Nagra Reference Phono Cartridge

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I thought i’d really gone headfirst into crazytown 18 years ago when i paid $11,000 at Lyric Hifi for the PLP, to go with exhorbitantly-priced VPAs (i paid $14,000 used) but they were the best audio investment i ever made, and i miss them dearly (kid’s tuition took precedence, darnitall). And it is unlikely that i will ever experience another Nagra component in my system, given the upwardly spirally costs. But i agree, the Nagra sound is very special, and if i could swing it, i’d be rolling around in those beautiful silver boxes of swiss magnificence and not looking back.
That Nagra PLP with VPA's I bet was one sweet system! I had a Nagra PLL that started me on the Nagra journey.

Reactions: Robert Young

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes ! My retailer had the opportunity to compare the HD pre phono to the Zanden 1200 and to the Soulution 755, and he told me that the Nagra is a big step-up. Another argument is the adequation with the Nagra cartridge
What a great demo session I bet !! Agree on the cartridge adding also...

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
The CH Précision P10 has a current sensing input, which seems interesting ; furthermore, CH has always supplied its unique Gain/Loading Wizard set-up aid with the P1. Based on a 7” disc, this offers users the ability to map the frequency response of the connected cartridge and adjust the gain and loading (of the voltage inputs) accordingly. Is the Nagra designed this way (i mean with a current sensing input) ?

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
That Nagra PLP with VPA's I bet was one sweet system! I had a Nagra PLL that started me on the Nagra journey.
Yep, driving Sonus faber Amati Homages i bought from Carl Bernstein (yes, THE Carl Bernstein: serious audiodude and super nice guy), with the first Teres 340 from Chris Brady, Schroeder Reference and Allaerts MC-1b. Digital was a Sony SCD-1. Still have the ‘table (in storage) arm and cart, but the speakers were sold when i moved back to NYC from DC. I’m sick about it all. But then again, my hearing generally sucks, got tinnitus in the right ear (my own internal supertweeter) and my remaing earning potential is sub-optimal. At least i still like listening to mudic, even if the kit i play it on isn’t as fab.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yep, driving Sonus faber Amati Homages i bought from Carl Bernstein (yes, THE Carl Bernstein: serious audiodude and super nice guy), with the first Teres 340 from Chris Brady, Schroeder Reference and Allaerts MC-1b. Digital was a Sony SCD-1. Still have the ‘table (in storage) arm and cart, but the speakers were sold when i moved back to NYC from DC. I’m sick about it all. But then again, my hearing generally sucks, got tinnitus in the right ear (my own internal supertweeter) and my remaing earning potential is sub-optimal. At least i still like listening to mudic, even if the kit i play it on isn’t as fab.
When I was in college, I had a pair of Magnepans, a used Audio Research pre and amp and a Rega table. It's still one of my favorite systems. You have a fantastic table set up!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The CH Précision P10 has a current sensing input, which seems interesting ; furthermore, CH has always supplied its unique Gain/Loading Wizard set-up aid with the P1. Based on a 7” disc, this offers users the ability to map the frequency response of the connected cartridge and adjust the gain and loading (of the voltage inputs) accordingly. Is the Nagra designed this way (i mean with a current sensing input) ?
I seriously doubt that the Nagra HD Phono is designed as the CH Precision. I suspect Nagra has a very carefully wound transformer and a very linear and quiet tube amplification stage. I am also guessing the way they apply the RIAA filtering is unique along with the cartridge loading. They haven't released a lot of details yet. I'm hoping they do soon !

Reactions: XV-1 and Zeotrope

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
When I was in college, I had a pair of Magnepans, a used Audio Research pre and amp and a Rega table. It's still one of my favorite systems. You have a fantastic table set up!
It’s a cool table…but i now use a slate-plinthed Lenco L75/PTP 6 with the Schroeder/Allaerts and a Bokrand 12”/SPU Meister Silver or Sony XL-55 pro, and a fully-restored early series 1 Thorens TD 124 with multiple arm/cartridge combinations. It’s fantastic (Greg Metz at STS in Tennessee did the restoration). I can’t afford the toys any more, so i get my fun by finding amazing and under-appreciated MM, MI, Electret and early MC carts and finding the right arm to make them sing. Also using vintage SUTs from RCa and Altec. Right now I’m really amazed by the Sony and by a late-‘80s Monster Cable Sigma Genesis 2000. And I have a huge softspot for B&O SP-12s and Empire 880ps, and many of the Micro Acoustics are tremendous…all for 1/1000th the cost of a CH preamp. Like i said, my ears are shot, so i’m probably filling in the gaps mentally. In the meantime, i enjoy living vicariously through many of you!!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The Nagra Classic phono and my former Nagra VPS can both ran in symmetrical or asymmetrical input. So no XLR's, but can still get a balanced signal into it via the RCA's and ground lug, and a certain jumper arrangement on the input boards.

From the Nagra Classic Phono user manual:

View attachment 115556
Yes and I have a photo of the input side of the HD Phono, it does have a “balanced” RCA input, so you could just change the XLR to RCA connectors and use this input (I think?).

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 22

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Yes, my dealer told me he could replace the XLR plug with a RCA plug; another possibility is to use the Cardas XLR/RCA adaptor

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
I have placed my order for the Nagra HD Phono, I'll trade my Classic Phono/Classic PSU and 2 Nagra VFS-L's in...expected delivery in late Oct.
Sorry for asking, but do you have confirmation of the price? ( I know, it's a vulgar question ! )

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sorry for asking, but do you have confirmation of the price? ( I know, it's a vulgar question ! )
$87,500. It's not a vulgar question but gulp on the price. My dealer traded in my Nagra Classic Phono/PSU so not such a big bite.

I am also swapping my Nagra MC-6 for the MC-4. The HD Phono's Moving Coil input 1 is optimized for lower impedance cartridges. There is a MM input and a future moving coil transformer for a wider range of cartridge that can be used in the moving coil input 2 spot.

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes and I have a photo of the input side of the HD Phono, it does have a “balanced” RCA input, so you could just change the XLR to RCA connectors and use this input (I think?).
It's a little fuzzy in this pic, but under the right MC1 input RCA you can see the Symmetrical / Asymmetrical toggle switch.

Reactions: Rotatoubib

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Thanks. Maybe it's a stupid question, but why didn't they put a XLR plug, as on HD pre?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks. Maybe it's a stupid question, but why didn't they put a XLR plug, as on HD pre?

The HD Pre has a fully balanced input transformer option, I have it. It definitely sounds better with my dCS dac than the XLR into the singled ended input alone. I think they are assuming that most are using RCA cables, and if you want symmetrical, it can easily be done. And it isn't a fully balanced gain stage(s)...

I think one reason this is going to be a great phono stage is the cobalt transformer. It's one reason this why this phono stage is different from the crowd. It's supposed to be very linear from 1.6hz through 50khz and optimized for lower impedance cartridges, why I am swapping my MC-6 for the MC-4. You can adjust loading while playing to get the best sound. Via the remote or a front panel nob from 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 110 ohm and some more in between up to 250. I am running my MC-6 at 100ohms in my Classic Phono and can easily hear the other loading cards I have say 180 or 300ohms. I don't know yet how many eq curves it has or how they implement this.

I do agree with you, I like XLR connectors better than most RCA connectors.

Last edited:
Reactions: asiufy

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
There are 4 EQ curves.

The reason they didn’t include XLR inputs is because they believe the sound is compromised:
”… the inductance from the transformer is more when it is symmetrical compared to asymmetric, and this changes the sound quality. Balanced is only interesting when you have very long cable.”

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
There are 4 EQ curves.

The reason they didn’t include XLR inputs is because they believe the sound is compromised:
”… the inductance from the transformer is more when it is symmetrical compared to asymmetric, and this changes the sound quality. Balanced is only interesting when you have very long cable.”
Interesting ! Thanks for posting that.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
There are 4 EQ curves.

With all due respect, that (Nagra) is a very absurd explanation. Omitting XLR input is the right decision and understandable but turning naturally balanced MC signal into unbalanced at the input of a phono stage doesn't make sense. They may choose to use full balanced active gain stages if they don't want to use transformers (SUT).

BTW I'm using a SUT that operates in balanced mode but can be switched to unbalanced. It sounds much better in balanced. The same is true for 6 or 7 of my friends using similar SUTs.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Omitting XLR input is the right decision and understandable .
Since we are speaking not of circuit topology, but merely connector type, may I ask why?

Reactions: Rotatoubib

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Since we are speaking not of circuit topology, but merely connector type, may I ask why?
XLR termination is not as common as RCA on tonearm cables. That’s why offering RCA input makes more sense. Offering both will require a switch that will degrade the sound.

As you’ve noted circuit topology is another story and independent from connection type.

Reactions: Zeotrope

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
if you want to transport an earthfree balanced signal, the cabling is very important two identical inner conductors and shielding of the cable to earth potential (housing phonoamp) not to signal ground. with a symmetrical signal there is no signal ground is very often done wrong and thus the advantage against interference is wasted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing