticelli external crossovers and new power amps (conrad-johnson ART monos are already for sale if anybody's interested...).

View attachment 72920 View attachment 72921
Beautiful. May i ask what you have supporting your amp stands?

Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Did you also consider a powerful (P)SET for the AlsoyVoxes with their easy to drive impedance and their quite high sensitivity?
Actually no. Never had the opportunity to try any of them in my system.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
How about the Zanden 9600 monos?
Too obvious? :oops:
Yes, maybe but would prefer more power. I tried once 8120 which is more powerful on paper than 9600 but didn’t like the result...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, maybe but would prefer more power. I tried once 8120 which is more powerful on paper than 9600 but didn’t like the result...
Ok.
I'm curious with what you will end up :D

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks. Also Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Sorry I meant what feet do you have under your FE Master Reference amp stands? I use cerabases under mine but yours look very close to the floor?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Sorry I meant what feet do you have under your FE Master Reference amp stands? I use cerabases under mine but yours look very close to the floor?
Cardas Myrtle blocks. Cerabases didn’t work well in my “new” room (solid parquet on concrete floor) although they were a match made in heaven in my old apartment with solid wood floor.

Reactions: howiebrou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing