Mytek Manhattan

Bruce,

I hope this is a sorted-out unit :cool:

Been digging the Mytek Manhattan. So versatile! Using it with Pyramix Native now, but works perfectly with all Consumer players as well.
Will be comparing it with my Lampizator DSD DAC at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society this Tuesday. Everyone please come out and hear some great DSD!!

Manhattan.jpg

Another shot playing DSD256fs

View attachment 19331

Nice. It will be interesting to see if Mytek introduces an 8 Channel edition of the Manhattan DAC with DSD 256 for the home + audiophile market to compete with the exaSound e28 and the upcoming 8 and 16 channel models of Merging's Network Attached DAC (NADAC) for Multichannel DSD playback.

Looking forward to hearing how the Mytek / Lampizator DSD comparison goes at the event.

The beauties of 256fs (Quad DSD)

Just got the new Mytek Manhattan in for review. I'll be writing a bit on it for Stereomojo, but you'll get a first hand view of what I think as I put it through its paces against the mighty Lampi, Horus and Playback Designs.

View attachment 18139

Isn't this a beauty! We're encouraged to see so many high end companies entering this market. There is certainly a serious contingent of music lovers ready for the next generation of high resolution dacs.

Brian Moura, thank you for pointing me to this thread. Great to see the flexibility of the Pyramix software in action. I can reiterate with pleasure that working with the HAPI and Merging Technologies Pyramix software was rewarding and very stable. No hardware or software glitches at all, and we had the system on without reboot for almost two weeks as we prepared our first analog tapes for release in 256 DSD. Merging Technologies is a Swiss company knows what it is doing.

I also saw the above reference to Merging's NADAC, which we anticipate will be similar in design to the HAPI and HORUS professional models that we use in the studio. Where audiophiles could be supremely interested in the NADAC, however, is that I suspect the algorithms for the analog to digital and later digital to analog filters will be mirrors of one another. In a young format like DSD, where there is no set "standard," this could be helpful for audiophiles who want the final analog result to most-closely resemble the analog original. I write this without having seen or heard the new NADAC yet.

I use the exaSound e22 in my personal system, and like it very much. I cannot tell you if the filter algorithms exaSound uses are the same as those used by Merging but the results are certainly satisfying. exaSound makes both stereo and surround sound models.

For people who have not yet experimented with the various sampling rates of DSD, I invite you to take a look at the free tracks available from NativeDSD.com. These are from multiple labels, including two free tracks from Yarlung:

http://goo.gl/kcRScw

If you like what you hear, NativeDSD carries music from 23 labels: http://goo.gl/Nnhldx If you have DACs that will play all three DSD sampling rates, please make sure to experiment with 256. A few brave labels (including Yarlung Records) offer the 256 sampling rate.

Here is our contribution from Yarlung Records: http://goo.gl/GQSE4g

Please let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

Bob

Been digging the Mytek Manhattan. So versatile! Using it with Pyramix Native now, but works perfectly with all Consumer players as well.
Will be comparing it with my Lampizator DSD DAC at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society this Tuesday. Everyone please come out and hear some great DSD!!

View attachment 19305

Amazing you have time in your day to deal with putting people to sleep, listening to analog and digital...you must have a 48 hr day...:p
Very little sleep....

Amazing you have time in your day to deal with putting people to sleep, listening to analog and digital...you must have a 48 hr day...:p
Very little sleep....

Sleep? You mean there's something else I have to do??

I'm curious how Mytek's upcoming 11.2MHz DSD ADC will stack up against the rest of DSD recorders...

Right now, Merging has pretty much the only option for most studios with Horus and HAPI. Unless you have access to the 11.2 Mhz DSD ADC being used in Japan by JVC for their DSD 256 downloads.
A Mytek ADC will be an interesting new choice when it arrives.

Last night's setup at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society using a Rowland amp and Genesis speakers.

PNWAS.jpg

Last night's setup at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society using a Rowland amp and Genesis speakers.

Nice. Any info on the music played? Or reactions? I'm guessing that setup generated some interest in DACs and DSD music downloads! :)

DSD128fs/256fs files were all taken from the Horus via a Studer A80RC MkII.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Ellington - Blues in Orbit
Hugh Masekela - Stimela
Shelby Lynn - How Can I Be Sure
Sonny Boy Williamson - Don't Let Your Left Hand Know
Bad Company - Seagull

Thanks again for bringing in the Mytech and Lampizator for comparison Bruce.

Both good sounding DAC's. I felt the Lampy was more clear, pure, and natural. Seemed most liked the Lampy best.

O'kay... here's the deal. The Lampi scored big time. It really wasn't even a contest. Everyone that I spoke with gave the Lampi high marks for its natural tone and coherency. Some felt the Mytek was really good at 256fs, but that went out the door when we started the second half with the Lampi.
To top it off..... there is a gentleman that is a member of our club that used to work for a major PCM DAC manufacturer. He said it was the best DSD he's ever heard and that every DSD DAC manufacturer should be following their lead.
I kinda' wanted confirmation of what I've been hearing the past year. I can't believe I've had this almost a year and it still never ceases to amaze me!
The Mytek is a very versatile and commendable DAC and it does a lot of things. It really didn't do anything wrong. On the Shelby Lynn cut, the mic overload was a little more unbearable than on the Lampi, but it just didn't move your soul. Another thing that I heard someone say. This was anecdotal, but a few folks heard the image shift between the DSD128fs and DSD256fs cuts. I think Mytek may be doing something different in 256fs and I'll have to do more testing when I have the time.
But for me.... and I think I can speak for the rest of our club.... The DSD champ last night was the Lampi. Thanks Lukasz. Can't wait to hear the Big 7 !!

Bruce do you have one on order ?? If so congrates
What tubes do you. Plan to start with ???
Al

Good moring Bruce. No sleep fort the weary. I know you have the dsd only and I am very glad you love it. You being who you are Means a lot to me and others reading your posts . I meant the B7 lampi ? Ypu posted about.

Good moring Bruce. No sleep fort the weary. I know you have the dsd only and I am very glad you love it. You being who you are Means a lot to me and others reading your posts . I meant the B7 lampi ? Ypu posted about.

Oh sorry..... I'd sure love to have a B7 here in the studio..... PRETTY PLEASE LUKASZ!!!!

I've also heard from the Pacific Northwest Audio Society that they want to purchase a Lampi as well for their Reference DAC...!!! Group buy anyone???

Oh sorry..... I'd sure love to have a B7 here in the studio..... PRETTY PLEASE LUKASZ!!!!

I've also heard from the Pacific Northwest Audio Society that they want to purchase a Lampi as well for their Reference DAC...!!! Group buy anyone???

I bet Fred at Lampizator North America could make that happen. Much as they are doing with the group buy of the Lampizator Amber DAC.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129350.0

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing