Natural Sound

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was going by your comment in an earlier thread on Orchestral choral music and recordings. I had posted some album covers including a picture of the Solti/Mahler 8, and you replied.

No problem if you don't have it - I just was hoping to hear a video of your natural sounding Lamm/Vitavox combo playing some complex/challenging large scale music - besides the Meta/Scheherazade of course.

Tim, I’ll have to look in my pile of un cleaned new purchases or find something to record that fits your criteria.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
@tima , You are absolutely correct. I found Mahler's 8th. I grew up being driven into Chicago by my parents to hear the CSO. We heard Solti several times before Giulini arrived in the late 60s, or perhaps as a guest conductor. I was quite young. The LP arrived ten months ago and is not yet cleaned. It got lost in the turmoil of the seven pallets from Utah and the collection of 400 or so LPs from my grandfather. Then everything went on hold during sailing season. I just found the box and will clean it. You have a good memory. Is there a particular movement or section that you would like me to record on video? Note in the photo that I also have your recommended Mozart Requiem on Proprius. I saw the recent Bond movie and missed the old ones. I had to pull out my Dr. No soundtrack, LOL.

Sounds like you've got expectations, Tim. Hope you are not disappointed.

IMG_2367.JPG
I

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
@tima , You are absolutely correct. I found Mahler's 8th. I grew up being driven into Chicago by my parents to hear the CSO. We heard Solti several times before Giulini arrived in the late 60s, or perhaps as a guest conductor. I was quite young. The LP arrived ten months ago and is not yet cleaned. It got lost in the turmoil of the seven pallets from Utah and the collection of 400 or so LPs from my grandfather. Then everything went on hold during sailing season. I just found the box and will clean it. You have a good memory. Is there a particular movement or section that you would like me to record on video? Note in the photo that I also have your recommended Mozart Requiem on Proprius. I saw the recent Bond movie and missed the old ones. I had to pull out my Dr. No soundtrack, LOL.

Sounds like you've got expectations, Tim. Hope you are not disappointed.

I had mentioned Mahler 8 only because I thought you had it, it is large scale music with choir and orchestra, you seem to like choral music and I like Mahler. I grew up in DC; my parents were into stage plays moreso than symphony so I got to see stuff like 'West Side Story', The King and I', and 'Camelot' though did go the National Symphony on field trips. We kinda traded places - you went to the East Coast and after tours out West and in the Sourth, I ended up in Cheeselandia where audio was more vibrant when I arrived, but not so much now with the unfortunate demise of many B&M dealers.

I make no specific request wrt Mahler 8. If you listen to it before recording, pick something you like or whatever you find suitable. Nick-named 'The Symphony of a Thousand' (though not specified by Mahler) it is divided into two parts - unified, according to critics - by the idea of redemption through love and confidence in humanity. In part 1 Mahler draws from a Latin Hymn and in part 2 - as with so many Germanic-Austrio artists - from Goethe's Faust. During its first performance in 1910 (conducted by M) he was aided by Otto Klemperer - so if someone is looking for a Mahler album there's a good clue about a conductor to choose. It was very well received though some modern critics think less of it today. Stowkowski premiered it in the US.

I truly have no expectations other than wanting to hear it through your system. That Mozart Requiem was recommended by the General.

Reactions: christoph and Chop

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I love this particular Mahler 8th.
On 21st Nov 2000 I was fortunate enough to attend a performance of the 8th as a World Wildlife Fund charity event in the Albert Hall with Lorin Maazel conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus. To this day, one of the most memorable concert experiences of my life.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
For Mahler 8s worthy of the "the thousand" designation, I recommend Horestein's 1959 recording with the London Symphony Orchestra or Mitropoulos 1960(?) with the Vienna Philarmonic. IMO, both have their place in any Mahler collection :)
Despite the historical recordings the energy and the scale come through -- or sould do, if the system is well set-up & calibrated. Excellent for testing naturalness & musical coherence.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
or Mahler 8s worthy of the "the thousand" designation, I recommend
I was fortunate enough to attend a performance of the 8th as a World Wildlife Fund charity event i

Guys as much as I enjoy it let's leave further Mahler talk out of Peter's Natural Sound thread. :) You are happily welcome to contribute to the Mahler thread listed in my signature.

Reactions: Chop

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Here is some Francescatti that I first heard on @Tango 's system, so I ordered it. One great use for these videos is to share music. This recording is my first with my Colibri XPP cartridge. It picks up the pace around 1:50.

Very nice. Wondering if you checked your TT speed, or maybe it’s the recording. The violin sounds a bit flat (Sorry, I have the burden of a perfect pitch, a real PITA most of the time). I can be wrong all together, that has happened before ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Very nice. Wondering if you checked your TT speed, or maybe it’s the recording. The violin sounds a bit flat (Sorry, I have the burden of a perfect pitch, a real PITA most of the time). I can be wrong all together, that has happened before ;)

yes I checked the speed. According to the Road Runner tachometer, speed is 33.337 +/- 0.002. Perhaps I should try very carefully to adjust it down slightly but the adjustment pot can’t be fine tuned to that level of precision.

I’ve always said posting videos comes at great risk if one cares about such things.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryD

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
:rolleyes: Wow… or is it flutter?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I would get out my recording of the million monarch butterfly migration south but that might affect the sailors delivering their boats to the Caribbean this time of year.
Lol

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Another version, more brilliant, perhaps a bit much, but nevertheless.

Henry, I hesitate to compare a recording of a live mic feed to an iPhone video of a music system, let alone claims of brilliance. It’s just not apples to apples.

You should stream that performance to your system and post a system video on a new thread.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Henry, I hesitate to compare a recording of a live mic feed to an iPhone video of a music system, let alone claims of brilliance. It’s just not apples to apples.

You should stream that performance to your system and post a system video on a new thread.
Haha, I don't think so...
BTW, I put that for you to hear a wonderful performance, when I said 'brilliant', I meant the performance, not the sound (just edited the post to clarify).

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Another interpretation

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Al, you already said the above video is poor a couple of years ago, so just saving you the trouble

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, you already said the above video is poor a couple of years ago, so just saving you the trouble

Oh, very considerate from you, much appreciated ;).

Reactions: jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing