Nagra Reference Phono Cartridge

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello! no news?
Sorry what are you looking for? If it's how do I like the cartridge, it's fantastic. My #1 cartridge now. Great resolution, body, extension, does it all...

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Same feeling as you! Do you still use 180 loading? With my Esoteric pre phono, 300 seems best , but its difficult for me to choose between 100, 200 and 300

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes, I have settled on 180. But like you I could live with a higher or lower setting. I am going to revisit loading soon, I guess I have about 50 hours on this cartridge now. The sheer amount of resolution, portrayed so naturally, I just love. While super hi Rez, it's relaxed, easy, pulls me in...

Reactions: Zeotrope

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
I agree. I am now looking for a new pre phono ( my Esoteric E2 is only 12 months old !). CH Precision P1 is probably very good, but the new Nagra HD could be better, as a perfect fit with the cartridge ( hope it will be in Munich)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I heard the HD phono will be in Munich. They have apparently finished the prototype and sourcing parts for a production run soon. And I suspect the two (cartridge and phono stage) were developed together. I love my Nagra Classic Phono/Classic PSU. It's something else to consider...although I will likely upgrade to HD Phono soon...

Reactions: Robert Young

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
I will soon upgrade my Nagra HD pre ( I got mine in October 2018, a few months before power supply upgrade). Did you upgrade your pre, or did you buy one with the upgrade?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I will soon upgrade my Nagra HD pre ( I got mine in October 2018, a few months before power supply upgrade). Did you upgrade your pre, or did you buy one with the upgrade?
I upgraded my HD Pre about a year or two ago. I also added the input balancing transformers for my dCS Vivaldi DAC. Both were nice improvements on a already fantastic preamp.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Thank you! I was hesitating as I have to sent it to Switzerland, but if its a real improvement I will do it

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It's real
Thank you! I was hesitating as I have to sent it to Switzerland, but if its a real improvement I will do it
It's real. You won't regret it (other than being apart from it for a week or two!)

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
About pre phono, your Nagra Classic is a tube preamp, as the HD pre phono will be. It is probably a better fit with the high resolution of the cartridge than a CH Precision , which might be too " neutral" . Is it your feeling too?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
About pre phono, your Nagra Classic is a tube preamp, as the HD pre phono will be. It is probably a better fit with the high resolution of the cartridge than a CH Precision , which might be too " neutral" . Is it your feeling too?
I haven't heard the CH Precision, but I would suspect that as well, certainly something to listen for in a demo. With my Classic Phono, I have been able to nudge around the sound some with tube choices. It came stock with tightly matched Genelex tubes. Which are quite good for the money. I have also tried Telefunkens (a little to much sparkle for me), Amperex (love these great blend of a touch of sweetness, but very linear and excellent extremes) and now I have Mullards in, which seem to be the lowest in noise, but a touch more sweet than the Amperex-this seems a good match with the Nagra cartridge. In my HD Pre, it came from the factory with NOS Mullards, but I have the Amperex tubes in it now which I like best.

This is a little like loading settings on the phono stage, they all sound good, but each combination has its merits. It's like do you want a merlot or cab with dinner...both are good, but pair better with certain things.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

The CH in current mode is actually not "too neutral" it is very dynamic but still stays sweet. HOWEVER it does not like high internal impedance carts, with these it surely can sound cold and forced to some degree. I have no idea where the Nagra's is in terms of internal impedance. I'm interested though because EMT was mentioned and I have an EMT "Banana" arm and am looking for a cartridge to go with it. I just got the SME mount slider to adjust for the overhang of non EMT carts :)

IMO it would be a waste to have a P1 and not employ it's Current Drive input. It is IME better that its I/V.

Just my two cents :)

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Thank you Jack. There are two Nagra cartridges, one with an internal impedance of 4 ohms and an output of 0.30 mv, and one with an internal impedance of 6 ohms and an output of 0.45 mv ( mine)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ooooh that is right in the P1's happy range. For Jfrech and I though our GFS don't play too well with P1s :(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Clearaudio Gold Finger Statements

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes, I have settled on 180. But like you I could live with a higher or lower setting. I am going to revisit loading soon, I guess I have about 50 hours on this cartridge now. The sheer amount of resolution, portrayed so naturally, I just love. While super hi Rez, it's relaxed, easy, pulls me in...

Rotatoubib, I moved up to my 270 loading card. Brought out more body and fleshed things out better, lil less zip. I may move up to 470 card today but that maybe to much of a good thing. Could be my cartridge is breaking in some, guessing it has 70 hours on it now. Also could be my new table and a preference thing...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing